Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punishment for Proven Diving

• 27-08-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

Following Eduardo last night, simple question really, do you think players who dive should be banned and if so how long for?

Should Eduardo be banned and if so, how long for?? 54 votes

Not Banned
    0% 0 votes
    Banned for less than a month
    29% 16 votes
    Banned for more than a month
    57% 31 votes
    Banned from this seasons Champions League
    12% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You're asking the wrong question. He can't be banned as he hasn't committed a bannable offence.

If you're asking do you think players who dive should be banned and for how long? I say yes and 3 matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

You're asking the wrong question. He can't be banned as he hasn't committed a bannable offence.

If you're asking do you think players who dive should be banned and for how long? I say yes and 3 matches.

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

3 games, 2 weeks wages and a kick up the arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

it would have to be blatant, cause there really can't be any doubt about it when you charge someone with being a cheat - you could be geting into liable/slander issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Proven diving is the tricky bit, most dives in the area have an element of doubt in that there is usually some level of contact however small. If it can be shown that ZERO contact occured an immediate 3 match ban should be imposed with the understanding that if the player does it again he'll get 6 games off the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Trilla wrote: »

His skills are too much, he'd easily dive out of the way of the kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Should be a yellow card offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

greendom wrote: »
    Should be a yellow card offence.

Yes if the referee can tell it's a dive. Eduardo's mightn't have been too obvious from the refs view but on television, you could tell it was a dive. Video evidence should suffice and, as others have been saying, a 3 match ban. I reckon the ban should be imposed in that competition, so if Eduardo was to dive in the PL, he will also be banned for 3 games. That's missing 6 games in total...that would hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Depends.

If a player that not really a frequent diver makes the most of a tackle or contact in the box, I'd be lenient. It's awful when it happens to your team though.

If a player consistently goes down, they should be punished harshly though.

Same with that 'air-diving', where there is no contact.

The one thing I feel very strongly about is trying to get players sent off. Holding the face, exaggerating injuries and goading the referee to send people off. I would love to see players getting straight reds and bans for this in South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mars bar wrote: »
    Yes if the referee can tell it's a dive. Eduardo's mightn't have been too obvious from the refs view but on television, you could tell it was a dive. Video evidence should suffice and, as others have been saying, a 3 match ban. I reckon the ban should be imposed in that competition, so if Eduardo was to dive in the PL, he will also be banned for 3 games. That's missing 6 games in total...that would hurt.

So why should the punishment be worse because the ref was unable to spot it at the time?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    So why should the punishment be worse because the ref was unable to spot it at the time?

No I'm just saying that we could be shouting at the TV saying "Ref, yellow card!" when he mightn't have been able to make it out. I agree, it should be a yellow card offense, and I believe it is anyway when the ref is certain it was a dive. It is becoming so prominent in the game, that the only way to stamp it out, IMO, is to have strong sanctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Stone them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mayordenis wrote: »
    His skills are too much, he'd easily dive out of the way of the kick.

ok send him for a weekend in Castletown then, he'll be rollin around, slappin, schmokin and drinkin up there. What more could ya want like hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

well the punishment for a dive is a yellow card, so calls for him to be banned is stupid

should it be upped, yes to a red card IMO, which is a 1 match ban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it should be a red card, and that's that.

I think it should be a red card, and that's that.

Yes but what happens if the ref doesn't give him a red card? What happens after the game? The ref didn't give a card last night so what should be the punishment?

Perhaps 3 games is too harsh, Donati is calling for a 2 match ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He should get nothing. He took a risk trying to help his team and he succeeded. Even if he did get caught the penalty is a yellow card, not a red or a year long ban from the Champion's league. The ref made the mistake here, not Eduardo

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

+1

and if they continue to dive on a return from suspension the ban should be upped to at least 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

what about an unmissed puched goal or a deliberate handball on the line preventing a goal that is missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Does there need to be a distinction made between diving in the box to get a peno or diving outside to get a free. Surely, there is a difference in intent and potential reward?

The plot thickens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

I've just seen Eduardo's dive from last night for the first time.

SKY Sports had a slow-mo replay on-screen 27 seconds after the incident and the penalty was actually taken another 50 seconds later.

In this type of incident, it would not slow down the pace of the game AT ALL to refer it to a TV ref before making the correct decision.

This stuff is simple. The longer the respective governing bodies keep their heads in the sand over issues such as this, the more prevalent they will become and the more the game will suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'd ban someone for the CL season if their dive was ridiculously obvious from TV footage, it might a deterrent for other players to attempt it. I felt so bad for Boruc yesterday when I saw that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Does there need to be a distinction made between diving in the box to get a peno or diving outside to get a free. Surely, there is a difference in intent and potential reward?

The plot thickens...

no there is no difference.

there are way too many grey areas and I would say a lot of players would be incorrectly sent off and a lot would get away with it which would anger fans worse than now. i do think that pretending to be injured should be absolutely stamped out, nothing better to see than a player getting fouled and them jumping up and getting on with the game, o mouthing no rolling around on the ground although this would mean Drogba would see no pitch time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

no there is no difference.

there are way too many grey areas and I would say a lot of players would be incorrectly sent off and a lot would get away with it which would anger fans worse than now. i do think that pretending to be injured should be absolutely stamped out, nothing better to see than a player getting fouled and them jumping up and getting on with the game, o mouthing no rolling around on the ground although this would mean Drogba would see no pitch time! :D

Agreed, a lot of people hate the rule that you need to go off the pitch but I think that its the start of a good idea. For example, if a player was writhing around in agony and a physio is needed and therefore the player has to off the pitch, i reckon he should have to stay off the pitch for 2 minutes at least as surely this is the time he would need to recover from a painful 'injury'

It would stop players going down if they knew the team would be a man down for 2, 3 or 4 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

For Penalty decisions (give/not give) it just proves that football needs to drag its arse into the 21st Century. If rugby can use video replays then why not Footie. A trained Video ref could give a decision in 20/30secs (watched from two different angles). Wouldn’t slow the game down + would practically eliminate diving from the game,(< nobody is going to dive if they could get sent off from video evidence)

If its a blatant dive with no contact made then straight red, but the with current system> 2 match ban for Eduardos incident.
    (It was a good dive, maybe he should a cookie for effort :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Trilla wrote: »

+1

And a football in the groin for good measure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

UEFA are looking at the incident so the ref must have put it in his report, i'd expect the cheat to recieve a 2 match ban and a hefty fine,might clamp down on this diving crap,i hate to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

"Banned from this seasons Champions League"
    Are you having a laugh? :eek:
    3 Matches and thats that, Uefa shouldn't be only singling out Eduardo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Redzer7 wrote: »
    "Banned from this seasons Champions League"
    Are you having a laugh? :eek:
    3 Matches and thats that, Uefa shouldn't be only singling out Eduardo though.
    Its just an option, i didnt vote for that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Retrospective judging of video evidence from a panel is what is needed. Anyone judged to be diving should get an automatic 3 game ban and fine. Fans will quickly turn on players diving players from their own team as it will cost them.

This combined with the ban/fine itself should seriously reduce the amount of diving. It is a blight and makes me ashamed of the game I love.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Diving is everywhere in football and always has been. You cant ban someone for a month for diving - thats madness.

The rule at the moment is a yellow card for diving which seems about right - its definitely a card offense. It seems the only time a player is booked is when he dives in the box looking for a penalty. I've never seen a defender booked for diving. It is something inherent in the game and always will be.

Maybe something like a ban for a consistent offender - say booked 3 times in a season results in a 3 game ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

If the ref had sent him off, yes the ban should follow.
    As far as last night, he shouldn't and won't be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

If the ref had sent him off, yes the ban should follow.
    As far as last night, he shouldn't and won't be banned.

I wouldn't be to confident on that Willie, UEFA will be all over this and its early in the season, nice time to make an example out of someone and try get diving out of the game. Watch this space.

Advertisement