Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right of way

Options
  • 27-08-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I was going to post this in Motors, but I reckoned I'd get better feedback here.

89138.JPG

For those of you who don't recognise it, it's the junction outside Monroes on Dominic Street.

Car A is turning right, and car B is turning right to go into the straight ahead lane. Both have been stopped, and move off at the same time.

The only signage is the Yield sign.

Who has right of way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

If there is a yield sign at Junction A and not at JB then I would say that B has the right of way. I think it is pretty much a free for all there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

You forgot the taxis parked just past Apache blocking the view of the junction at McGuires :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

technically, there shouldn't be a problem cause they can both turn without interfering with each other.

Since this is Galway, however, the bigger car wins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where is the pedestrian crossing, where is it safe to cross?
    Won't someone please think of the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Galway History Trivia Question: Who knows the name of the bridge that car C is turning onto?

Clue - It's the same name as a far more famous bridge in Dublin.

As to the OP's question - typical Galway junction design, so the only rule is "Might is right" - bigger, brasher car/driver wins:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

Whoever manages to pull out first! I'm betting on car A, he got a headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say B has right of way since they are both pulling onto the "main street" from side streets. A has yield sign and a box in front of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ugh , that junction .

The answer is probably both . Where did they hit each other :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It is a dubious one. I usually let B go as he's turning right and it's a more difficult manoeuvre and the 'give way to traffic on your right' rule although I'm on his right too. I have more craic turning right as car A you nearly need to
    say 3 hail marys the visibility is so bad.

but seriously, it doesn't matter - they both have the right of way, since they're both turning right. The junction layout is a bit awkward for the normal 'american turning' manouvre (that's what they taught us back in driving school), but technically it should still work.

Having said that - I'd go an extra mile just to avoid that junction...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

churchview wrote: »
    Galway History Trivia Question: Who knows the name of the bridge that car C is turning onto?

Clue - It's the same name as a far more famous bridge in Dublin.

As to the OP's question - typical Galway junction design, so the only rule is "Might is right" - bigger, brasher car/driver wins:D

hapenny bridge did i win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

B has right of way, IMHO

I'm never really in position B, but in position A a lot so I wish A had Right Of Way but as far as i'm concerned B has right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

OUT OF MY WAY!!
    IM A MOTORIST!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

D: has right of way as they are already on the main road.

B should have right of way over A as they will be on the main road when meeting A at the junction.

If A turns right they have right of way over C, otherwise C can proceed.

The yield sign is pointless as all traffic wishing to join a major road must yield anyway to traffic already on the main road, if they are roads of equal importance then each vehicle yields to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I had always seen it as B having right of way over A. There's the yield sign, plus technically A has to go against traffic on a one way street, added to B being, in my view, a more important street as it is 2 way where A is one way.

This morning there was a car moving from position A as I approached position B. I let him go before I moved off as he was already on the junction. I then went to move off from position B, as I do every morning. Another car, which had also been stopped, went to move off position A at the same time. He stopped halfway through the turn, glared at me, and rolled down his window. Recognising the light blue collar peeking out from under his jumper (it was 9:55am; shift change time), I also rolled down my window.

Driver A alleged that he had right of way because I had gone through a stop sign (I went back after and checked, and I certainly couldn't find one). He also stated that he had right of way as he was turning right (I didn't point out that so was I) and that I should yield to the person turning right. Rather then block traffic and have an argument with him, I drove on.

I'm hoping to meet him on the street later and point out the error of his ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

A pox on all you polluting, car-owning inconsiderates. If everyone took the bus like you are supposed to we wouldn't be in this mess.

I usually bound from rooftop to rooftop in my leotard so its not a problem...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

A pox on all you polluting, car-owning inconsiderates. If everyone took the bus like you are supposed to we wouldn't be in this mess.

I usually bound from rooftop to rooftop in my leotard so its not a problem...

'cptr
    So are you volunteering to give up your bike?

Fey! wrote: »
    I'm hoping to meet him on the street later and point out the error of his ways!

Maybe we should go to parties together more often...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

if there was traffic backed up from the fire station B should wait until there is room to get into the left lane without obstructing A. If their is no traffic bulid up both should should be able to drive off at the same time and go around one another like at any crossroads where 2 cars turning right meet.
    Car A IS NOT at any point going the wrong way on a one way street. its not signed as a one way street coming out beside macguires.
    Actually even if you come out of the car park behind monroes there are no signs or road markings to say you cant turn left. and it only turns into 3 lanes after this road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Car A IS NOT at any point going the wrong way on a one way street. its not signed as a one way street coming out beside macguires.
    Actually even if you come out of the car park behind monroes there are no signs or road markings to say you cant turn left. and it only turns into 3 lanes after this road

There was no traffic between Monroes and the fire station (for once!).

Good point about the lack of one way signs. I had always thought that the one way started at Monroes, but you're right about where the road splits. Does that mean that ALL traffic must go into the left hand section at Maguires until after that little turn? It would be bedlam if everyone obeyed that (not that it's nice and orderly the way it is now!!)

@Galah; don't be putting bad ideas in my head!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

if there was traffic backed up from the fire station B should wait until there is room to get into the left lane without obstructing A. If their is no traffic bulid up both should should be able to drive off at the same time and go around one another like at any crossroads where 2 cars turning right meet.

That's what I was thinking, this situation often occurs for me there..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

hobochris wrote: »
    D: has right of way as they are already on the main road.

B should have right of way over A as they will be on the main road when meeting A at the junction.

If A turns right they have right of way over C, otherwise C can proceed.

The yield sign is pointless as all traffic wishing to join a major road must yield anyway to traffic already on the main road, if they are roads of equal importance then each vehicle yields to the right.

Correct answer !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Great thread!

I usual behave as though the other driver has right of way just in case they think they do, even when I think they don't.

No, this doesn't mean I behave like a wuss, just that I don't let concern with my legal rights affect the probably of getting panel damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

JustMary wrote: »
    I usual behave as though the other driver has right of way just in case they think they do, even when I think they don't.

No, this doesn't mean I behave like a wuss, just that I don't let concern with my legal rights affect the probably of getting panel damage.

This is probably the best way to drive around galway in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

JustMary wrote: »
    Great thread!

lol,what happens when you meet someone on the road with the same idea!

Saw that happen once, when the lights at Taylors Hill/Salthill/The Crescent were out of order (no road signs there to guide you should the lights fail (actually another pet hate of mine, other countries have a proper backup for such eventualities...).

Four cars stopped on each side of the junction, everyone looking at each other, wondering who can go first.

The big SUV won.

Advertisement