Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what to do

• 27-08-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I've a retractable washing line in the back garden - anyway a few weeks ago I noticed 2 cocoons (well that's what I think they are) coming from underneath the washing line box. I thought it was a catterpillar/butterfly one. Anyway the white covering came off yesterday one of them and I could see that there was an insect there, about one inch long.

This morning the white covering was back on the insect but right on the wall there is a white honeycombed sheet about 1 inch x 1 inch with another insect on it in a white covering.

What have I got?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'm struggling to picture the description.
    A photo, even a poor one may help.
    Have you any description of the insect? Could it be a spider?

Whats on the wall may be entirely different to what's under the washing line box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Hope this works - (oh I saw a butterfly around it this morning if that helps)

I don't see enough detail to bring it any further.

What vegetation/plants at bottom of wall, and if none what are the nearest plants.

And going back to thread title, what issue are they causing?

Mothman wrote: »
    I don't see enough detail to bring it any further.

What vegetation/plants at bottom of wall, and if none what are the nearest plants.

And going back to thread title, what issue are they causing?

There's no vegetation/plants in the garden - not near plants at all - I hate plants / flowers because they attract bees / wasps. I just like grass.

I don't like cats or birds in the garden. Would love to get decking but I've heard of too many people trying to get rid of rats or wasp nests underneath, which brings me back to the thread title - the issue they are causing is they are attached to my washing line and I know it might seem silly to you but I'm terrified that they will attack me if they are wasps/bees, I don't think butterflies will attack.

To be honest I'm not in love with anything that has more than two legs, or is capable of flying, but I would never hurt a living creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Deelite - I wouldn't be worried as whatever it is will do no harm and leave when it's ready. However, the term garden would appear to be a misnomer in your case. Even decking would be extremely bare looking without any plants and by their nature plants attract insects. :)

• Advertisement

Deelite - I wouldn't be worried as whatever it is will do no harm and leave when it's ready. However, the term garden would appear to be a misnomer in your case. Even decking would be extremely bare looking without any plants and by their nature plants attract insects. :)

I know I'm dreadful - I've a blank canvas really - a 70 foot garden covered with well cut grass - a landscapers dream - but a nightmare in my case!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Whatever it is, it will certainly not attack you. You need to chill about nature.

Unless you have a severe allergic reaction to wasps then you shouldn't panic about wasps. They don't fly about looking for someone to sting!

How sad not to attrack birds, butterflies, etc to the garden :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mellickricky

i think its a spider i have them in my garden ive only noticed the web recently and there's lots of them...they are black with a silky black abdomen and a grey black carapace with black legs...i think the spiders that hang out there are females..they scatter if you approach them...I dont think these webs are for catching insects rather than housing eggs....I know im probably freaking you out but to be honest if your afraid of bees and insects these are the babys to have around!!!

il try get a pic of my cacoon and spider and get back to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mellickricky

Here is what I was talking about. Spider described above.

I do think its most likely to be spider as well and physicially harmless. Most moths/butterflies are vegetarian and although some eat grass, they would pupate in the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement