Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Wine

• 27-08-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Not quite sure if this has been asked before, but which wines would you recommend from Lidl? I've heard there's fantastic wines reasonably priced there.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have had a few of them. Its mostly plonk Im afraid. Spend 15 euro on a French white/Italian Red if you want a decent bottle of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Really? I'v been told ya can get really decent bottles of red there for a fiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Beer Nut

Undertow wrote: »
    Really? I'v been told ya can get really decent bottles of red there for a fiver!

Depends on your definition of decent!! The odd time they great stuf in, for their price. A while back they had a wine for like 40 for a case of 6 and it was great. just buy a few of them and see if you like them.

The best wine in the world is the one you like most.

Beer Nut wrote: »
    The best wine in the world is the one you like most.

Aye true I suppose! :) I wouldnt be an expert when it comes to wines by any stretch of the imagination, and havent tried many types, although I reckon you cant go wrong with Chilean! I've never had a bad bottle so I try to stick with that! :D

Undertow wrote: »
    Aye true I suppose! :) I wouldnt be an expert when it comes to wines by any stretch of the imagination, and havent tried many types, although I reckon you cant go wrong with Chilean! I've never had a bad bottle so I try to stick with that! :D

Try argentina aswell there equally as good and have the same value as chilean but you are right the best value, for the most part are from chile and argentina. Again if you are spending in and around the €10 mark

• Advertisement

Beer Nut wrote: »
    Try argentina aswell there equally as good and have the same value as chilean but you are right the best value, for the most part are from chile and argentina. Again if you are spending in and around the €10 mark

Yeah that would be my budget, generally speaking. Any particular type of Chilean or Argentian wine that you think is popular by the way? Or would they all be much of a muchness when you would be only spending that much?

well personally i think Chile and Argentina do Malbec(its a grape variety) the best but to be honest at €10 any of there styles of wine will be excellent value. again it all depends on what you like the best. Just try a few types namely any cabernet sauvignon, shiraz and there sauvignon blancs are there other best grape varieties.

Ok well cheers for those tips! ;) Appreciated.

Happy Drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sh0egal

i had this wine from lidl a couple of weeks ago...it's €9.99 (i thought that was a bit expensive for lidl wine), i actually picked it up thinking it was €5.79!!! Anyway, it was gorgeous...would definitely buy it again.http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.tat.o.Chile_Sauvignon_Blanc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

sh0egal wrote: »
    i had this wine from lidl a couple of weeks ago...it's €9.99 (i thought that was a bit expensive for lidl wine), i actually picked it up thinking it was €5.79!!! Anyway, it was gorgeous...would definitely buy it again.http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.tat.o.Chile_Sauvignon_Blanc
    I had the same wine last Christmas and i can positively say it was the most fowl tasting wine that's ever passed my lips. No balance to it, way too acidic, horrible aftertaste, just really really badly made wine. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sh0egal

grenache wrote: »
    I had the same wine last Christmas and i can positively say it was the most fowl tasting wine that's ever passed my lips. No balance to it, way too acidic, horrible aftertaste, just really really badly made wine. Avoid.

I really liked that wine....each to their own i suppose, we all have different tastes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be honest, I've never had a wine from Lidl that I really liked or considered great value.
    My father keeps coming up with St. Emillion Grand Crus, Chablis Premier Crus, Rioja Grand Reservas and the like that he's bought in Lidl/Aldi.
    Generally they taste nothing like they should, though technically they are what it says on the label. He thinks he's gotten a great bargain cause they're €10 - €12 or so but they taste awful, generally.

I think, if you're gonna buy cheap wine then don't buy 'pretend expensive' wine. Buy from regions known for their inexpensive wine.

A Chilean wine for €8 will probably be far better value than a Borolo for €14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

sh0egal wrote: »
    I really liked that wine....each to their own i suppose, we all have different tastes!
    And that's what makes wine (and life in general) so interesting, its all about personal taste.

That's why when i'm at work, i don't like people asking me for 'a nice wine' - what i might consider "nice", the next person may not like it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I think if you want to buy a wine for €6, what can you reasonably expect from it apart from alcohol in a winey guise?

I can appreciate how if a person is hard up (and enough people are these days), he or she will simply want to get the cheapest wine possible. And why not?

But if your goal is to sample nice wines with a modicum of character, it is going to be difficult to do at such a low price.

I wrote a blog post yesterday on a (white) wine that I consider to be the best I've had for less than a tenner. Don't get too excited, it was still €9.95. Here it is -> http://bit.ly/k5Oym

The only review I've done of a Lidl wine so far is of a (not bad) €25 Amarone, here http://bit.ly/qUABh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I like palo alto cabernet syrah. Its half price in dunnes at the moment - €8.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

bennyob wrote: »
    I like palo alto cabernet syrah. Its half price in dunnes at the moment - €8.50

My parents always get the Palo Alto wines. In fairness, the taste is very good.

That said, the "half price" thing here is a gimmick, as it often is with supermarket wines. The Palo Alto wines seem to be permanently discounted. And there is no way that the "true" price of these basic, commercial wines is €17.

They are nice wines at the lower price though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Willie did some great posts on his wine blog in July and August re Lidl wines. I agree with Paul on this one, tough to find good wines at super cheap prices in Ireland. I'm sure there's the odd exception, I just haven't found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rediguana wrote: »
    My parents always get the Palo Alto wines. In fairness, the taste is very good.

That said, the "half price" thing here is a gimmick, as it often is with supermarket wines. The Palo Alto wines seem to be permanently discounted. And there is no way that the "true" price of these basic, commercial wines is €17.

They are nice wines at the lower price though ...

A friend of mine took Dunnes up on this.
    What he didn't expect was that when he next went into the shop the wine had doubled in price.:p
    I guess, if they put it at the high price every now and again, they're covered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The Telegraph ran a story on lidl wines last Feb.

ALDI TOP 5

1 2004 Viña Decana Crianza, Utiel Requeña, 12.5%vol, Spain (£3.99; Aldi). Everyone at my tasting applauded the soft gentle fruit of this bargain alternative to Rioja.

2 2004 Villa Malizia Chianti Superiore, 12.5%vol, Italy (£4.99; Aldi). Chianti Superiore for £4.99? I thought they were kidding, but really enjoyed its dark cherry fruit and fine structure.

3 2004 Ramon Lopez Murillo Rioja Reserva, 13.5%vol, Spain (£5.99; Aldi). Aged for three years, this is really pretty decent mature Rioja; soft, mellow and fruity.

4 2008 Freeman's Bay Sauvignon Blanc, 13%vol, New Zealand (£5.99; Aldi). The cheapest Kiwi sauvignon around and not bad either, with subdued grassiness and keen citrus notes.

5 2005 Chateau Grand Pey-Lescours, St Emilion Grand Cru, 13%vol, France (£10.99; Aldi). A great price for a traditional claret from a cracking vintage. Plenty of fruit and firm tannic backbone.

LIDL TOP 5

1 2007 Western Cape Chenin Blanc, 12.5%vol, South Africa (£3.08; Lidl). Amazingly, my favourite white. Serve well-chilled and enjoy its supple, rounded fruit.

2 2007 Australian Shiraz, 13.5%vol, Australia (£3.99; Lidl). Too blowsy for some, but others liked its full, rich spiciness.

3 2007 Pays d’Oc Viognier, 12.5%vol, France (£4.19; Lidl). Hardly the most peachy or apricoty of viogniers, but crisp, clean and refreshing.

4 2007 Fleurie, 13%vol, France (£6.99; Lidl). With its lovely jammy fruit and long finish, we all liked this.

5 2007 Vacqueyras, 14%vol, France (£6.78; Lidl). Rustic, spicy and full-flavoured. A great winter wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Nobleman: full cream Serious stuff:D and only €5 a bottle:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spunkytrunks

this guy reviews a lot of Lidl wines...

http://willieswineblog.blogspot.com/search?q=lidl

Advertisement