Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic 2009

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd love to see that, any video's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

You at the same Electric Picnic I was at?
    I only came across a handful to be honest. I will admit I took time to look out for some, and on the friday in the campsite, I seen about 2 or 3 groups of nike trakky-wearing, earinged ***** walkin about the place....

In the arena, some drunk tinker, who was with his two mates, came over and pushed me when i walked towards the water taps to refill. I just turned to walk away when I noticed that he was goin over pushing peoples bottles at the tap. What a ****.

But ill say this - the proportion of scummers definetly did not increase since last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Musical highlights Four Tet, Explosions In The Sky and Orbital. Really enjoyed Erol Alkan too which I wasnt expecting. Its not really my type of dance music but he is clearly a very talented DJ. He won me over anyway and I danced my little socks off.

Biggest mistake was leaving Moderat to go see Chris Cunningham who started 40 or 50 minutes late. Standing waiting for him to come on sucked whatever little energy I had left out of me on Saturday. Then hearing the reports on how brilliant Moderat were after the technical problems at the start made it even worse.

I saw a few scumbags around but didnt have any bad experiences. The toilet situation is a joke though. Cant believe they were too lazy to cover up the wire fences somehow at the urinals. I saw way too much penis this weekend.

Overall I think this festival has lost alot of its magic. Its nearly become a sh!te parody of itself.

Lastly getting out of the carpark yesterday was a pain in the hole. I didnt get stuck but managed to take part of my bumper off which is gonna cost to get fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

jaysus I am f*cking shattered after that weekend....

Didn't see half as much as I had planned, which is always the way at EP, but still had a great time. There was a large amount of bad organisation this year though, which I wasn't too happy about...

It started in the car parks - we were down around 12/1pm and were sent to Car Park 'W', which was miles away. They had tracktors + trailers to ferry people to the entrance, so that wasn't too bad. Found out later on that the rain meant that they couldn't use some of the nearer fields as car parks, but c'mon - they knew about the rain since Monday - surely they could have prepared the fields.

After setting up tents/gazebo and chilling out for a while with some food + drink, we hit the venue on Friday evening and had a wander. I was going on Daroxtar's tip to see Beardyman live so we made our way to the Bacardi Bar for 8. Bumped into Drewdo, had a chat, then tried to get inside. Place was wedged as usual, eventually got in and the DJ was still playing with an MC. Beardyman was supposed to start @ 8, about 20 past MC gets on to say he's running late, but hang in there. 8.40 he gets back on to say Beardyman will be on at half 9 - a full hour and a half late! We said feck that and left.

Met back with some people, caught the end of MGMT, underwhelmed. Big anticipation for Orbital, was a good gig but not great. I suppose I was expecting big things, but I should have known they aren't really an open air main stage live act, and it was never going to compare to the last gig at Oxegen, which was one of it not the best gigs I've been at. Went to the Chai Wallahs tent then for a bit of a groove, then bed early @ 2am - wrecked after lugging all the gear round and setting up camp.

Saturday I caught a bit of Billy Bragg, a mate wanted to see him - well impressed. He's a proper pro - only him and his guitar on stage but he really held the crowd. Was expecting big things from Bat for lashes next, she cancelled which was another big let down. Think we just chilled somewhere for a while, saw a bit of The Field later on - I liked it but there wasn't enough going on for the mates I was with - they're not into their techno so they weren't feeling it. Ended up boozing late on Saturday, bed at 5am

Sunday was pretty wrecked, chilled out most of the day - went to catch Florence and the Machine in the electric but it was too hot and busy for me at that stage - tent was rammed full and large queue to get in, so didn't bother. Caught a bit of Bell X1 on the main stage, before meeting people for a drink before catching Damien Dempsey. Great gig by Damo as usual.

Overall though, as Eamon Dunphy says, it was a good festival, but not a great festival. With acts being late, cancelling, or on the wrong stage / tent for their size, and the overall poor organisation, it just didn't hit the heights at all of previous years. I know the weather didn't help, but it hardly rained all weekend and c'mon - it's Ireland, you have to be able to deal with a bit of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Bar Closing at 10 = BAD.
    Having to lug around stupid plasctic cups so that pints to dont cost 8.50 euros = BAD.
    Baguettes with practically rotten ingredients and cost 7 euro = BAD.
    Too much muck and not enough temporary walkways = BAD.

The music and the people = GOOD.

I enjoyed myself but EP is getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hesho wrote: »
    Have to say I thought there were very few scumabags at it.

Have to say I semi take it back. People were saying there was no increase from last year, I saw none last year so that's what it might be. it was a mix of local youths jumping the fences and creeping about, crusty pikey sorts and then yer good auld fashioned Dublin scummer.

Saw a few fights & heard of tents being robbed which I'd never seen/heard of before.

Another gripe I have is parents who decide that its ok to get mad out of it/locked and drag their kids into area where kids shouldnt be. I was at Benga & Skream on Sunday and a guy pushed a buggy in. On Friday night before Orbital there was a kid asleep on the ground at the main arena in the middle of all the people.

I know it's billed as a family friendly event, but I'm a skeptical about it, seems more of a ploy to sell more tickets. Even if it is full geared towards kids, a drunken crowd is not the place for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pink_monkeys

Was at Neutronix on Friday night at about 2am - 4am. I've worked with dance music for 10+ years and never in my life have I ever heard such muck. I know music is about personal taste but jeasus. We were there for 2 hours and every track sounded the exact same, there was 2 or 3 breaks in that time.

Anyone else have opinions on it?

i'm surprised at you commander dissing another form of electronic dance music like that, you are a far out there creator of tunes yourself and you could do worse listening to some of the same olde dribble being forced upon people down your way (will mention no names but they'll know who they are). neutronyx is what it is and makes no apolagies for it either, i guarantee you if you had been there from 5 or 6 pm to 5 am+ any eve and heard it progressing from minimal, breaks, house and some banging electro onto the harder edged sounds in the later hours and with the right attitude you would probably lose a few pounds in sweat in the process, dont diss it just cos what ya see at one particular point in the whole weekend, psy trance does actually work if ya just let go and getting ****ed up helps that all along nicely and on a final note they are the latest thing on each night so i rest my case. big up neutronyx for another fine weekends entertainment for the 3rd year in a row ;) and no hard feelings there mate

Think ive had the misfortune to be at a neutronix stage before in the life fest. ex rocker crusties that got into pills and decided that horse**** sytrance is the way to go, Ive met similar rave crews all over the place (australia, the states) its really shocking music, its a shame because they usually have a good set up and their heart is in the right place.

your name says it all friend, with the music having such a big following worldwide i dont see how you can diss it, yes its an uphill struggle here in this country and i really feel we're along way off the happy times of when creamfields experiences but i really do feel that if we all opened up a bit more again and forced any sign of negativity out of our nights out then we could take the clubs back for ourselves and just dance and enjoy each others company, neutronyx did what they were supposed to do big style over the weekend and thats a FACT ok, if some didnt like it then thats to be expected obviously, i had no interest whatsoever with some elements of the picnic but would dare diss it just cos it not my bag, lighten up lads and keep smiling for christ sake :):)

anyone see the worlds biggest dickhead being the universes greatest asshole on stage during the guy from LCD Sound System (James Murphy) set ??

I speak of that excuse for a human - 'dj' johnny moy ?

came out and started hugging the dj for like 5 mins while he was trying to play a set .. then mr muppet moy started lepping around stage like a loon and made the records skip ... twice...

what a sad exuse for a human... and what a little life he must have to need to be seen in the company of someone with actual talent..

rant over

E.P. 2009 : 'Meh'pic

i could not agree with you more,

we were lets say "getting into our groove" at about 10.30 on sat night at arcadia and were more than excited with the prospect of having the most funktion 1 in one place in this whole island surrounding us causing us to totally lose our senses to a higher plane and it worked,

the dj actually played 2 or 3 tunes my fella played in neutronyx over the weekend so we all really really got into it quite a bit, must have been near 2k people there but as soon as johnny moy got on stage i turned to a few mates who agreed this could go horribly wrong very f***ing fast and it did,

he started with mgmt (after they playing on the main stage only over an hour b4 that, major face palm for a 1st tune ffs!!) which will be going on youtube for anyone from here to go and laugh hard at, we had already giving each other signals that we'd give him 2 tracks and he'd be into his stride of ****ing up the mixes and ruining the buzz and we were right,

we ran for the good of our ears as he had beats clashing all over the place by the 3rd track disgusted that this eejit of a promoter of dance music got a set at arcadia over the weekend but then it was probably politics that got him in there in the 1st place (bad move!!)

i really do hate to diss anyone but he's like a bad smell and he cant mix to save his life,

on a final note did ya notice that as soon as he started pushing his vibes on the crowd the stage got hijacked by some scobes from the crowd and they caused a bit of hassle to the arcadia crew who should be be doing other things besides getting people down from a dangerous height of a stage (facepalm x 2 but would expect nothing else while he's playing)

my rant over but a big congratulations goes out to arcadia for another fine show overall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

your name says it all friend, with the music having such a big following worldwide i dont see how you can diss it, yes its an uphill struggle here in this country and i really feel we're along way off the happy times of when creamfields experiences but i really do feel that if we all opened up a bit more again and forced any sign of negativity out of our nights out then we could take the clubs back for ourselves and just dance and enjoy each others company, neutronyx did what they were supposed to do big style over the weekend and thats a FACT ok, if some didnt like it then thats to be expected obviously, i had no interest whatsoever with some elements of the picnic but would dare diss it just cos it not my bag, lighten up lads and keep smiling for christ sake :):)

This is a website where we can voice our opinions, fair play for stickin at what your into , but im entitled to let ya know what i think, i dont want to get into a psytrance is ****e and techno is deadly fight -- oh **** i just did, right im getting outta here :D:D:D

• Advertisement

i'm surprised at you commander dissing another form of electronic dance music like that, you are a far out there creator of tunes yourself and you could do worse listening to some of the same olde dribble being forced upon people down your way (will mention no names but they'll know who they are). neutronyx is what it is and makes no apolagies for it either, i guarantee you if you had been there from 5 or 6 pm to 5 am+ any eve and heard it progressing from minimal, breaks, house and some banging electro onto the harder edged sounds in the later hours and with the right attitude you would probably lose a few pounds in sweat in the process, dont diss it just cos what ya see at one particular point in the whole weekend, psy trance does actually work if ya just let go and getting ****ed up helps that all along nicely and on a final note they are the latest thing on each night so i rest my case. big up neutronyx for another fine weekends entertainment for the 3rd year in a row ;) and no hard feelings there mate

Think you have me confused with someone you think you know.

Minimal, breaks, house and some banging electro are all good in their own right, Im not disputing that. What I'm saying is the stuff, psytrance, is very very hard to listen to. I'm sure if you take enough drugs it will work its magic but thats not the way I feel music should be listened to. I'm not antidrugs, far from it, but if you can't listen to something sober, then what chance have you when your out of it. You're asking me not to judge a style of music based on the part I saw, but on earlier in the day when that style wasnt even being played!!

All criticisms aside, the setup was the best I've seen for a gig like that.

Being the latest to finish does not make the music the best.

There never was any hard feelings to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Was at Neutronix on Friday night at about 2am - 4am. I've worked with dance music for 10+ years and never in my life have I ever heard such muck. I know music is about personal taste but jeasus. We were there for 2 hours and every track sounded the exact same, there was 2 or 3 breaks in that time.

Anyone else have opinions on it?

I wasnt at the festival this year but ended up there (there being the Nutronix thing in the woods) one of the nights last year. Totally agreed, far too monotonous.

However, it must be noted that by the time everything else has wrapped its only the mahdourofvits left, and a frying pan being banged by a wooden spoon can be music to the ears of a mangler. So no matter what they play if its got a beat they'll get a crowd, simply because of the fact that theres nothing left apart from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dont diss it just cos what ya see at one particular point in the whole weekend,
    He listened to it for two hours, that's long enough to make up your mind if you like something or not!

with the music having such a big following worldwide i dont see how you can diss it,
    Akon has a worldwide following, as does Celine Dion.
    Can I not diss them because of their global following?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

vinylbomb wrote: »
    However, it must be noted that by the time everything else has wrapped its only the mahdourofvits left, and a frying pan being banged by a wooden spoon can be music to the ears of a mangler. So no matter what they play if its got a beat they'll get a crowd, simply because of the fact that theres nothing left apart from them.

I remember on the friday neutronix closed down aroudn 4am or so. However, about half a kilometre away in the woods some joker had set up a mobile pa hooked up to a car battery banging out some distorted to **** techno. Passed it again around 5am and there was over 300 people giving it socks and your one selling balloons had set up to one side. When there's a pill, there's a way apparently.

(also, saturday night there was a place doing toasted sandwiches with a small PA playing techno at the back of body and soul. A good 50 or 60 people getting well into it when I passed around 6am :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

*load of bollacks, load of bollacks*
    the dj actually played 2 or 3 tunes my fella played in neutronyx

Thank you, come again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Can anyone tell me how Switch played ?? :confused:

Can anyone tell me how Switch played ?? :confused:

As in what he played with (vinyl/laptop) or if he was any use?

As in what he played with (vinyl/laptop) or if he was any use?

oh sry i mean dj switch, how did he play? good,bad?

oh sry i mean dj switch, how did he play? good,bad?

He was Switch, nothing groundbreaking but not bad either. Chunky beats to get everyone jumping to. I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

He was Switch, nothing groundbreaking but not bad either. Chunky beats to get everyone jumping to. I enjoyed it.

Just listen to his set now, and not bad at all!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Seriously though, any time I witness anything related to psytrance I am convinced that it's some strange cult.

Anyone else with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

jtsuited wrote: »
    Seriously though, any time I witness anything related to psytrance I am convinced that it's some strange cult.

Anyone else with me?

Funny thing is ... I can sort of understand how you could arrive at that conclusion. I'd not be involved in 'the psytrance scene', have never made psytrance music but have had some of my purely beatless ambient mixed/mastered by a pretty well known psytrance producer. I've also played the chill/ambient stage at a few psytrance festivals and there are late night moments when I've been quite 'out of it' and got sucked into the whole psytrance vibe - the beat, visuals, trippy hippy yummy chicks and all the rest.

And it has felt like a tribal cult gathering. Curious.

At a festival recently and many of the folks were tripping and thinking back to having read somewhere (and not knowing how true this is) about how the relentless 140bpm beat behind psytrance is meant to bring up the heart rate and enhance the acid trip (starting to sound like a '50s anti weed advert), it was intereting to see crowds of folks facing the same direction, doing the same dance for hour after hour ... cult stuff indeed.

Still, it's dance music and as long as I'm in the mood I'll dance and show off the latest moves that I learn on this forum ... hell, I may have been the only guy at Transylvania Calling dancing like Techno Viking and facing in the wrong direction :D

Just listen to his set now, and not bad at all!!:D

Where abouts is it online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anyone else with me?

LOL . Ya, i think they're the cult of "I've been to Goa/Koh Phangan and this is what they do there". You have to watch out or you'll get annointed with the mystical henna and then some chap will try to brainwash you with his twirling fire on a chain:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 preamp

Didnt get to it this time round, would have liked to have seen Orbital on the Friday night, I heard they were supposed to be amazing. Ah not too worry, I seen them in Brighton earlier this year so it made up for it:).

Is there any live sets from it on the net??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Anyone else with me?

Reminds me of the wicker man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

If you're on about Switch aka Solid Groove etc., he didn't show... at least he wasn't there for the Major Lazer set, Diplo played on his own

Jev/N wrote: »
    If you're on about Switch aka Solid Groove etc., he didn't show... at least he wasn't there for the Major Lazer set, Diplo played on his own

Switch was on on Sunday. He rarely does the ML gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Switch was on on Sunday. He rarely does the ML gigs.

I see that now on the EP site, says to note that Switch will not be touring with Major Lazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Jaysus, here's me thinking this was a thread about our experiences of EP and not some bullshit argument about psytrance:rolleyes:

Highlights for me were Beardyman and Streetlife DJ's in the Bacardi tent on Friday night, the Hacker, 2 Many DJ's on Sat night and Royksopp, Fleet Foxes, Florence and the Machine on Sunday night.
    Streetlife DJ's are fookin fantastic, loads of free podcasts on itunes too, highly recommended.
    Also 2 Many DJ's for the whole show, visual aspect was fantastic, and mixing Slayer into Dolly Parton is always worth a look..

Didn't make it to the rave in the woods this year, but was there last year every night and had good craic, it is what it is, an opportunity for ravers to rave later into the night, all good if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Bar Closing at 10 = BAD.
    Having to lug around stupid plasctic cups so that pints to dont cost 8.50 euros = BAD.
    Baguettes with practically rotten ingredients and cost 7 euro = BAD.
    Too much muck and not enough temporary walkways = BAD.

The music and the people = GOOD.

I enjoyed myself but EP is getting worse.

jaysus that is shocking, i think my days of gong to festys in Ireland are over, i refuse to pay €250 entrance that is daylight robbery then €7 for a bloody baguette and €8.50 for a pint, absolute madness.:eek:

jonny68 wrote: »
    jaysus that is shocking, i think my days of gong to festys in Ireland are over, i refuse to pay €250 entrance that is daylight robbery then €7 for a bloody baguette and €8.50 for a pint, absolute madness.:eek:
    It's only €8.50 a pint because a large chunk of that is a deposit on the cup. Think it's only a fiver if you go back for a refill. Cuts down on needless waste. They do it in other countries too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah it's about time they did that deposit on the cup thingy. The waste at festivals on plastic beer cups alone was getting ridiculous.

I remember when they brought it in first a friend was telling me about one of their friends sons that spent the last night collecting all the empty cups. Made a couple of hundred €uros for his trouble. Little sh1t was only 10!! :D Fairplay though.

I first saw it when I was in Germany for an Ireland match. Beer and Deposit was much cheaper though, but it really does cut down on waste.

sorry to be posting this here but a young chap from Tramore, Co. Waterford who attended the picnic has not come home yet and folks are obviously becoming concerned:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0910/cumminsn.html

if anyone happened to see him around then I'm sure it would be helpful to let someone know.
    000295c610dr.jpg
    Cheers folks.
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Well People if you had've strolled over towards the Global green Area to the B.Y.E Tent you could've got a free can of Heineken in exchange for a full bag of empty cans... also we had music playing there all weekend and the vibe was absolutely amazing... no mud.. shoes/wellies off..
    you may have noticed all the metal drums painted up around the festival for rubbish.. plastic/cans/paper etc this was part of B.Y.E and there were loads of people with B.Y.E t-shirts around handing out clear Plastic bags for putting empties in... which you could return to B.Y.E for some cold Heineken!!

also the argument on PsyTrance/Techno/Breaks/Electro etc is one of Personal Preference if you dont like a particular Genre thats up to you but classifying everything in a Genre as ****e is ignoranat, as there is ****e in all areas of music..
    we played Arcadia on sunday night 10.15pm till about midnight... mainly breaks but a bit of dubstep and minimal techno and WoW was that system a buzz to Knock out tunes on.. the Arcadia crew are wicked heads so fair play to them....
    i also played Neutronyx on saturday night at 1am and played some dark Psy and again had a massive buzz... the neutronyx Crew really put on a great oul stage.. and big ups to them with the broad styles that were on over the weekend.. but Neutronyx are Psy and the fact that after Midnight Psy (in all its forms) was the genre is always gonna be the way it is... wicked

then over the weekend played chill out In B.Y.E all day.. and then Saturday night/sunday night we played (in B.Y.E).. grooving minimal techno and techno.. had a blast playing a multitude of genres over the whole weekend and am happy to say i love all forms of Good electronic music... sure is'nt that the way it was in Clubs years ago... no such thing as a techno night then or a electro night or whatever it was just Good electronic music.. no matter the genre.. once it all came together that was the idea...

Its all techno in one form or another :D

Peace :)

have some mixes recorded will post soon...:p

B.Y.E= Bin Your Empties=Be Your Environment..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

old gregg wrote: »
    sorry to be posting this here but a young chap from Tramore, Co. Waterford who attended the picnic has not come home yet and folks are obviously becoming concerned:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0910/cumminsn.html

if anyone happened to see him around then I'm sure it would be helpful to let someone know.
    000295c610dr.jpg
    Cheers folks.
    Mick

This is crazy.... Apparently this guy turned up 5 days later, asking some farmer for a cup of tea - he thought EP was still on. He was mad out of it on acid wandering around the forests. Great that's he's ok etc - but man that's a funny story! How embarrassing!!

Zascar wrote: »
    This is crazy.... Apparently this guy turned up 5 days later, asking some farmer for a cup of tea - he thought EP was still on. He was mad out of it on acid wandering around the forests. Great that's he's ok etc - but man that's a funny story! How embarrassing!!
    yea, I'd say he received a well earned ass whooping from his parents when he got home.

Advertisement