Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic 2009

• 27-08-2009 10:22am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Who's going?

I can't believe its here already - kept thinking it was months away. I still have not got a ticket or anything.

Who are you looking forward to seeing? http://www.electricpicnic.ie/music/

If anyone has any good tips or advice please put it here for everyone.

Oh does anyone know the name of that website where you can order tents and stuff online and pick it up when you are down there? I did it last year and it was a godsend, saves so much hassle.

Also, last year I went down got stuck on horrible traffic. Apparently if you turn off the motorway onto the M9 and head through Athy, taking the right after Ballylinan, it avoids all the traffic. Sweet.

I want to get down really early and get a good camping spot. Not sure which campsite is best though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yea heading down - would not miss the chance to see Orbital again - that alone would make me go!

Looking forward also to seeing Bat For Lashes, great album. Plus Damien Dempsey, Roots Manuva, MGMT, Zero7, The Field, Nightmares on Wax...

You know yourself though, the picnic is less about seeing all the bands and more about soaking up the vibe. Had f*cking great craic on the last night last year when it started p*ssing rain - jumped into the Silent Disco tent to stay dry and had a blast. Also - check out the Chai Wallahs tent if they're there again this year, have been the last 2 years and it's a nice play to stop off in the afternoon and relax, and they also do a late night jam session with a load of musicians up on stage - goes till 3am some nights.

My tips are: if you're drinking - don't drink beer all day, it's alcohol content is too small and you'll just be pissing all day (and that's a headwreck at a festival). My tipple of choice is a box of wine (4 litres), poured into a camelpak pouch to get through security, and a hip flask of whiskey. That'll keep the costs down too.

For the weather - if it's raining - Sealskin Waterproof socks. They ain't cheap, but they're an excellent piece of kit. You can wear any kind of runners you like, but once you have these bad boys on your feet will stay warm and dry.

Other essentials - wet wipes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Not a chance lads. Over priced comercial crap, trendy posers and middleclass hippy wannabes. Just coz some sh1tehawk got nominated for a mercury prize doesn't mean they're any good and a veggie burger will never beat a steak. I'll be heading to the Kitchen Sync in Kennedys to see some real talent and real people.

/awaits onslaught:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Not a chance lads. Over priced comercial crap, trendy posers and middleclass hippy wannabes. Just coz some sh1tehawk got nominated for a mercury prize doesn't mean they're any good and a veggie burger will never beat a steak. I'll be heading to the Kitchen Sync in Kennedys to see some real talent and real people.

:)

100% agreed. The crowd is full of yuppies alright.

The hoards of chirpy headband-wearing, purple tights wearing girls isnt exactly my kind of festival.....

And whats worse, they've gotten rid of Bodytonic (old news), supposedly because they want more of a family vibe at the festival - sadly though, this will do nothing to counter the rising number of scumbags in attendance....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

No onslaught, everyone is entitled to their opinion! I'm not that excited about the lineup to the honest. Poxygen had way better acts. There are a few good people I want to see but the normal thing that happens down there is you don't get to see half of what you want and end up being surprised by how no-namers impress.

Acts aside,. I'm going to for the craic and the atmosphere. Plus some close mates who live overseas are coming over for it and if I did not go they would kick my ass. One of the most fun days in my entire life was last year the second day, the weather was amzing, woke up and a few peopel gathered around our circle of tents and we just had a laugh all day in the sun. I want more of that.

I just hope to FCUK it does not rain, mud-baths are not my idea of fun.

Oh and I found it! http://www.joe-bananas.co.uk/ is the site where you can order camping stuff and pick it up down there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Everyone's entitled to an opinion I suppose.I assume your pass-remarkable comments on the picnic are down to personal experience of it though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Actually one thing I like about EP is the diversity of the crowd (scumbags aside). Hippies can be fun!

If it's just a mashfest then its too much, you need a bit of balance..

JCDUB wrote: »
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion I suppose.I assume your pass-remarkable comments on the picnic are down to personal experience of it though?

Yes actually, been to the first 3. First 2 were great but the one after was dung IMO.

I should mention that i'm only stirring a bit though. Gimme EP over Oxegen any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Off to Sardinia for a week long DnB, Dubstep Reggae and Hip Hop thing... Tickets are just over half the price of an EP ticket too...

I do have a bit of an issue with the ticket price, with the recessionary times they aren't selling so hopefully the promoters will cop the f*ck on next year.

Regards the crowd, as Zascar said, it's nice to have the bit of diversity - I think there's a broad enough range of people there. I wouldn't agree that it's full of yuppies, yea there's going to be a few alright seeing it sells itself as a 'Boutique Festival', but on the whole I'd take the EP crowd any day of the Oxegen crowd. (Haven't been to Oxegen in 3 years mind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Off to Sardinia for a week long DnB, Dubstep Reggae and Hip Hop thing.

You got a link to the event. Wont be attending just curious

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

That was ****in weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Other years I could justify the ticket price, and all the extras, booze, petrol, drugs, festival food etc...can't do so this year...€240 before I even walk out the door. Fook that.
    Pity, I'd have loved to see Roots Manuva and Orbital and loads of others but meh. Great atmosphere, great crowd and a blast when the weather is right...maybe they'll be lucky again this year but judging on the last few months I doubt it.

What's the story with people bashing yuppies and scumbags in one breath...jesus lads, it's a big diverse world out there...you can't go through life with this attitude of disliking and distrusting those that are different from you...if scumbags give you hassle then fair enough, but otherwise they're all out for the craic as much as you are...yuppies the same. Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

:D hardybucks are deadly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

yeah its gonna be an unbeleiveable weekend im living in Stradbally so the venue is only up the road from me last year was the best but it seems to be getting better every year im not sure what the Capicity crowd is this year. last year was 35,000 approx :rolleyes:- think their was plans to increase that number because its getting so popular :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

SIX PACK wrote: »
    last year was 35,000 approx :rolleyes:- think their was plans to increase that number because its getting so popular :pac:

Capacity is the same as last years.

Last year sold out though yea? Whereas this year is a good bit away from selling out, by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yes, Going this year. Been every year so far bar last year.

Anyone at the first one when it was a one day event with about 5 wimmins toilets for the whole event. Missed most the bands queueing for a wee.

Have a horrible suspicion this may be the last EP. Ticket sales have been really bad to date and they I heard they also had trouble with sponsorship or something til they were rescued by some UK festival crowd. Is that right?

Wertz wrote: »
    Other years I could justify the ticket price, and all the extras, booze, petrol, drugs, festival food etc...can't do so this year...€240 before I even walk out the door. Fook that.
    Pity, I'd have loved to see Roots Manuva and Orbital and loads of others but meh. Great atmosphere, great crowd and a blast when the weather is right...maybe they'll be lucky again this year but judging on the last few months I doubt it.

What's the story with people bashing yuppies and scumbags in one breath...jesus lads, it's a big diverse world out there...you can't go through life with this attitude of disliking and distrusting those that are different from you...if scumbags give you hassle then fair enough, but otherwise they're all out for the craic as much as you are...yuppies the same. Live and let live.

Well, Irish events as a whole just dont appeal to me... Last year at the picnic, my mates tent got slashed on the sunday night, and by the way it was done, it wasnt a key or anything.... Then, in saying it to someone who went there every year since 2005, they just said its becoming more of an oxegen with every passing year.....

I dont have this attitude in general life, its just IRISH FESTIVALS. Although most of the crowd are fine, whether its cunts going 'woop woop woop' or orange faced idiots so preoccupied with their image that they forget its a music festival they're at, it just annoys me. Perhaps this doesnt bother 99% of people.....

I just went to a festival on the continent, and the atmosphere was top notch, a world away from the smugness of the likes of EP. Mind you, I shouldnt dismiss all Irish festivals, the likes of Life and Mantua are ace!

In my opinion, electric picnic, or shall I say 'The Picnic', has gotten a rather hip image.

Walking by tents in the morning seeing girls slapping on the make up.... not my type of ****in festival

joker77 wrote: »
    Last year sold out though yea? Whereas this year is a good bit away from selling out, by all accounts
    €240. All figures speak for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'll be working B&S stage again this year - Looking forward to seeing Luciano, The Hacker and fourtet in a big way; will probably try and catch 'Sleep Deprivation' from SMD's live set and, if it's there's nothing better on, will go to see Skream and Benga. Rest of the time will be spent in the woods like its meant to be :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Whats wrong with putting on a bit o' slap?! :D

I'd decided to sell my ticket but then I got a pass for the weekend which I'm pretty happy about. Looking forward to Orbital mostly. Hope to catch lamb, four tet, hypnotic brass ensemble, Chris Cunningham, and lots of others I cant think of right now.

I've attended all but one and last year was the most enjoyable for me so far. I think its a great festival with a great crowd and Ive never seen a bit of hassle at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

It was the only festival that i wanted to go to this year,
    but moneys tight, and i'm tighter, so its not gonna happen
    this year, tickets are overpriced tho, every company that comes to ireland
    thinks they can charge what they want, dumb paddy will pay it.
    If things pick up job wise i'm gonna hit sonar in spain next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Did someone say the bodytonic tent is no more? Where am I gonna spend the weekend now?

shakenbake wrote: »
    Did someone say the bodytonic tent is no more? Where am I gonna spend the weekend now?
    Its no more.... sadly. Although it was an insult to bodytonic that they're village was relegated to the campsite last year. In my view - Banging techno and the lah-de-dah image EP is trying to attain dont go hand in hand.

Its a great pity, part of the reason im not that keen on going this year. Being an electronic music fan, there was just so much last year... Rob Hood, Benga, Ben Klock... all in the bodytonic arena......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Arcadia Spectacular are coming to Electric Picnic With the Afterburner Stage... Prepare for the show of Your Lives...
    Arcadia will be running a 40 k Funktion One Surround Sound Rig it will be huge!
    If you've never seen the Arcadia stage in action.. check out the link..

http://www.arcadiaspectacular.com/

Below are your firestarters for the Electric Picnic 2009...
    Gonna be the highlight of many peoples Festival weekend... see you on the Dancefloor

FRIDAY

20:00-21:30 LA MUTANTA LIVE
    21:30-22:45 RIFF DJ
    22:45-00:00 CHRIS GAINER DJ
    00:00-01:30 JOHNNY MOY DJ
    01:30-02:45 ATOMIC DROP LIVE
    02:45-04:00 WONKA DJ

SATURDAY

20:00-21:30 KASPAR DJ
    21:30-22:45 SEAN RUDZ DJ
    22:45-00:00 ANALOGUE MIND FIELD LIVE
    00:00-01:30 DREADY PIKE DJ
    01:30-03:00 SPITLOOP live
    03:00-04:00 DISCO OF DOOM DJ

SUNDAY

19:00-20:00 BLUES OUTFIT LIVE
    20:00-21:00 MOREFIRE MILLS DJ
    21:00-22:00 DJ SYN DJ
    22:00-23-15 LECTROSOUL DJ -- Warren Kiernan & Rocky
    23:15-00:30 ARVEENE DJ
    00:30-02:00 FAR TOO LOUD DJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

SoulRock wrote: »
    Arcadia Spectacular are coming to Electric Picnic With the Afterburner Stage... Prepare for the show of Your Lives...

Gonna be the highlight of many peoples Festival weekend... see you on the Dancefloor

FRIDAY

20:00-21:30 LA MUTANTA LIVE
    21:30-22:45 RIFF DJ
    22:45-00:00 CHRIS GAINER DJ
    00:00-01:30 JOHNNY MOY DJ
    02:45-04:00 WONKA DJ

SATURDAY

20:00-21:30 KASPAR DJ
    21:30-22:45 SEAN RUDZ DJ
    00:00-01:30 DREADY PIKE DJ
    01:30-03:00 SPITLOOP live
    03:00-04:00 DISCO OF DOOM DJ

SUNDAY

19:00-20:00 BLUES OUTFIT LIVE
    20:00-21:00 MOREFIRE MILLS DJ
    21:00-22:00 DJ SYN DJ
    23:15-00:30 ARVEENE DJ

This looks amazing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Looks good alright.. is it defo running till 4am? will there be places open then,thought everywhere would finishing at 1ish...

madma wrote: »
    Looks good alright.. is it defo running till 4am? will there be places open then,thought everywhere would finishing at 1ish...
    Ah jesus, they couldnt finish things up at 1... although they did on the sunday night last year. Id imagine theyll be running until after 3am on the first two nights...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Griff77

Where abouts on the site will this Arcadia Stage be?

Is there gonna be a rave in the forest again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Griff77 wrote: »
    Is there gonna be a rave in the forest again?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

SoulRock wrote: »

FRIDAY

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

Sweet. I missed Atomic Drop earlier this year. Nice one lads.

Neutronyx is on in full effect in the forest.. till Late Late :)
    Arcadia is on in the same spot as last year.. you cant miss it!!!
    check out he site maps here.. :)

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/html/site_map.html

gonna be a cracker :D

Sweet. I missed Atomic Drop earlier this year. Nice one lads.

Yea shaping up nicely :D
    See ya down there Bro!
    Peace..

I've juse secured a job in the Body & Soul, so its 3x6 hour shifts over the weekend. Hopefully I wont miss too much of this! Im on a mission after barely even catching a glimpse of all those attractions last year

• Advertisement

The official running order is up here

No major clashes for me, can't fecking wait now

Is there a printable timetable anywhere that you can keep in your pocket?

I have no idea who I want to see yet...

Any recommendations for me???

Yea they're handy PDFs

Friday for me is the Main stage - Zero 7, MGMT then Orbital

Saturday is Roots Manuva, Bat for Lashes, then probably to the little big tent for The Field, the Hacker then Moderat, although possibly instead over to see Lamb in the Body and Soul

Sunday could be the Electric Arena - Nightmares on Wax Soundsystem, Simian Mobile Disco, Florence and the Machine, Fleet Foxes, Royksopp, then finishing with Damien Dempsey in Crawdaddy

That's the plan at the moment, although when I dig deeper into the lineup that will probably change, and you know yourself - you're on the way to see something and pass by something else and get dragged in there instead! It's all good tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Im pissed that Luciano's Aether thing clashes with Orbital. Would liked to have seen it but there is no way in hell I will be missing a second of Oribital.

I've seen Orbital before, I think I might give the Aether thing a shot, it will be less packed at least! That's if I can get anyone to come with me, none of my other mates will have heard of Luciano lol

Any other must see's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I am hoping that the surprise DJ set at the Tree Stage in Body and Soul on Friday around midnight could be Luciano.

Zascar my must sees for the Weekend would be Orbital, Moderat, Bat for Lashes, Explosions In The Sky, The Field, Four Tet, Fleet Foxes, Introducing and Passion Pit. There is plenty of other stuff I wouldnt mind seeing and Chris Cunningham would be on the must see list but he clashes with Moderat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Any1 know if it's hard to sneak in?

Check the thread on emireland they talk about sneaking in.

But seriosuly, would you actually bother? You can't walk 500 yards without getting your tag checked. Just not worth it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

My mate did it last year and was fine, I'm home now let me know if ya wanna get on 2 me about that other thibg!

I imagined that this forum would be hopping at Amorphous Androgynous' inclusion in the line-up.

Anyone mad to see them? Ill be pissed if I dont get to see them!

Will do cheers!

Bet you're just loving this weather now that you're back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Couldn't go and I was so damn angry until I decided to go over to get loaded in the park last weekend. Saw MSTRKRFT, felix da housecat, royksopp, steve aoki and ORBITAL.

Disappointed Im not going to see Simian Mobile Disco and 2 Many DJs but Im not that crushed.

If you go to see any act see Orbital. The best gig I've ever seen, was completely blown away by the energy and all the wired middled aged men at the gig.

Also the lights they have are savage. Absolutely amazing live act. How good would it be to see them 2 weeks in a row though!

I would advise anyone who is there to check out Beardyman. Regardless of your taste in music if you have any appreciation for watching a master at work then you will seriously dig what this guy does.

He's not just a beatbox, he uses samples and efx and his live set is phenomenally good. He's also as funny and as funky as fuk and anyone who can beatbox seamlessly from salsa into gabba deserves his plaudits.

Trust me on this lads. You will be impressed.

Cheers lads. Dam there is so much clashing! Beardyman clashes with Giles and Conky - two of my mates who are playing at Nutronix in the forrest . I can't miss them as they are involved in the Night I'm setting up! I really want ot see Luciano, however they clash with Orbital - I have seen Orbital before but I've heard their recent show is incredible.

Where do you plan on camping? I was in the Hendrix campsite last year, think I'll do the same this year too.

Sun is out this morning, I hope to fuk it stays!

Bring your wellies I heard from people working down there its a mudbath already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

I would advise anyone who is there to check out Beardyman. Regardless of your taste in music if you have any appreciation for watching a master at work then you will seriously dig what this guy does.

He's not just a beatbox, he uses samples and efx and his live set is phenomenally good. He's also as funny and as funky as fuk and anyone who can beatbox seamlessly from salsa into gabba deserves his plaudits.

Trust me on this lads. You will be impressed.

Damn straight, saw him at BLOC, he's ****ing amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement