Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year module registration now open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Koala09 wrote: »
    My timetable for sem 1 shows both econ100010 and econ10020 but none of them for sem 2 and the module description for the second one says its a prerequisite or something i assume it means you got to do the first one before you study the second one? So why are they both stuck on sem 1 on the timetable?

Think they the core modules, you can do them in either Sem. 1 or Sem. 2. Obviously you've picked them both in semester one, but you can change them around. I made the exact same mistake when going into 1st year. So yeah, not showing in sem 2 cos you haven't selected them for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 miglytia

What electives do you usually choose? I mean the ones that go deeper into your course or the things that you would be interested in and have nothing to do with your course? Just I am thinking isn't it hard to do few not related subjects? And maybe something related to the course would help?

miglytia wrote: »
    What electives do you usually choose? I mean the ones that go deeper into your course or the things that you would be interested in and have nothing to do with your course? Just I am thinking isn't it hard to do few not related subjects? And maybe something related to the course would help?

Some people do things related to their course, some do something totally different, but which they are interested in. Thats the idea of it, to give you the choice to do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

miglytia wrote: »

It depends really. I've done modules from other courses out of interest and while I really enjoyed them, other courses have completely different styles of examining and marking so it was hard to get used to that. I would probably recommend doing something related, unless you can find one of the mickey mouse courses that fit in with your timetable.

Or chose an intro to a language, v. little work needed. Just turn up to the lectures, do min amount of work and a B is almost guaranteed.

Depends what you're looking for really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

done. i woke up at twelve and thought it was too late but i got my physiotherapy electives! :D

im only in for one hour on fridays for the whole year.. that cant be right?

when do they put up tutorial times and all that stuff?

anyway, woop woop! im all set!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

done. i woke up at twelve and thought it was too late but i got my physiotherapy electives! :D

im only in for one hour on fridays for the whole year.. that cant be right?

when do they put up tutorial times and all that stuff?

anyway, woop woop! im all set!

If you are doing Arts you should have registered for your tutorials at the same time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Any reason as to why my elective would not show up in the Credit Statement? Also, whats it like getting between the Science Buildings & Newman in a relatively short period of time? . . . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

what does the week 1, week 3 etc ,mean on your timetable

Any reason as to why my elective would not show up in the Credit Statement? Also, whats it like getting between the Science Buildings & Newman in a relatively short period of time? . . . . ;)

Is it a provisional acception?

Also, whats it like getting between the Science Buildings & Newman in a relatively short period of time? . . . . ;)

You will be grand they are beside each other.

leesmom wrote: »

Week one the first week of college i.e beginning 7th, week 3 the 28th etc

• Advertisement

leesmom wrote: »

That would mean its a tutorial/lab, and you only show up on the weeks they are on. So Week 1 is first week obviously, and so on and so forth.

All electives are only provisional, so not showing up at all. Places will be confirmed next Friday I think, then they'll show up on your credit statement. YOu will get emails everyday saying status of electives, as in, how many places available, and how many have applied. So far, both mine over-subbed, so will be random allocation.

my timetable isnt looking that bad then i suppose, now to choose an elective, they all seem to clash with my modules:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Anyone know when will my tutorials and labs be assigned to me?

What course Fad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    What course Fad?

Science (Omnibus)

(Streams are Comp Sci, Chem and Physics, if that helps)

Sorry Im not in the know for science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm, how come when selecting times for a.. say maths in my case, it gives me 3 option. One of those 3 appears to be a single class and the other 2 seem to be a double class... heh?

Fad wrote: »
    Anyone know when will my tutorials and labs be assigned to me?
    i dont know if its the same for my course but my tutorials and labs were automatically there for me to choose from

Hmm, how come when selecting times for a.. say maths in my case, it gives me 3 option. One of those 3 appears to be a single class and the other 2 seem to be a double class... heh?

Are these 2 'doubles from 5-6. On the timetable half 5 has its own box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Are these 2 'doubles from 5-6. On the timetable half 5 has its own box.

Indeed they are! I need to learn to read if i'm gonna get through college...

• Advertisement

Indeed they are! I need to learn to read if i'm gonna get through college...

3 years later I still make the same mistake:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mushy wrote: »
    I'm not fully sure if it'll happen, but in one or two of the earlier lectures(1st/2nd week), they'll get ye to put your name on a sheet at the end of the lecture. The list you put your name on will be your tutorial time.
    Thanks, just got an email from the Politics department saying pretty much this.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Mushy wrote: »
    Daverage, ya dont really pick minors yet for first year Arts, thats more a 2nd/3rd year thing. To pick it as a 'minor'(easier to use that termonology alright), select it as subject you wanna do, but then only pick two modules, which will equal the 10 credits, which is a minor in 1st Arts.

The thing is, it let me pick it as a subject, but when I tried to pick modules at the next step it said that they were full, and that I had to either apply to do it as a minor (I guess by this they just meant taking Psychology modules to make up 10 credits) through the omnibus or get in through DN054, which I didn't get the points for. Do you think it's the case that they're actually full or is it just a matter of applying?
    I ended up picking other subjects just so that I'd have a place somewhere, so it's probably too late anyways. :(

daverage wrote: »
    The thing is, it let me pick it as a subject, but when I tried to pick modules at the next step it said that they were full, and that I had to either apply to do it as a minor (I guess by this they just meant taking Psychology modules to make up 10 credits) through the omnibus or get in through DN054, which I didn't get the points for. Do you think it's the case that they're actually full or is it just a matter of applying?
    I ended up picking other subjects just so that I'd have a place somewhere, so it's probably too late anyways. :(

For the bit in bold, thats the way I explained.

Psychology does fill up very quickly, extremely popular course, especially in 1st year modules, as the lectures are handy, only 3 tutorials over the semester, and to get a decent mark is handy enough with some cop-on. So you just have to take their word on it that they're full unfortunately. Your probably confused cos it let ya pick it as a subject yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Yeah, that kinda threw me off alright. Ah well, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

The two electives I wanna do clash with each other! I don't know what to drop & swap now..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

I have a question about electives...I read somewhere that if your in stage 1 you can only pick level 0 and level 1 electives?But in my search for electives i clicked the level 2 as well and found level 2 japanese which suits me since i did it for the leaving cert...i assume i can do it even though its not stage 0 or 1?It was also offered in sememster 1 and 2 and after i registered for semester 1 and went to do the same for semester 2 i couldnt find it anywhere.So does this mean that its the same course repeated in semesters 1 and 2 and when you register for one you can pick a different elective for semester two?I hope someone can help metongue.gif

SugoiHito wrote: »
    I have a question about electives...I read somewhere that if your in stage 1 you can only pick level 0 and level 1 electives?But in my search for electives i clicked the level 2 as well and found level 2 japanese which suits me since i did it for the leaving cert...i assume i can do it even though its not stage 0 or 1?It was also offered in sememster 1 and 2 and after i registered for semester 1 and went to do the same for semester 2 i couldnt find it anywhere.So does this mean that its the same course repeated in semesters 1 and 2 and when you register for one you can pick a different elective for semester two?I hope someone can help metongue.gif

Yeah some modules are done in semester 1 and semester 2. You can only do it once obviously. So if you picked it in sem. 1, you can pick another elective in sem. 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

SugoiHito wrote: »

AFAIK you can pick any stage regardless of what year you are in as long as you are qualified to pick them. So therefor you would be eligible to pick stage 2 japanese.

My advice (as a lazy s.o.b.) though would be to go with beginners japanese, that way you wont have to do any work and still get a good grade! Then again you might be one of those decent human beings who want to better themselves :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 zeruda

Does any one else have a lot less lab/tutorials in semester 2 compared to semester 1??

Advertisement