Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag accents on the rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Chong wrote: »
    When I was growing up, girls always wanted the scummier lads, I never got that to be honest, suppose they have something about them, bit of rough or something.

No maybe they just didnt want you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You should hear the accent of some of the boyos who roam the streets of Croom....if that aint a scumbag accent I dont know what is.

On another note, the Limerick scumbag accent was heard in full flow this afternoon as I drove up William Street and was met by what you might call a "native" hehe, tracksuit wearing gentleman, cycling a childs bike the wrong way down the street, into oncoming traffic while roaring profanities at motorists....I nearly shat myself laughing in the car :D

Its the worst accent - it really disturbs me how people think that having such an accent is cool or dressing like a skobe is!

How do scobes dress?

Chong wrote: »
    I went in to foot locker this morning , and you literally cant buy any of their clothes cause they are completely geared to these scumbags.

That is total BS.. The clothes in foot locker are geared towards athletes 99% of the time.. Get a grip. And if the accents bother you be they real or not get an ipod!

krudler wrote: »
    That pisses me right off, you cant buy Adidas tracksuit pants anymore, even if you want them for doing something athletic, purely because they make you look like you should have a can of dutch gold in one hand and a rottweiler on a leash in the other

Once scobes pick up on something,its no longer acceptable for normal people to wear it

More BS.. And its not rottweilers the "scobes" keep.. You obviously judge books by their covers.. which is v v shallow..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

foot locker the only stuff for sports people would be their basketball shoes,the g unit tracksuits aint for runners lol.With a name like stab city what would you class as a scobe?

total sidetrack, but i hate this mentality. "it applies to me so i can insult it but noone else can". kinda like black people dropping the n-bomb, no?

NO

well if saw a fella head to toe in nike with gold chains and a boxer dog asking me for a "fag" id head away from him

foot locker the only stuff for sports people would be their basketball shoes,the g unit tracksuits aint for runners lol.With a name like stab city what would you class as a scobe?

they dont have g-unit tracksuits in foot locker.. just a couple pairs of shoes..

i try not to judge people (only when given reason).

well if saw a fella head to toe in nike with gold chains and a boxer dog asking me for a "fag" id head away from him

And if you saw a fella in a munster jersey with a pint of guiness in his hand asking for a fag what would you do?

• Advertisement

id say no i dont smoke as long as he was polite.They have g unit tracksuits there plus new york yankees its a sports fashion shop,gleesons is sports shop

scobes and tracksuits have a bad name with the majority of people,im sorry but thats the truth.Are you sticking up for scobes?

id say no i dont smoke as long as he was polite.They have g unit tracksuits there plus new york yankees its a sports fashion shop,gleesons is sports shop

No they dont have g-unit tracksuits!!

The yankees are a sports team! Ever heard of new york?

Gleesons!! golf clubs and munster jerseys dont make a sports shop! sports fashion did you coin that term yourself? Foot locker is the biggest "sports shop" in the world.. just because they tend to sell more clothes in the limerick branch does not mean its a fashion store!

scobes and tracksuits have a bad name with the majority of people,im sorry but thats the truth.Are you sticking up for scobes?

im sticking up for people who unlike you actually have the ba**s to wear what they like as opposed to what people like you would have us wear.. im not saying what people do in these clothes is right all the time but to paint everyone with the same brush is prehistoric..

i mean ye run from guys with tracksuits asking for fags.. but its some of the the guys in suits who is stealing from our economy standing beside you in cloughessy's you should really be worried about..

(edited so people like lang(er)87 dont think i am a hypocrite)
    (not that i care)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

But at least we know now everyone with a Boxer is a scobe,I must tell all me mates.Possibly tell everyone in the Animal and Pets forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Stab*City wrote: »
    i mean ye run from guys with tracksuits asking for fags.. but its the guy in the suit who is stealing from our economy standing beside you in cloughessy's you should really be worried about..

haven't read the whole thread but thats arguably the stupidest post i've ever seen.

Lets say the dude in the suit is oh i dunno a teacher, doctor, detective, solicitor. That means they all stole from our economy.

My god where have you been the last year. Dont defend scum or you'll earn the nickname devane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

im sticking up for people who unlike you actually have the ba**s to wear what they like as opposed to what people like you would have us wear.. im not saying what people do in these clothes is right all the time but to paint everyone with the same brush is prehistoric..

absolutely brilliant. You're sticking up for people who have the balls to wear what they like. Is that why they all wear yankees clothes with big woolie jackets and shoes so white if you stare too long you will go blind (medically proven fact)

For you to say not to paint everyone with the one brush is so hypocritical, given that you just said that the fella in the suit in clohessys is the fella who's been robbing the economy.

**** it lads call Brian Cowen we solved it the riddle of where all the money went quick grab the armed response unit and go to clohessys. We're looking for the guy in a suit.

Iang87 wrote: »
    haven't read the whole thread but thats arguably the stupidest post i've ever seen.

Lets say the dude in the suit is oh i dunno a teacher, doctor, detective, solicitor. That means they all stole from our economy.

My god where have you been the last year. Dont defend scum or you'll earn the nickname devane

i was trying to make a point as to its not only "scum" that wear these type of clothes.. i know many a person who "dresses well" but would take the eye out of your head.. i also know guys with lovely limerick accents though when after a few pints they are just as likely to glass/bottle you over not giving them a fag as the guy with the "scobe" accent. Lets say the dude in the tracksuitsuit is oh i dunno a teacher, doctor, detective, solicitor. Thats means they are all scum ya? dont label everyone with the same brush or you'll probably get your head kicked in the next time that u turn that "scobe" whos not wearing a tracksuit down for a fag..

Iang87 wrote: »
    absolutely brilliant. You're sticking up for people who have the balls to wear what they like. Is that why they all wear yankees clothes with big woolie jackets and shoes so white if you stare too long you will go blind (medically proven fact)

For you to say not to paint everyone with the one brush is so hypocritical, given that you just said that the fella in the suit in clohessys is the fella who's been robbing the economy.

**** it lads call Brian Cowen we solved it the riddle of where all the money went quick grab the armed response unit and go to clohessys. We're looking for the guy in a suit.

The stupidest post i have ever read.

your lucky you live in a place where the "scobes" are easily identified.

are you denying this country is just as ruined by the suits as by the yankees t shirt wearer? where have you been for the last 2 years?

also your humour is so so lame. obviously i didnt mean all the people who wear suits..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

whats your view on regeneration?what will the new houses do?

Why don't you look at some of the anti regeneration threads you have started and see what I think.

Here, I'll give you a helping start :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055629740
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055584200&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Anyone that looks and speaks like a cream cracker has to be a J-cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

The stupidest post i have ever read.

your lucky you live in a place where the "scobes" are easily identified.

are you denying this country is just as ruined by the suits as by the yankees t shirt wearer? where have you been for the last 2 years?

also your humour is so so lame. obviously i didnt mean all the people who wear suits..

While i dont fully agree with either of you my point is that every one is always blaming the benefit thieves, benefit fraudsters, double dolers etc, the scumbags for ruining our country. In reality this is crumbs! We get upset about the crumbs these people rob.

Our cake has already been stolen, all thats left is the crumbs.

It ok though as with NAMA we are gonna start cooking up a new one.

Im going totally OT there lol

The elitest view in this thread truely turns my stomach.

I have a limerick accent. I cant help it. You know why? Because im born and breed limerick. Worked all my life in limerick. Mixed with good people and bad. Worked and still work (part time) in pubs many of you never heard of in "rough" areas. I also have a degree, masters and phd (well in a year i will i hope to god).

while i dont have a "thick" inner city accent all the time, on occasion, with certain words it comes out.

A limerick accent means nothing but you are from limerick

Scumbags exist every where except in cork they have a cork accent and in dublin....shock horror a dublin accent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There was an intense debate on the After Hours forum the week before last, which for the most part focused on how exactly the word "scumbag" should be defined. Fashion styles, economic back-grounds, standards of education and general behaviour were among the strongest suggestions put forward. Each had some generalised reasoning behind it, as you'd expect to find in AH threads. Many people spoke from experience, admitting that their definitions would not be true in all cases.

In the end, that thread was locked because of the sensitive nature of the story that inspired it. However, there was a growing consensus that the word "scumbag" can be applied to anyone, irrespective of where they live or what jobs their parents had, whose behaviour justifies that tag. We all know scummy acts when we see them, and our reactions should not be reserved just for people from one part of town or another, nor for one accent or another.

baza1976 wrote: »
    Why don't you look at some of the anti regeneration threads you have started and see what I think.

Here, I'll give you a helping start :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055629740
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055584200&page=2

Baza1976 if you have a personal problem with my opinion write me a personal message,dont try to bully me on a thread.You know my views on regeneration what are yours?

People get an impression on a number of factors.A lad could be walking down the road in a tracksuit minding his own business people prob wont batt an eyelid,however if theres alad walking down the road with a tracksuit with say a hoody up in warm weather or daylight,staring at people,aggresive or dodgy body lanauage people will be weary of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Baza1976 if you have a personal problem with my opinion write me a personal message,dont try to bully me on a thread.You know my views on regeneration what are yours?

what area do you live in?

funny thing happened last night when i was walking to my house from my car in dooradoyle i was stopped by a lad, wearing a tracksuit, can of bud in hand and this was at 1:30. he actually did ask me for a fag and i didnt have one on me so i told him i didnt and he politely said ok thanks and then proceeded to tell me how he was back at school this morning and it was his last night of holidays.. so we had a quick chat and turns out he was a nice fella.. no trouble, no paranoia on my part and the experience turned out to be pleasant..

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Its nice that Schoolkids can drink cans of Bud at 1.30 in the day the day before they are due to go back to school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 badaulname

john_cappa wrote: »
    what area do you live in?

Iraq by the sounds of it!:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement