Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zascar wrote: »
    Bring your wellies I heard from people working down there its a mudbath already!
    Just looking out the window now and wellies will be must! But aren't they always at Irish outdoor gigs?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just looking out the window now and wellies will be must! But aren't they always at Irish outdoor gigs?!

Nah, a good pair of boots and bag your feet does the trick, cant dance in wellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Any auld pair of runners + SealSkinz Waterproof Socks = Winning combination.

Seriously lads, I can't rate those waterproof socks highly enough! They work a charm - doesn't matter what kind of shoes/runners you're wearing, your feet stay dry and toasty in them. I use them for cycling in the winter, but they've also been to Witness / Oxegen / Electric picnic and have never let me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Was thinking about that!
    Where can you buy them? are they expensive??
    Nice one

joker77 wrote: »

Seriously lads, I can't rate those waterproof socks highly enough! They work a charm - doesn't matter what kind of shoes/runners you're wearing, your feet stay dry and toasty in them. I use them for cycling in the winter, but they've also been to Witness / Oxegen / Electric picnic and have never let me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

They ain't cheap, but they last for years - 40 Euro in the little army shop on Mary's lane - not Millets the one up the road for Slattery's on Capel street. Don't buy them in the Outdoor Adventure store - total rip off.

Yer man gave them to me for 30 though - they only have XL (12-14) and I wanted Large, but XL are perfect because I usually wear a light pair of socks under them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I heard only half the tickets have been sold, is this true? I'll be delighted if is is, not as packed, less queuing, not being stuck on the outside of tents for some gigs.

Must try to buy some of those socks down there, but I won't be taking off my wellies the whole time I think.

Just went to buy booze on the EP site to pick it up down there, but they are out of stock of everything! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

hmm. I think I'll stick with the wellingtons. It really is pretty wet down there in parts. Although hopefully it will improve by the weekend.

Jim Carrolls blog today describes conditions there pretty well. I was there last night and it wasnt pretty.

he also says that over 30,000 tickets have been sold according to his sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I heard only half the tickets have been sold, is this true? I'll be delighted if is is, not as packed, less queuing, not being stuck on the outside of tents for some gigs.

Must try to buy some of those socks down there, but I won't be taking off my wellies the whole time I think.

Just went to buy booze on the EP site to pick it up down there, but they are out of stock of everything! :(

Jim Carrol in the Irirsh Times said earlier in the week that they had sold 30,000 tickets.I'd say if the weather is decent tommorrow it will get close enough to capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Nice one man..
    will check 'em out
    totally waterproof yea?? cause i did a quick search and looks like a lot of false claims. about them being 100% water proof..
    have you field tested them?? :D:D
    would be great if they were!!
    Cool :)

edit: just saw you've used them before so cool.. :)
    They ain't cheap, but they last for years - 40 Euro in the little army shop on Mary's lane - not Millets the one up the road for Slattery's on Capel street. Don't buy them in the Outdoor Adventure store - total rip off.

Yer man gave them to me for 30 though - they only have XL (12-14) and I wanted Large, but XL are perfect because I usually wear a light pair of socks under them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Neutronyx Stage: Rave in the (Magic) Forest Line-Up.

FRIDAY
    19:00:00 20:00:00 rob murphy
    20:00:00 21:00:00 Jackit djs
    21:00:00 22:00:00 Dave de Valera
    22:00:00 23:00:00 Conor G
    23:00:00 0:00:00 Paul Allen
    0:00:00 1:00:00 Phil Kieran (cocoon)
    1:00:00 2:00:00 Zini
    2:00:00 3:00:00 Reza
    3:00:00 4:00:00 Squee

SATURDAY
    17:00:00 18:00:00 xlr8
    18:00:00 19:00:00 SamJay fibre
    19:00:00 20:00:00 QPOP
    20:00:00 21:00:00 Robbie Ryan
    21:00:00 22:00:00 Howie Miller
    22:00:00 23:00:00 ZeMaria Band
    23:00:00 0:00:00 Japanese Pop Stars
    0:00:00 1:00:00 Psylock
    1:00:00 2:00:00 Mr Ix
    2:00:00 3:00:00 AJNASOUL
    3:00:00 4:00:00 Zefer

Sunday
    16:00:00 17:00:00 COLIN PERKINS
    19:00:00 20:00:00 Scot Mccabe
    20:00:00 21:00:00 Lenny Hoffmann
    21:00:00 22:00:00 lrb
    22:00:00 23:00:00 Jeff Walters
    23:00:00 0:00:00 Danny Alonso
    0:00:00 1:00:00 Martins Myth
    1:00:00 2:00:00 Alien Angel
    2:00:00 3:00:00 ScamFerla
    3:00:00 4:00:00 Daniel RRell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

well was it ne good?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So how did everyone find it? I had a good time but I don't think I'll be going back next year. I think I've had enough of Irish festivals - maybe I'm just getting too old but - I think I'd prefer to go to overseas festivals like Airbound etc.

We spent most of the days just hanging out at the tents having good craic there and did not go into the arena until quite late. I was in a large group so spent a lot of time hanging around waiting for people - plus I did not get to see a lot of what I wanted cause the majority wanted to go to a conflicting gig. Orbital were good but not brilliant - I was just pissed I missed Luciano which was on at the same time. Moderat was a big surprise for me, everyone had a really great time, was good fun. Too many DJ's were on the 2nd night - I had seen them briefly before, but it was good to catch the whole show. Undoubtedly what they do is very impressive, but personally for me it was way to commercial/cheesey - the first half was too full of MGMT etc etc. The visuals were abso;utely brilliant though, loved the way they showed you the name of each track and anivated the record sleeve or album art, brilliant donw. Good new nice surprises of classic house etc and good fun over all. Spent a lot of time at the Barardi bar which is always good fun, saw a god few acts there, can't remember names but they were great fun. The Arcadia stage was very impressive, all the smoke and fire and dancers etc etc - the music was very hit and miss depending on when you were there.

One thing that that really amazed me, was that there was pretty much no nackers there whatsoever. Honestly the most scumbag free music event I've ever been at. Really great crowd spent a lot of time chatting to randomers and got to know all my neighbours by the tent which was great fun. The only bit of trouble I saw was when some dude tried to sleaze on two girls with me, tried to start of me when I tried to get rid of him. I just let him shout and scream and eventually he left. Pissed us off but was soon forgotten.

Last twice I was at EP the weather was great, but not so lucky this year. I froze my ass off - and the mud was ridiculous. When it rained all morning on the Sunday I just said fcuk it and went home. Was very glad to be home.

So I can't say I had a brilliant time, but I'm not saying the event was bad or anything, I just don't think it was as good as last year. But I've no doubt many had the time of their lives - it's what you make of it at the end of the day.

Spent a lot of time at the Barardi bar
    Obviously! ;)

I had a good time but I don't think I'll be going back next year. I think I've had enough of Irish festivals - maybe I'm just getting too old but - I think I'd prefer to go to overseas festivals like Airbound etc.
    Last twice I was at EP the weather was great, but not so lucky this year. I froze my ass off - and the mud was ridiculous. When it rained all morning on the Sunday I just said fcuk it and went home. Was very glad to be home.
    Don't blame ya. You really can't underestimate the difference the weather makes to a festival/outdoor gig. I think every outdoor gig that has been held this year it's rained, and rained heavily. Puts a real dampner on things. Bad pun I know! But it really does.

When the sun is shining every one is in such a better mood. At least if you go abroad you're guaranteed sunshine.

I think it might be my age too, but I've kinda seen and done it all gig wise in Ireland so the only thing that'd make it different would be head abroad.

I know it is kinda bad, but one major thing that contributes to it all is the the lack of good pills right now. I've been talking to a lot of people about this and reading about it on other forums too, and basically there are no good pills in ireland at the moment. There is no real MDMA in them they are full of other **** like BZP and the other legal crap. It's only a special occaision thing for me any more like festivals etc, so dissappointing these days. There is a noticible difference in crowds at gigs and festivals these days - it just does not seem to 'go off' like it used to. You don't see people totally monged out of it, loved up, gurning etc - people still get fcuked, but in a very different way. It definitely changes things though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

As weird as it is to me and you, the average punter isn't in to music these days though......which is about half the crowd at EP.....heard Luciano would have been better with just a set of decks, you can read my Orbital in Ibiza review here if you're interested;
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=6525

On a completely side issue, Sebo K and Metro - Saxtrack is a tune in case some of you haven't heard it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

At least if you go abroad you're guaranteed sunshine. .
    Negaitve!
    Was at Melt Festival just outside Berlin, the rain on the first night was torrential was only for a couple of hours but enough to make me go :mad:
    :)

Oh and also a negative on the Pill statement.

Negaitve!
    Was at Melt Festival just outside Berlin, the rain on the first night was torrential was only for a couple of hours but enough to make me go :mad:
    :)

Oh and also a negative on the Pill statement. You got to know where to look.
    As opposed to a couple of days! ;):D

True but still makes you go :mad:

Weird festival for me too this year, but I cant say I wont be back. Was very disappointed by Orbital. I was actually quite bored during their set. And they went on far too long with that bon jovi craic in halcyon... they never broke back in to halcyon at all. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Highlight by far was Chic. They were flippin fantastic! Only caught the start of Chris Cunninghams set. The first video was mental... What was the verdict on him?

Also saw four tet in body and soul, bell orchestre (great), hypnotic brass ensemble, duckworth lewis method, roots manuva, cant think of anyone else right now.

I was completely sober for the picnic, which was strange but not in a bad way. Certainly makes my Monday more pleasant, I'm just tired now :)

I also meant to say, that the worst thing about the rain is that you cant sit down anywhere. Which makes people tired and maybe a little grumpy. Its always way better when its sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Neutronyx Stage: Rave in the (Magic) Forest Line-Up.

Was at Neutronix on Friday night at about 2am - 4am. I've worked with dance music for 10+ years and never in my life have I ever heard such muck. I know music is about personal taste but jeasus. We were there for 2 hours and every track sounded the exact same, there was 2 or 3 breaks in that time.

Anyone else have opinions on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Was at Neutronix on Friday night at about 2am - 4am. I've worked with dance music for 10+ years and never in my life have I ever heard such muck. I know music is about personal taste but jeasus. We were there for 2 hours and every track sounded the exact same, there was 2 or 3 breaks in that time.

Anyone else have opinions on it?

Think ive had the misfortune to be at a neutronix stage before in the life fest. ex rocker crusties that got into pills and decided that horse**** sytrance is the way to go, Ive met similar rave crews all over the place (australia, the states) its really shocking music, its a shame because they usually have a good set up and their heart is in the right place.

its a shame because they usually have a good set up and their heart is in the right place.

When we heard the beats as we were walking up I thought I was in for a treat, then we turned the corner and saw lasers, good lighting, big soundsystem etc Setup was very impressive for a rave in the woods. But as we got closer I realised what it was. We werent there really for the music, just to go somewhere for a late beer and bit of craic, but it was really awful. Most of the people in my gang didnt realise there was a DJ, when I told them they asked what type of DJ would play music like that, they were shocked at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

anyone see the worlds biggest dickhead being the universes greatest asshole on stage during the guy from LCD Sound System (James Murphy) set ??

I speak of that excuse for a human - 'dj' johnny moy ?

came out and started hugging the dj for like 5 mins while he was trying to play a set .. then mr muppet moy started lepping around stage like a loon and made the records skip ... twice...

what a sad exuse for a human... and what a little life he must have to need to be seen in the company of someone with actual talent..

rant over

E.P. 2009 : 'Meh'pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

unfortunately could not make it this year. Re the weather, I reckon the only festival to get it right in 09 was the Life Festival. Think about it, the weather in Ireland in May is usually pretty OK and that's when Life was. Never rained all weekend.

Re festivals in Europe ... I played at the Transylvania Calling festival this year and the weather was 5 days of sunshine, EUR1.00 per tin for beer, free acid all over the place, EUR3.00 for dinner, cool crowd, picturesque camping next to a stream and artists were treated very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

old gregg wrote: »
    Re festivals in Europe ... I played at the Transylvania Calling festival this year and the weather was 5 days of sunshine, EUR1.00 per tin for beer, free acid all over the place, EUR3.00 for dinner, cool crowd, picturesque camping next to a stream and artists were treated very well.

looks like crusty psytrance hell :eek: sorry for being so negative , i just had a really bad experience at a rave similar to that one before.ive a very low tolerance of that type music

Got to respect the Krustys + Id take an weekend of that trippy psy trance over Calvin Harris and Guetta any day!

Not to mention I quite enjoyed that vid :)

looks like crusty psytrance hell :eek: sorry for being so negative , i just had a really bad experience at a rave similar to that one before.ive a very low tolerance of that type music
    no worries, we all have baggage

Got to respect the Krustys + Id take an weekend of that trippy psy trance over Calvin Harris and Guetta any day!

Not to mention I quite enjoyed that vid :)
    pretty true. the fest this year was far better attended than the 2007 one in the vid but the vibe was similar. As usual with this type of fest, the real buzz was on the chill stage (where I played) and festivals outside of Ireland tend to put real work into making the ambient/chill stage something special.
    Re the Psytrance stuff ... I like some of the more adventourous stuff like OOOD but it's the case generally that if I'm passing by and suitably out of it then I can get into it but it's a real pain when you've had enough or would like something more stringent.

anyway, sorry if this has taken things off topic.

So what was the story with Orbital, were they just going through the motions? The last time I saw Phil Hartnoll he was pretty much phoning in his performance.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Surprised to hear Orbital were not that good, I was listening on the radio on Friday night and wishing I was there! Been a long time since I've seen them live.

Transylvania Calling sounds great on the chill front, might actually try make it over next year... never been to a chill type festival, would love to get to one. I like the psy end of it also but that video looks a tad quiet alright! You do need to be off your face though in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Orbital no good:eek::eek: surely not, i refuse to believe it :D

jonny68 wrote: »
    Orbital no good:eek::eek: surely not, i refuse to believe it :D
    yep, I heard they were miming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

anyone see the worlds biggest dickhead being the universes greatest asshole on stage during the guy from LCD Sound System (James Murphy) set ??

came out and started hugging the dj for like 5 mins while he was trying to play a set .. then mr muppet moy started lepping around stage like a loon and made the records skip ... twice...

what a sad exuse for a human... and what a little life he must have to need to be seen in the company of someone with actual talent..

rant over

E.P. 2009 : 'Meh'pic

Johnny Moy did that,really:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

jonny68 wrote: »
    Johnny Moy did that,really:eek:

Ha ha i would'nt put it past him in fairness, suprised he was'nt askin him to play love story on repeat.

In Oxygen a few years back Johnny Moy play Drop the Pressure by Mylo at the end of his set. Guess who was on after him? Yeah you guessed it, Mylo. Talk about a no no. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

In Oxygen a few years back Johnny Moy play Drop the Pressure by Mylo at the end of his set. Guess who was on after him? Yeah you guessed it, Mylo. Talk about a no no. :rolleyes:

LOL Never new that chap was like that :rolleyes:

Used to work with someone who knows him really really well. Apparently he's been a bit of a mess for the last while. Shame really. Looked like he actually had a chance of going somewhere.

I think he was managing a fairly up and coming Irish band that where looking like they were about to hit the big time. But nothing seems to have happened with them.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of the band now. Have seen them live a couple of times and they were quite good. Similar to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Mainline was the name of the band Moy managed.

jtsuited wrote: »
    Mainline was the name of the band Moy managed.
    Ahh that's the one! Cheers.

Oh the irony!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The rain and unbelievable mud put a definite dampner of the EP this year. I went down the Sat morning and got back on Mon afternoon. It was almost heart breaking to see such nice sunny weather on Mon morning after the rain on Sunday.:(

The line up of acts IMO was nowhere near as good as the last time I went in '07 but there is always at least something to see and do. I agree with the others about the rave in the woods - I was at it on Sat night with my mates and the music was far too repetitive and unimaginative.

Plusses were Tommy Tiernan at the comedy tent, Madness, Royksopp and Flaming Lips. The food as always was great.:cool:

It's a real bummer the way they close all the bars in the main arena at 10pm. WTF is that all about? Big plus is the almost complete lack of a scumbag element.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Big plus is the almost complete lack of a scumbag element.

You at the same Electric Picnic I was at?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

Have to say I thought there were very few scumabags at it. Obviously you will get some though. Highlights were Orbital, Chic and 2manydj's. Missed Moderat though, gutted!

You at the same Electric Picnic I was at?
    Really, where did u see them? I honestly saw none. Saying that I was not at the psytrance at all, I'd say if there were any they would be there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Funkatron

Anyone know if The Hacker set was recorded and downloadable anywhere? Probably one of the highlights of the weekend by far!

If anyone knows of ANY recorded sets from this EP please let us know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Really, where did u see them? I honestly saw none. Saying that I was not at the psytrance at all, I'd say if there were any they would be there...

Whaa? Psytrance is Crusty music. Knackers dont usually get it. Its like DnB, they just cant usually handle it. Knackers usually head for the best known comercial stuff or the hard house/clubland type of thing.

Psytrance definitely has a nacker following. Psytrance is just a varient of Trance after all, and we all know that most nackers are infected with Trance Aids :pac:

There was orbital and Too many DJ's for the well known stuff and I didn't see any at either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Psytrance definitely has a nacker following.

Wrong on so many levels. Psytrance doesn't have a, as you put it, knacker following. The majority of the people who attend psytrance club nights are hippies, metalheads, techno heads and ex goths. I've been going to and running psytrance nights for the past 6+ years and, although you might get 1 or 2 scobies in the club, it doesn't make it a 'following'.

Fair enough. I just have two horrible experiences of nackers and psytrance but perhaps it was conincidence. Regardless I did not see any nackers at EP not sure where thecommander saw them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I was was wondering who the f*ck that lad was. What a knob. Couldn't figure out why security didn't knock his block off. All it needed to have been the perfect set.

Although I can understand wanting to hug James Murphy, he just has that look about him. And the patience of a saint, too, apparently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement