Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win XP - Word - Columns

• 27-08-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Relatively simple request - trying to devide an A4 print into 4 columns.
    Tutorials say go to 'Format' and down to 'columns' - I've 'font', 'bullet', 'paragraph', and 'tabs' but I don't have 'columns' in my format menu - what can I do ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

There are probably a couple of ways to do this, but a quick hack would be to make a table with four columns and one row, setting the table border to nothing so that its invisible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thats a terrible idea. It'll just be a formatting mess.

OP when you open the Format menu there should be a small double chevron or arrow at the bottom of the menu. Click this to further expand the menu.

format-menu.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

5uspect wrote: »
    Thats a terrible idea. It'll just be a formatting mess.
    Unless the OP wants vertically aligned text...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

What version of Word do you have?
    In MS Word 2003, its right there on the toolbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

If you are using Word 2007 then it's a completely different interface. Go to the Page Layout ribbon and there is a column button. You can change the width of columns by clicking the column button and selecting 'more columns' from the dropdown menu.

I hate working with columns in Word, very messy. Consider using text boxes instead but remove the text box border.

• Advertisement

TBH Word is a mess anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

5uspect wrote: »

True but:

1) that doesn't help the OP
    2) it's currently the most predominant word processing package out there. Maybe, in the future Google Docs or Open Office might surpass it but until then that's what he's working with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Thanks for the info -

re
    'Page Layout'
    (in 'File' ?), I only have 'Page Setup' there.Don't even have a spellcheck in my Word .

re'
    In MS Word 2003, its right there on the toolbar
    .' UH UH,not there, and I think mine is 03 because it says 'created 2004' in the 'properties'

I can rebuild car engines and bodywork, but this computer has me beaten - Maybe I deleated some program somewhere along the line, or should I always upload these 'Updates' MS keep sending me ?
    - Do I have too much faith in computers ?:P

Capri wrote: »
    Thanks for the info -

re (in 'File' ?), I only have 'Page Setup' there.Don't even have a spellcheck in my Word .

Under File you should see a lot of things.
    Open, save, save as etc. Do you see these?
    When you click the double chevron (looks like this « but points down) the menu expands as below.
    office_menus.png

re' .' UH UH,not there, and I think mine is 03 because it says 'created 2004' in the 'properties'[/QUOTE]

You may be running Office 2000, Office XP or an older version of Office. It does not matter when the file was created. (All that tells us is that you're not using Office 2007.

I can rebuild car engines and bodywork, but this computer has me beaten - Maybe I deleated some program somewhere along the line, or should I always upload these 'Updates' MS keep sending me ?

I think you're just missing a few important things to help you get to grips with it. You need to understand what certain buttons and icons do.

Every thing serves a function and a few of them, while appearing small in and insignificant are quite important such as the chevrons above.

If you uninstalled or deleted something the Word would simply not work.
    You wouldn't simply be missing icons from the application.

If you were wreckless in important folders ike C:\Program Files or C:\Windows then you'd be getting something like this
    BSOD_2.gif

Taking your engine analogy you are having trouble finding the correct way to use the heating system but so far you haven't gone anywhere near the engine, yet.

When you click the double chevron the menu expands as below.

Thanks - I know my double chevrons at least TG. I'm shocked to see I bought the system in Aug 04 ( 5 years have flown ! ), so maybe I can get an update to Office2007.
    I'm not too bad at checking out every little chevron and arrow, but even searching 'Word help' with the keywords of 'columns' or 'spellcheck' draws a blank !!

I do have a little Acer Aspire netbook and IT has columns etc on it so maybe I can print what I need from that while I'm sussing out an update for the main computer.:eek:

• Advertisement

I hate Office 2007. Its terrible (are you noticing a trend :)), although some do like the new user interface.
    Which version of Word do you have? Could you possibly have MS Works?

It would be unusual for the spell checker and basic editing options to be missing.
    (The F7 key is the shortcut for spell checking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,188 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im of the opinion of saying Screw It. I love Open Office. Office 2003 has been giving problems at work. So I offered to help. Just installed OO.org - The interface is the same as 2003 nearly and the Quickstarter is great.

OK, 24hrs on I've done and found a few things -

1) I've found out I've Windows XP Home Edition and WordPad Version 5.1

2) Downloaded OpenOffice.org 3.1 ,seems to be ok in 'Writer' mode - had tried to delete the programme when I couldn't figure it out, but perserverence won out and I found the correct programme 'by mistake' :D

3) Also spent 2 hrs yesterday running back and forward to my Re-charge cartridge centre because he gave me the wrong cartridges TWICE - first he gave me Dell ones (too long ) for my Lexmark, then when I returned he had 2 of 'MY' originals refilled,and 2 more 'Right length' Dell ones - except that the 'right length' ones had the WRONG TOP ( Clip wouldn't close on it !! ), so second time he swops tops but doesn't glue them ( "won't hold you any longer, they'll be ok when they're clipped in " !! )

Thanks for the OpenOffice tip - hope it's onwards and upwards from here.

heh, Wordpad /= Word. Very different programs.

Open Office is great, and free too.

Advertisement