Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here are reasons for use of a sound suppressor/silencer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Jonty wrote: »
    I know. Basically I'll have to pay €80 twice. How do I get around it?

Ask your FO if he/she knows where the application was sent, in our area all the applications are going to one poor Garda who's been locked into a rural station with wheel barrows full of FCA1s, I do not envy that woman, well actually I do as I'm a shooting enthusiast, but you know what I mean.

Perhaps the situation is the same where you are, and your application can be fished out and the relevant box ticked for you. The FO was wrong and he/she should really go out on a limb to save you your hard earned money. If you don't ask........

I hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jwshooter wrote: »
    did you have a note form your super for the mod ? ,if so photo copy it and stick it in with your application .

Only applying to get a mod now on new application

Only applying to get a mod now on new application

Just tick the Silencer box in section 3.2 of FCA1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

G17 wrote: »
    I did that and put in a separate note stating my reasons for the mods.
    he seemed to have overlooked them but when he read through it again he seems happy with the reasons it is required but wants another note to the super from me saying I wish to apply for the moderator....
    Doing that this week .

G17 wrote: »

I did that and FO cancelled the tick, removed letter of application for mod from FCA1 form and said to reapply later when I get issued new license

• Advertisement

I did that and FO cancelled the tick, removed letter of application for mod from FCA1 form and said to reapply later when I get issued new license

Your FO is mistaken. It's quite clear in the Commissioner's Guidelines:

When an applicant is applying for a firearm certificate, the application should include whether or not a silencer is being sought for that particular firearm. A subsequent application for a silencer will require the applicant to re apply on a new application form FCA1 and will require the full €80 fee. As already stated, all firearm certificates must now include details of any authorisation for a silencer in respect of that particular firearm.

If I were you, if your FO still isn't clear about it (it's new to everyone) I'd ring the Garda Firearm Policy Unit, they might well phone your FO to explain, I've found them very helpful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Is the Garda not braking the law/doing something illegal, however you want to phrase it. He is intentionally and purposely altering your application (an offical document). Whether it is through ignorance or just being a dick either way he cannot put information in for an applicant or change details of an applicant no more than he can refuse to accept an application, which he is doing by erasing the tick on the moderator box and telling you to re-apply later.

Jonty i would print off the section of the commissoners guidelines that G17 outlined and bring it back to your FO. Tick the box in section 3.2 again and if the FO tries to erase it or make you alter it, ring the Garda firearms policy unit (Garda firearms policy unit 01 6661911.)there and then on your mobile and give the phone to your FO. See if he tells them he ie going to erase your tick again.

We all know we have to keep our FO, Super and Gardai in general happy for an easy life but do not let them bully you into doing this. You are 100% in the right.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Is the Garda not braking the law/doing something illegal, however you want to phrase it. He is intentionally and purposely altering your application (an offical document). Whether it is through ignorance or just being a dick either way he cannot put information in for an applicant or change details of an applicant no more than he can refuse to accept an application, which he is doing by erasing the tick on the moderator box and telling you to re-apply later.

Jonty i would print off the section of the commissoners guidelines that G17 outlined and bring it back to your FO. Tick the box in section 3.2 again and if the FO tries to erase it or make you alter it, ring the Garda firearms policy unit (Garda firearms policy unit 01 6661911.)there and then on your mobile and give the phone to your FO. See if he tells them he ie going to erase your tick again.

We all know we have to keep our FO, Super and Gardai in general happy for an easy life but do not let them bully you into doing this. You are 100% in the right.

In fairness to this FO he's 100%. It seems to be the same in Laois/Offaly area. A mate of mine in Ballylinan was told the same.

I'm living in Laois and have had no such trouble. Your FO may be 100% but as i said whether its through ignorance or just messing you around he is giving you wrong information. If you do not want to argue the point with him be prepared to pay €80 to re-apply for your licence with the mod on it, or just forget about the mod all together. If you want your mod you may tell him HE IS WRONG.

Don't mean to be a smart a**e but you are the one going to loose out if you let your application go through as your FO has left it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The way I thought the new system works is you tick the silencer box and include reasons why you want it. Then it's up to your Super to say Yea or Nay.

Old way being write him a letter and explain why you need it and he grants you a permit letter.

OK, nothing that I know of has been granted yet, but what is the new way, one of the above two, or both? Seems like double paperwork for all if it's both, one important aspect of the new system supposedly being a reduction of paperwork.

• Advertisement

You're right john, you tick the box and submit your application. The Super reviews your application and can grant the licence for the rifle and mod, the rifle on its own (no mod) or neither. No-one but no one can refuse to allow you to apply that much is a given. Whether you get it or not is up to the Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

johngalway wrote: »
    The way I thought the new system works is you tick the silencer box and include reasons why you want it. Then it's up to your Super to say Yea or Nay.

Old way being write him a letter and explain why you need it and he grants you a permit letter.

OK, nothing that I know of has been granted yet, but what is the new way, one of the above two, or both? Seems like double paperwork for all if it's both, one important aspect of the new system supposedly being a reduction of paperwork.

What I did John was to complete the license form and on the extra details required note, like for address's and reason for use, added my reasons for a mod.
    First up was that I have permission for the mods I have and then all the other reasons from the first post here on this thread.

Advertisement