Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

at the waiting list or a place off campus

• 27-08-2009 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

hey people,

i just got an email saying that i am on the waiting list for the campus they are basically saying the have no place for me right now but they sometimes get cancellations from current students ,and even if i do get one, i mightn't be living with the 1st years..and they say they may have some of those places next week...

should i wait or get a place off campus? any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Provisionally put your name down at a place off campus, but don't pay a deposit.
    At least that way you will have spent/wasted no money and will have a place to live either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I'd recommend that you start looking for houses under the presumption that you are not going to get campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

any recommendations on any places off campus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

have a look HERE

LoLth wrote: »
    have a look HERE

thanks:), i was looking at that alright and was on daft.ie rent.ie and got a list from the college...:o

not many of them has pictures though, looks like i have to go up ...and i don't know should i wait until next week or go up this weekend... *sigh*

• Advertisement

I'd go this weekend, and take a look at the college list. I got my place from that, am staying in Beaufield. Is about a 10 minute walk from old campus 15 from new, but lovely well kept house (well the one I got anyway).
    I also got that email from the college accomodation people, but am not holding my breath.

Yeh its a right pain in the ass but it has to be done and nobody else is going to do it for you I'm afraid!
    ~Candy~ wrote: »
    and got a list from the college...:o

not many of them has pictures though, looks like i have to go up ...and i don't know should i wait until next week or go up this weekend... *sigh*

Just go up this weekend (landlords wont be at work) and get it sorted as it gets harder the longer you leave it and you'll just be worrying, and to be honest the chances of getting campus on that waiting list are slim. Go fairly early and ring everyone on that list. Make sure its as up to date as possible or you'll be wasting your time. I'd ring a few up Friday evening to have a few to go to to start off.

Don't just take the first thing that is available, think about it and don't get ripped off! (pay no more than €70 - €85 a week) In saying that though, don't hang about to long if you like a place as they get snapped up very quickly. One last thing! Have a substantial amount of cash available to pay for a deposit (its usually four weeks so <€400) and make sure to get a receipt (very important for when you are moving out! nearly every landlord I've had has made it very hard to get it back, so just in case, keep it safe).

I'd go this weekend, and take a look at the college list. I got my place from that, am staying in Beaufield. Is about a 10 minute walk from old campus 15 from new, but lovely well kept house (well the one I got anyway).
    I also got that email from the college accomodation people, but am not holding my breath.

..thanks hun, is the college even open on Sat.?
    see..i should have been more orandized:P i rang up the beaufield one(i think it's your one if u got the single room lol), only a twin room left...*sniff**sniff* keeping ringing...

i am going up on sat straight after view my script...long drive..*sigh*

Beau wrote: »
    Yeh its a right pain in the ass but it has to be done and nobody else is going to do it for you I'm afraid!

Just go up this weekend (landlords wont be at work) and get it sorted as it gets harder the longer you leave it and you'll just be worrying, and to be honest the chances of getting campus on that waiting list are slim. Go fairly early and ring everyone on that list. Make sure its as up to date as possible or you'll be wasting your time. I'd ring a few up Friday evening to have a few to go to to start off.

Don't just take the first thing that is available, think about it and don't get ripped off! (pay no more than €70 - €85 a week) In saying that though, don't hang about to long if you like a place as they get snapped up very quickly. One last thing! Have a substantial amount of cash available to pay for a deposit (its usually four weeks so <€400) and make sure to get a receipt (very important for when you are moving out! nearly every landlord I've had has made it very hard to get it back, so just in case, keep it safe).

:o aw Thanks again :) i wouldn't even have thought of the deposit/cash factor...i am going up on Sat , i was preparing to pay 80-90ish..do you think the price is negociatble? are you going in to 1st year as well?

is OWNER SHARED good or bad?:eek: sorry now i am having so many questions

• Advertisement

All of the college ones are owner occupied. It's just like moving out but they landlord lives there. You still cook and clean for your self and all the rest. The only thing that's different is that they don't seem to keen for you to have friends stay over, and to be honest it is their house so you can't blame them.
    And it's only €86 a month with all bills included.
    The house I got has 2 single rooms, for first year girls only. And when I was up last week she still had the other room spare? But I suppose there are a lot of people looking for places.

i was preparing to pay 80-90ish..do you think the price is negociatble? are you going in to 1st year as well?
    You can try! Nah, just graduated and unemployed and have to much time on my hands, hence all the help!
    All of the college ones are owner occupied.

Thats not right. Very few of them are to be honest. If it says on the accommodation list that it is, it is, if not, its not. Never done it myself but personally I'd prefer not to live with my landlord.

Thats not right. Very few of them are to be honest. If it says on the accommodation list that it is, it is, if not, its not. Never done it myself but personally I'd prefer not to live with my landlord.

I meant the list I got from the college, it said at the top if they were the owner occupied or not. There was also a list of digs too.

I meant the list I got from the college, it said at the top if they were the owner occupied or not. There was also a list of digs too.

Yeh thats what I thought you meant... :confused:

And it's only €86 a month with all bills included..

sorry hun i was just wondering is it 86euro for 5days or 7 days?

You can try! Nah, just graduated and unemployed and have to much time on my hands, hence all the help!

lol..yea, i don't know what makes me think you are going in to 1st year..i saw you in the LC forum and just presumed..my bad ^-^

sorry hun i was just wondering is it 86euro for 5days or 7 days?

It depends on the landlord. Mine said for the 7 days, and that I can just text her if I'm heading home, or will be back sunday night or monday morning.
    Also you don't have to be there during study week, you only have to pay €60 as a retainer for the weeks you arn't there, unlike other places where you pay full price. And you don't have to pay over Christmas Holidays :).

It depends on the landlord. Mine said for the 7 days, and that I can just text her if I'm heading home, or will be back sunday night or monday morning.
    Also you don't have to be there during study week, you only have to pay €60 as a retainer for the weeks you arn't there, unlike other places where you pay full price. And you don't have to pay over Christmas Holidays :).

i see, thanks very much , you are star!=D:o
    is your landlord michelle by anychance? ..

i

No, her name is Rachel. I think her house was top of the list. But I'm sure I'll see you around if your on or off campus. Best of luck in the coming weeks and year :)

No, her name is Rachel. I think her house was top of the list. But I'm sure I'll see you around if your on or off campus. Best of luck in the coming weeks and year :)

Thanks hun, the very same to you :D:D
    i needed the luck¬_¬ gonna be such a loner up there lol

• Advertisement

saw you in the LC forum and just presumed..my bad ^-^
    :eek: Ha! Must be another Beau out there! Haven't been on that forum for four years now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Need to find a place myself. I'm hoping that if I sit around in my parents for long enough it'll just happen. Probably not :(

:eek: Ha! Must be another Beau out there! Haven't been on that forum for four years now!

ahh...Beau x1 is the user name!! i went looking for it...lol...god i am getting old!! ;)
    ..i found a place, it's a Dig..lol..!!i was like ringing around 100 people...i just gave up in the end !!:D
    140,7 days with food included...and the family is nice, room is big...so i am happy i guess ^__^

thanks for the help!!i really appreciated it
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Need to find a place myself. I'm hoping that if I sit around in my parents for long enough it'll just happen. Probably not :(

aww good luck huni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thanks hun, the very same to you :D:D
    i needed the luck¬_¬ gonna be such a loner up there lol

Provided you're not the sourest person in the entire world you'll be a loner for about 2 hours until you've had your welcome from the President. After that, you'll have met people and made some friends :p

Advertisement