Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experiences with Mark McGuire Motors Milltown Malbay

• 27-08-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had dealings with the above car sales company and if so could you tell me what you think?

I've searched threads and it hasn't come up before.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Same question as above, has anyone dealt with Mark McGuire Motors before?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

Hi folks, just wondering if either of ye ended up buying from Mark Mcguire Motors. The missus is interested in a car there and wondering if ye had any experiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

skerry wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering if either of ye ended up buying from Mark Mcguire Motors. The missus is interested in a car there and wondering if ye had any experiences

I'd say no news is good news. For sure, if there were issues, the'd have been well aired here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Seems mostly good spec low mile UK imports

The MOT history check is a good first look to see if mileage talies.
    https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Make sure you do a full history check to see if there's any other issues that could be present as you should when buying any used car.

Seems mostly good spec low mile UK imports

The MOT history check is a good first look to see if mileage talies.
    https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Make sure you do a full history check to see if there's any other issues that could be present as you should when buying any used car.

Cheers, I'm from Clare myself and have drove out there a couple of times. Not your typical garage, have yet to have someone come out and ask was I ok and been out several times. Some lovely cars there though and prices seem good compared to the same cars in more conventional establishments in Ennis area. Looking at a 2013 car and ad says 3 month warranty, would be expecting more than that with a car only 3 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Considering sterling has collapsed a fair bit against Euro, even in the past week, I'd look to price any of these cars in the UK, if they are all coming from there anyway.

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Considering sterling has collapsed a fair bit against Euro, even in the past week, I'd look to price any of these cars in the UK, if they are all coming from there anyway.

Would love to go that route as it seems a good time to do so., just don't have the time at the moment for a trip to England with a new arrival in the house.

Three months is ****e to be fair on any sort of a recent car.

Have you something in mind?

Congrats on the arrival.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get an independent mechanic to check it over regardless of any reviews you read!

Three months is ****e to be fair on any sort of a recent car.

Have you something in mind?

Congrats on the arrival.

Cheers.

He has a 2013 Civic (1.8 diesel) out there, has had it for a few months now. Herself sold her 2006 1.8 petrol Civic before baby arrived and wants to get the new model now. Older one was high on tax and she wants something that she'll get a few years out of.
    Surely they'd give a 6 month warranty if it meant moving a car. Not decided on it yet but might drive out for a look over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it's there a few months it's probably costing them more than it should.

For what it's worth, a few people I know bought corollas off him without issue.

Cheers.

He has a 2013 Civic (1.8 diesel) out there, has had it for a few months now. Herself sold her 2006 1.8 petrol Civic before baby arrived and wants to get the new model now. Older one was high on tax and she wants something that she'll get a few years out of.
    Surely they'd give a 6 month warranty if it meant moving a car. Not decided on it yet but might drive out for a look over the weekend

There are two lads side by side almost out there, selling imports.

If you go that far, call in to the other lad as well.

To my mind, 3 months is a joke of a warranty on that age car, so see if that can be increased.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it's there a few months it's probably costing them more than it should.

For what it's worth, a few people I know bought corollas off him without issue.

Definitely there a while now, just not sure if its there before sterling crashed. Will swing out for a gander tomorrow anyway. Cheers

There are two lads side by side almost out there, selling imports.

If you go that far, call in to the other lad as well.

To my mind, 3 months is a joke of a warranty on that age car, so see if that can be increased.

3 months is piss poor alright for a 3 year old car, 6 would be a minimum acceptable warranty. I bought a 5 year old import from a Galway dealer last year and got 12 months warranty.

Derek Considine is the other lad. Spoke to him a few times and he's seems dead on. Know a few lads who have bought off him and no issues. He doesn't tend to get in Civics though, mostly Fords and VW's

Is it one of the cheapest examples out there?

Is it one of the cheapest examples out there?

Yeah, pretty much. Why?

The old "you can't have it all" thing!

You can get ones with better warranties elsewhere, but you gotta pay.

The old "you can't have it all" thing!

You can get ones with better warranties elsewhere, but you gotta pay.

True, mileage pretty good too, lot of other 2013's have 100k km+ on them. Will see if I get out to him tomorrow what the craic is. The missus drives around a 4 km round trip to work and I've been trying to get her to get something sensible but no talking to her.

You could always stick a Mapfre warranty on it for €400 or so.
    They usen't be an amazing warranty back when I sold cars though, but better than nothing.

Getting a diesel for that mileage is ridiculous though. Post 08 1.8 civics like your wife's old 06 one are €390 tax. The diesel won't be as unburstable as her older petrol one.
    You're spending 10k odd to trade up and all to save €400 a year on tax?
    The new model isn't the leap forward from the 06 model that it should be.

You could always stick a Mapfre warranty on it for €400 or so.
    They usen't be an amazing warranty back when I sold cars though, but better than nothing.

Getting a diesel for that mileage is ridiculous though. Post 08 1.8 civics like your wife's old 06 one are €390 tax. The diesel won't be as unburstable as her older petrol one.
    You're spending 10k odd to trade up and all to save €400 a year on tax?
    The new model isn't the leap forward from the 06 model that it should be.

Trust me, I've been preaching the same thing to her but its not registering.

Looked at a nice 2010 1.4 Petrol Civic from a private seller today. Looked fine and girl selling it seemed dead on but turns out her Dad services her car for her and as a result has no service stamps on the book. Not sure I'd risk buying a 6 year old car with no service history, imagine it would be difficult to sell on too

• Advertisement

They seem to be got from main dealers in the UK for 8500-9000 GBP + 2300 VRT.

13750 is strong for that?

Trust me, I've been preaching the same thing to her but its not registering.

Looked at a nice 2010 1.4 Petrol Civic from a private seller today. Looked fine and girl selling it seemed dead on but turns out her Dad services her car for her and as a result has no service stamps on the book. Not sure I'd risk buying a 6 year old car with no service history, imagine it would be difficult to sell on too

I wouldn't be too worried about resale, I service my civic myself every 8,000km using fully synth oil, I have no stamps. They're not temperamental about oil type or bang on servicing.
    Civics are gone very expensive though. If you're paying heavy money it'd want to be right.

Have a look in the UK/NI for one. You do miss some if the nice bits from the 1.8 like the cruise and panoramic roof etc by going 1.4 - but chape tax shur!

What about a Prius?

I wouldn't be too worried about resale, I service my civic myself every 8,000km using fully synth oil, I have no stamps. They're not temperamental about oil type or bang on servicing.
    Civics are gone very expensive though. If you're paying heavy money it'd want to be right.

Have a look in the UK/NI for one. You do miss some if the nice bits from the 1.8 like the cruise and panoramic roof etc by going 1.4 - but chape tax shur!

What about a Prius?

They are expensive alright. Don't think she'd entertain a Prius though, loved her last Civic but tax was a killer, ended up selling it private the week before the baby arrived, perfect timing. Eager to get something sorted now as she's back to work next week.

What money did she get for the 06 out of curiosity?
    Tax is a pain, €60 a month or so, but so is spending €13k or whatever you're about to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Be careful with a 3 month warranty on a diesel honda I'm not sure about the 1.8 diesel but 2.2 diesel is notorious for dpf issues especially with people that are doing very short mileage. I've had problems with my own accord but luckily i got a years warranty and it's an 11 reg

The money you save now could be eating away if it causes problems outside of the warranty.

What money did she get for the 06 out of curiosity?
    Tax is a pain, €60 a month or so, but so is spending €13k or whatever you're about to

Think she got €4500 for it a few months back, car was in great nick and she puts feic all mileage up. Hopefully I'll talk some sense into her tomorrow.

2010 Civic looked fine today and 1.4 would suit her fine but zero service history kinda put us off it. Pity

There wil be other ones. Would you travel to NI for one?

There wil be other ones. Would you travel to NI for one?

Would definitely be a better option than having to go over to England, zero holidays to take at work after baby arrived. Wouldn't know where to look though with regards reputable dealers , although I imagine autotrader would be a start.

Yeah, I was looking at them for another boardsie before and there's a few 1.4 Si models up north.
    They're not mad cheap but are usually in very good order and low mileage.

I think Charles Hurst will bring stock down to their garage in Dublin. Would be better warranty wise.
    They're bulletproof though so I wouldn't be too worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Realistically any major fault that is present is going to show up within 3 months of driving, after that your on your own, if the price reflects this compared to 12 month warranty from a main dealer it's worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Try a vehicle sourcing company. I hate to sound like I'm shilling but m6 motors in ballinasloe offer that service. Tell Alan what you want and he will find it. With sterling plummeting it is a good option to go to England.

Alternatively do the donkey work yourself, a friend got a Mondeo this year from England. He paid for an AA check on a car he liked and then had it delivered to his door. It worked out the same as flying over and driving home but he didn't have to take off work or anything.

Yeah, I was looking at them for another boardsie before and there's a few 1.4 Si models up north.
    They're not mad cheap but are usually in very good order and low mileage.

I think Charles Hurst will bring stock down to their garage in Dublin. Would be better warranty wise.
    They're bulletproof though so I wouldn't be too worried.

Had a look on Charles Hurst site and there is a few 2013 1.4L SE models (I think the SE is the lower spec). So you reckon if I rang the NI garage they might bring a car down to Dublin? I presume it would be a VRT is myself job then? 2013 1.4's are about €8800 and I think VRT is €2600 working out at total of €11,400 which is pretty good.

Just checked ROS there on a 1.8L petrol and its working out at nearly 4 grand, that's some difference.

Trying the convince herself she doesn't need diesel and she's afraid if she want for 1.8 petrol again that her insurance might be mad.

Never made it out to Mark McGuire yesterday anyway. Wouldn't mind travelling up to Dublin or NI if necessary if it meant saving 2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Charles Hurst have a dealership in Dublin too, I'd try ringing them.

BTW if you don't like the Prius then there is the Auris Hybrid and Lexus CT200h, both are based on the Prius but obviously with more normal styling.

Lexus CT200h:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/CT200H/HYBRID-ADVANCE/201114580369578970/
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/CT200H/*ADVANCE*LEATHER*SAT-NAV*/201014615970468230/

bazz26 wrote: »
    Charles Hurst have a dealership in Dublin too, I'd try ringing them.

BTW if you don't like the Prius then there is the Auris Hybrid and Lexus CT200h, both are based on the Prius but obviously with more normal styling.

Lexus CT200h:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/CT200H/HYBRID-ADVANCE/201114580369578970/
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/CT200H/*ADVANCE*LEATHER*SAT-NAV*/201014615970468230/

Thanks Bazz, I might bell them tomorrow, although I didn't see any Civics on their Irish site the other day. Lexis looks nice but way over budget. The civic she say locally is 13500 and realistically the budget is closer to 12 k unfortunately

I'd say they only stock the popular stuff in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I'd say they only stock the popular stuff in Dublin.

Live chatted to them on the website earlier and they are going to fire on a video tour of the car and they provide a accurate VRT estimate (worked out at around €2600 for me).

Train up to Belfast in the AM and drive the car back (presuming it's right) is not too much bother if I'm saving a bit and she's getting a car that suits her needs. It's the SE-T model which has bluetooth and Sat Nav too so nice little extras to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Try a vehicle sourcing company. I hate to sound like I'm shilling but m6 motors in ballinasloe offer that service. Tell Alan what you want and he will find it. With sterling plummeting it is a good option to go to England.

Alternatively do the donkey work yourself, a friend got a Mondeo this year from England. He paid for an AA check on a car he liked and then had it delivered to his door. It worked out the same as flying over and driving home but he didn't have to take off work or anything.

+1 for M6 Motors

Live chatted to them on the website earlier and they are going to fire on a video tour of the car and they provide a accurate VRT estimate (worked out at around €2600 for me).

Train up to Belfast in the AM and drive the car back (presuming it's right) is not too much bother if I'm saving a bit and she's getting a car that suits her needs. It's the SE-T model which has bluetooth and Sat Nav too so nice little extras to have.

Sounds ideal. Hopefully it works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Can you hold off a week? Sterling is going way down and I'd say will continue to fall.

Can you hold off a week? Sterling is going way down and I'd say will continue to fall.

Cheers, will be next week by the time I make a trip up if I go ahead with it so hopefully it'll be even more favourable by then.

• Advertisement

As luck would have it, just as I find the car that the missus has agreed on, I had a mail from Charles Hurst today it was sold :(

Car was a 1.4L 2013 Civic, 47k miles, SE-T spec and was priced at 7995. Am looking for similar car, SE-T spec or higher if possible. There are a few more 2013 Civics on the site but all have slightly lower mileage and basic SE spec and are coming in slightly above budget.

Is there any other reputable dealers in the Belfast area I should have on my radar where I might find such a car, don't want to be tying myself down to one option.

Advertisement