Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag accents on the rise

Options
  • 27-08-2009 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed the huge increase in that horrible limerick accent??
    You know the one i'm talking about mostly spoken by hoody knackers who usually say things like (your'e a handicap,you muppet,mere i wont ya,haboy da kid etc)
    It just seems that on every occasion like paddys day,river fest etc this dirty accent is everywhere,even walking through town it's spoken by every second person.
    What is the real limerick accent???
    I think willie o dea and john gilligan have real limerick accents.
    Where did this awful one come from.

your views please....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

guns4fun wrote: »
    You know the one i'm talking about mostly spoken by hoody knackers who usually say things like (your'e a handicap,you muppet,mere i wont ya,haboy da kid etc)
    It just seems that on every occasion like paddys day,river fest etc this dirty accent is everywhere,even walking through town it's spoken by every second person.

your views please....
    Its kids what can you do, I know my bro used to like to talk like that, all his mates did and he wont mind admitting it. He certainly dont talk like anymore nor does he dress like a scumbag anymore.

Alot of kids like to think its cool to talk like that or try and pretend to be a scumbag, drive around any estate in Limerick and you will see/hear em, they are called chavs in UK.

When I was growing up, girls always wanted the scummier lads, I never got that to be honest, suppose they have something about them, bit of rough or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Its letting us down big time,what must visitors to the city think?
    I agree it's all over the place and very annoying.
    Not just kids either loads of so called adults also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Maybe they should make elocution lessons compulsory in schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Maybe they should make elocution lessons compulsory in schools?

Or electrocution

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

jmccoy wrote: »
    Or electrocution

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

guns4fun wrote: »

your views please....

I have my own theory that the sound of these peoples voice is actually the "animal" inside attempting to get out, as if their DNA has been crossed with that of a rat, or better still, a hyena! Hence the high-pitched, nasal, sqealing accent.

Its just a case of a rodent of some sort getting into the DNA back along the line at some stage!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Aboy Concy!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I had this conversation not a week ago with two of our fair citizens

Scumbag #1 (pregnant, possibly 13-15 years old)"Bud givus a fag willyaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"
    Me "I dont smoke sorry"
    Scumbag #1 "Gway you handicaaaaaaaap"
    Scumbag #2 "some puuuure handicaaaap he is Tracy"

sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

what you on about feen, you dunno what you're saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayin about a Limerick accent, you haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaandicap :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

I was walking though the Peoples Park a couple of weeks ago. I walked past a couple of scummers who were sitting on a bench. One of them shouted after me, "Give iss a fag ill a", I replied and said sorry I don't smoke and I got "Ou'l be smokin when I'm finished with ya" in reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its the worst accent - it really disturbs me how people think that having such an accent is cool or dressing like a skobe is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Its the worst accent - it really disturbs me how people think that having such an accent is cool or dressing like a skobe is!
    +1 I dont get it at all, how looking like a scumbag is meant to be cool?

I went in to foot locker this morning , and you literally cant buy any of their clothes cause they are completely geared to these scumbags.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Personally, it is my belief that the Rubber Bandits "Car Stereos" sketch had an enormous effect on how young people in this city communicate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

An File wrote: »
    Personally, it is my belief that the Rubber Bandits "Car Stereos" sketch had an enormous effect on how young people in this city communicate...

yep I 100% agree with you. A lot of people use a scobey kind of accent when the are joking around with their friends. I do it, all my friends do if were messin. Rubberbandits use a kind of piss take of a scobe accent that a lot of people put on for the laugh. Also the same with Concy out of the Limerick uncovered videos on youtube.! great stuff!

"Well kid, any aul' jobs dare?"
    "haaaaaaaaaandicap! see de can he trun at me, he lucky by he drive awaaayyyy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Chong wrote: »
    +1 I dont get it at all, how looking like a scumbag is meant to be cool?

I went in to foot locker this morning , and you literally cant buy any of their clothes cause they are completely geared to these scumbags.

That pisses me right off, you cant buy Adidas tracksuit pants anymore, even if you want them for doing something athletic, purely because they make you look like you should have a can of dutch gold in one hand and a rottweiler on a leash in the other

Once scobes pick up on something,its no longer acceptable for normal people to wear it

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

krudler wrote: »
    That pisses me right off, you cant buy Adidas tracksuit pants anymore, even if you want them for doing something athletic, purely because they make you look like you should have a can of dutch gold in one hand and a rottweiler on a leash in the other

Once scobes pick up on something,its no longer acceptable for normal people to wear it
    dead right addidas/nike are great sports wear and baseball caps cool also but hijacked by the ill spoken scobes of ireland.
    if you walk into any shop wearing any of that stuff the security are all over you,and if you go into a garda station for a form or something non criminal the garda behind the counter thinks you are in to sign as part of your bail conditions.
    untill you open your mouth with your normal non scobe accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

:D in fairness, if you are wearing a tracksuit outside of using a gym or exercising, you'd deserve the abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hawk Wing wrote: »
    :D in fairness, if you are wearing a tracksuit outside of using a gym or exercising, you'd deserve the abuse

Go back to the fifties with that style of thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ahhh Johhny Brubaker, Burberry, Ben Sherman where will it end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

sheesh its only an accent like, im used to it by now, john gilligan etc mentioned in the first post or so is more of a county accent mixed with a city twang..i think there are slight variations in the accent..maybe 3 or 4 versions floating around the city area, each more strong than the other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 firenaught

You can't fault the young for doing stupid things, after all how many silly things did you or I do?
    However, I do agree that it can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

jmccoy wrote: »
    I was walking though the Peoples Park a couple of weeks ago. I walked past a couple of scummers who were sitting on a bench. One of them shouted after me, "Give iss a fag ill a", I replied and said sorry I don't smoke and I got "Ou'l be smokin when I'm finished with ya" in reply.

Ha ha, that's quality :D Was he threatening to ride you without lube or something?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Haven't heard 'Sir, have you got two bob?' in along time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

the accent';s not so bad when it occurs naturally. it's when people put it on TO BE COOL that it's awful

the accent';s not so bad when it occurs naturally. it's when people put it on TO BE COOL that it's awful

ya a i agree completely people from the island and weston and such is fair enough cos thats just one of those things people get from around there whether they're nice or not just happens to the majority,

but the people who if they passed the treaty stone would get lost speaking with these accents is insane. A lot of them popping up out the Raheen area now actually. Ugh just annoys me its damn near insulting when these people speak like this when its put on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

the accent';s not so bad when it occurs naturally.
    Like Johnny Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Iang87 wrote: »
    ya a i agree completely people from the island and weston and such is fair enough cos thats just one of those things people get from around there whether they're nice or not just happens to the majority,

but the people who if they passed the treaty stone would get lost speaking with these accents is insane. A lot of them popping up out the Raheen area now actually. Ugh just annoys me its damn near insulting when these people speak like this when its put on

No people from the island or weston who are normal decent people just have city accents not put on scumbag accents.People here know my feelings on scumbags but i also hate areas being put down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

Do any of you remember a series of articles a Journo called Declan Lynch wrote about Limerick in the early 90's for the Sunday Indo!???They were fairly scathing, usual Limerick Bashing shi* that we've become accustomed 2! In one piece he likened the Limerick scobe/knacker accent to ".... A terrier excreting razorblades".... Appalling description I know...but pretty much on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

People can be very quick to judge. Some of the kids I sell drugs to have a really horrible thick limerick accent, but are the nicest lads in the world.

Conclusion: Not all "hoodies" are bad. And tracksuits are really comfortable.

• Advertisement

No people from the island or weston who are normal decent people just have city accents not put on scumbag accents.People here know my feelings on scumbags but i also hate areas being put down

i'm not putting those areas down. i lived in weston for 20 years so if i wanted to put it down i'd be within my rights to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement