Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag accents on the rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

Iang87 wrote: »
    i'm not putting those areas down. i lived in weston for 20 years so if i wanted to put it down i'd be within my rights to

total sidetrack, but i hate this mentality. "it applies to me so i can insult it but noone else can". kinda like black people dropping the n-bomb, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

People can be very quick to judge. Some of the kids I sell drugs to have a really horrible thick limerick accent, but are the nicest lads in the world.

Conclusion: Not all "hoodies" are bad. And tracksuits are really comfortable.

Selling drugs to kids????? is that right?????

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

guns4fun wrote: »
    Selling drugs to kids????? is that right?????

He was, I believe, trying to be funny (in an ironic sense, of course...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 times'a'wastin

Sure scumbags everywhere all talk with these dreadful accents, but i have to say the limerick one is probably the worst.
    Sure ive seen 5 year olds going around talking like that! Its horrible

An File wrote: »
    He was, I believe, trying to be funny (in an ironic sense, of course...)

i suppose so

• Advertisement

Sure scumbags everywhere all talk with these dreadful accents, but i have to say the limerick one is probably the worst.
    Sure ive seen 5 year olds going around talking like that! Its horrible

Have you ever heard the cork scobe accent,,very like the Limerick one but worse.
    Not everyone who speaks like that is a scobe either,maybe its like swine flu anyone can get it.
    Its bad alright and bad for limericks image also,if we have trouble understanding it how on earth do tourists or foreign workers cope???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

An accent is only a verbal signature to where you spend most of your time, where you are brought up, etc.

If you spend long enough in Cork, London or Texas you will pick up the slang and some bit of an accent.

County Limerick people sound different to city people and Monaleen people sound different to Moyross people.

You emulate your peers and your family.

Having a pronounced accent does have a detrement to your career prospects which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I found this on an equivalent thread about the nauseating Sligo accent, it's a couple of overheard conversations by Sligo waaas.

Overheard on O'Connell St.

"watch yerself of i'll giv ya a dose a sidekicks to the head" ranks as one of my favourite sligo quotes ...

or watching a guy beat another across the head with a bag of chips and the bag burst and spilled everywhere ... screamed "you know nawthin bout life"!

Another phrase would be - "What colour grapes do ya like? So I'll know which ones to send ya in hospital"

Are there any funny Limerick phrases? I remember the "I'll put your eyeball in a sling" from when I was a kid

( i love that dose of sidekicks one! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Iang87 wrote: »
    i'm not putting those areas down. i lived in weston for 20 years so if i wanted to put it down i'd be within my rights to

No bother my mam is from weston but was bought it to speak well it helps you to get on in life.I agree there is a thing in limerick that theres a street cred by saying your from a certain area,we got talking to a girl one night she said "shur your from raheen your posh,ud wouldnt know anything about scumbags,im from weston like"....i was like yes im from raheen,being a decent persoon doesnt make you posh or a snob,whats difference does it make that your from Weston??Look up youtube there is all this videos like weston thugs for life,up southill they think their like gangs in LA.What i hate is decent people thinking their down with the scumbags,your either a decent person against them or accept them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I was on Cruises street last weekend and this gypsey looking woman asked this knacker for money. Not a good idea. In that knacker accent, that seems to be a cross between knacker Dublin and knacker Cork...its strange the way these voice seems break during some words.

"Wud yaz fUk offfFFFFFFFFFFFFffff... I dunt have mONEy for MEselllll"

I was in getting food another day with an Indian guy serving behind the counter, this lad with a knacker accent started making fun of the Indians guys accent. Irony defined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nothing has risen at all, kid. lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

I found this on an equivalent thread about the nauseating Sligo accent, it's a couple of overheard conversations by Sligo waaas.

Overheard on O'Connell St.

"watch yerself of i'll giv ya a dose a sidekicks to the head" ranks as one of my favourite sligo quotes ...

or watching a guy beat another across the head with a bag of chips and the bag burst and spilled everywhere ... screamed "you know nawthin bout life"!

Another phrase would be - "What colour grapes do ya like? So I'll know which ones to send ya in hospital"

Are there any funny Limerick phrases? I remember the "I'll put your eyeball in a sling" from when I was a kid

Iwish i could say there were but they're as imaginative as they get.

it's always literally.
    " do ya have a fag"
    and very little else.

by the way why do they even ask this? Is it some "in" joke i;m not aware of or does it actually work for them one in a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

everyone get a life its the limerick accent get over it!!! at least they dont make up accents like the other half of limerick you know the crowd im talking about the crowd who follow munster and dont know wheather a rugby ball is pumped or stuffed and the people that think they are upper class because they create an irish/american accent and shop in bts..... there all full of sh1t and are the bottom of the barrel they are all false.... dont get me wrong i dont like scumbags but just because they talk with a limerick accent dosent mean its a scumbag accent its still a limerick accent just called a scumbag accent by people who go through there whole life using a fake one because they live in monaleen or that they go to comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dunno if its just from the Region your from or not,
    I've had friends from different areas of Limerick where
    you would expect a thick Limerick accent and they speak like
    a posh toff!

I Always thought I had a neutral accent, People used to often ask me if I was from cork, I never had a typical thick flat Limerick accent. Until I went to a party in Dublin years back and overheard some girl talk about me and say I had a big thick country accent (was news to me) and also in College years ago I had a chap from skibbereen tell me I sounded like a Knacker. When I hear my voice recorded it sounds horrific! though.

I've buddies from other countries who thought we all
    sounded the same until they lived here for a while and
    not can take the utter piss out of people from different
    areas when joking about.

Wonder how many different accents there are?
    You Have a Flat Limerick Accent
    Thick Limerick accent
    Country Knacker accent
    Country Accent
    Posh Country Accent
    Semi Posh Limerick Accent
    Posh toff Limerick Accent
    New entry...Polish Limerick accent. (Great fun to listen to)
    Dunno if Gammon is still used at all for the more mobile but weird to hear.

I dont like the sound of any of the Limerick accents, or the Dublin ones,
    I dont mind the cork and kerry accents (then non-thick ones)
    I Like the sound Mayo Region Accent.
    Women with a Northern Irish accent I find plesent to listen to
    Men with a Northern Irish accent I dont.

~B

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    Iwish i could say there were but they're as imaginative as they get.

it's always literally.
    " do ya have a fag"
    and very little else.

by the way why do they even ask this? Is it some "in" joke i;m not aware of or does it actually work for them one in a while?

Asking for a fag is just looking for an opportunity to slap you with a headbutt while your guard is down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I cant stand the posh Castletroy accent, the D4 of Limerick accents.

Posh **** watching too much of the O.C and other American ****e. I'm glad there is an economic downturn just to give these spoilt kids a dose of reality, "daddy, like, owed money to the bank, like, so daddy hung himself in the attic! absolute mare like!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Posh **** watching too much of the O.C and other American ****e. I'm glad there is an economic downturn just to give these spoilt kids a dose of reality, "daddy, like, owed money to the bank, like, so daddy hung himself in the attic! absolute mare like!"

Is that supposed to be funny?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Tbh,ye all sound the same to me down here :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

everyone get a life its the limerick accent get over it!!! at least they dont make up accents like the other half of limerick you know the crowd im talking about the crowd who follow munster and dont know wheather a rugby ball is pumped or stuffed and the people that think they are upper class because they create an irish/american accent and shop in bts..... there all full of sh1t and are the bottom of the barrel they are all false.... dont get me wrong i dont like scumbags but just because they talk with a limerick accent dosent mean its a scumbag accent its still a limerick accent just called a scumbag accent by people who go through there whole life using a fake one because they live in monaleen or that they go to comp.

I think it's a scumbag accent and I don't come from monaleen or castletroy,I hate rugby,I don't ask for a pint of hino,I don't think I'm better than anyone else because of my job etc.
    I was always working class and proud of it,worked for everything i own.
    ,I know so called poshies who are knackers but get away with it because they live in certain areas and don't have that waaa accent.
    I hate the put on posh one also used by people who think they are better than you because they have more money,better jobs,live in a certain area,drive a certain car,wear designer clothes etc etc, they are a pain in the hole big time alright,but the knack accent is really annoying.
    The put on twang is fairly annoying as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    sheesh its only an accent like, im used to it by now, john gilligan etc mentioned in the first post or so is more of a county accent mixed with a city twang..i think there are slight variations in the accent..maybe 3 or 4 versions floating around the city area,
    John Gilligan's accent is an old school inner city one, an accent that is being replaced by this new 'tracksuit' tone. He defo dont sound like anyone i know from the county. The two limerick accents i like the best are the extreme east i.e. Doon, Pallas, and the extreme west like Athea, Abbeyfeale. Very melodious altogether! Not fond of the inner city limerick accent, its rotten. But raheen, castletroy, mayorstone and the likes, they're all ok.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    john gilligan etc mentioned in the first post or so is more of a county accent mixed with a city twang..

Is Gilligan from the county? I don't think he is and his accent is pretty similar to lots of my city born and bred family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

Come here and i'll bust ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

grenache wrote: »
    But raheen, castletroy, mayorstone and the likes, they're all ok.

Good Man Grenache!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Good Man

:D

The Limerick for thanks :rolleyes:

A city accent is one thing but a pure put on extra scobie one,all this well cuz.mush kinda talk is awful.I worked with people from southil.moyross and they talked the same as any normal person so the scumbag accent is put on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

A city accent is one thing but a pure put on extra scobie one,all this well cuz.mush kinda talk is awful.I worked with people from southil.moyross and they talked the same as any normal person so the scumbag accent is put on

I know this is off topic but am I the only one here who finds that comment from you ironic????

I wonder have you expressed your veiws to them with regard to the regeneration efforts going on????

Anyone here who has had the pleasure of reading previous posts and threads by you will know what i mean.

To Mods: I don't want/expect a reply to this from the poster or take the thread off topic but because of the posters previous posts I find the quoted post quite ironic. Feel free to remove this post.

I have an uncle in southill and he doesnt see what new houses is going to do excpet look shiny and new for the press,he's living there years living a normal life talks normal he has nothing to do with the bad eggs.I know people in weston that feel the same a family relative living in leniahan avenue all his live,he doesnt get a new house and what will new houses do for the area?

my point was you dont have to be from an area to put on a scumbag accent lots young people are at it all over the city in every area

whats your view on regeneration?what will the new houses do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Chong wrote: »
    He certainly dont talk like anymore nor does he dress like a scumbag anymore.

What does a scumbag dress like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement