Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get a Trilby in Dublin

• 27-08-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Besides the Hat Shop in Stephen's Green Centre where else could I find a decent Trilby in Dublin?

The Hat Shop had one I liked but not in my size and it's going to be a few weeks before they have a new order coming in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'd also be interested in this or a decent fedora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Most highstreet boys shops seem to stock trilbies these days. Try topshop or M&S. Fedoras are a little more difficult to find. You'll get reasonable quality ones in the mens department in Clearies (Dublin) but sad to say the best collection you'll find is online. I'd love to find a good hat shop in Ireland. When you know your hat size then online resourses are numerous.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You could try John Shevlin, he's a Master Milliner but quite reasonable in price. Shevlin.ie or even better, he has a space in the Cow Lanes Designer Studio on TempleBar so you can take a look at his wares and if he's in, have a chat with him.
    Handmade hats, best materials, and at as good a price for a thai wageslave made one from Topman. :)
    And you're helping to keep artisan crafts alive in Ireland, which is always a plus.

I've passed Shelvins on a few occasions but have only ever glanced in the window to see womens hats on display. I'll call in and have a real look around in the near future.
    I've met two millinars in the last 12 months who do wonderful and inovative stuff for the wimminz and I've yet to convince them to turn their hands to making mens hats. They both see themselves as designers rather then manufactures and there is very little going on in the way of Design for mens hats, not enough for it to be commercially worth while.

Aside and OT: Nevore, did I read correctly on another thread that you do alterations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

OldGoat wrote: »
    I've passed Shelvins on a few occasions but have only ever glanced in the window to see womens hats on display. I'll call in and have a real look around in the near future.
    I've met two millinars in the last 12 months who do wonderful and inovative stuff for the wimminz and I've yet to convince them to turn their hands to making mens hats. They both see themselves as designers rather then manufactures and there is very little going on in the way of Design for mens hats, not enough for it to be commercially worth while.

Aside and OT: Nevore, did I read correctly on another thread that you do alterations?
    Late reply!
    Yeah, Shelvins are the only ones I know of that do mens hats. Not as much as a market in it I guess, seeing as it's fallen out of fashion for men to wear hats (and braces and waistcoats alas!)
    And yes, I do alterations. Details in pm. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stein

even later....
    hi , I am only reading this now!!!
    I make lovely mens hats to order in Westport mayo . I am a milliner with 20 years experience ... If anyone is interested have a look at my site.... no mens hats displayed( ha ha ) buyt you can get a general picTURE
    if not try brown Thomas and look for a BORSALINO!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i hope it is okay to bump this thread (if not, sorry mods)

am looking for a reasonably priced brown trilby for a wedding in April.

can anyone recommend a good online shop (would prefer to get one in Dublin but.....)

thanks
    IB

John Shelvin, mentioned above is still your best bet. I've had 3 hats from him since this thread was first posted. :) If it's not in stock then he'll make one for you within a fortnight (and most likely quicker).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Trilby for a wedding?

Fedora's have way more style imho...

http://www.fashish.com/article/fedora_vs_trilby

114.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have to agree. Fedoras simply ooze class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement