Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone havin trouble find job this year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

spurious wrote: »

This is not a new situation. Why so many people were allowed enter teacher training courses when there was already an over-supply in most subjects is the question that should be asked.

Because, at least at second level teacher training is a mostly post-graduate course of study, with fairly high tuition fees, so the universities are more than happy to pack in the dip students to raise extra cash, knowing how popular teaching is as a profession in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

deemark wrote: »
    It's not necessarily a case of who you know. They aren't always rumours, many jobs are gone before they are advertised, but this is due to the fact that principals are obliged to advertise them, even though they are more than happy with the person in the job. To comply with the rules, they have to advertise. It's a daft system, as it only gives people false hope and wastes time and money.

I hear ya...
    sitstill wrote: »
    Because, at least at second level teacher training is a mostly post-graduate course of study, with fairly high tuition fees, so the universities are more than happy to pack in the dip students to raise extra cash, knowing how popular teaching is as a profession in Ireland.

I thought there was a quota in terms of subjects - eg Business graduates for PGDE were limited as there was so many looking to do it.
    Problem is now that there is shortage of say Irish graduates wanting to do the PGDE they just make up the numbers with other graduates as they won't run a course for free...

As teacher numbers are being cut jobs are being combined more so say in a case where a school had 3 Biology, 1 Physics and 1 Chemistry teachers and a Biology and Chemistry teacher left schools seem to be advertising for a Biology and Chemistry teacher to fill both roles - this as come up a lot in applications with various subjects...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

mrboswell wrote: »
    I thought there was a quota in terms of subjects - eg Business graduates for PGDE were limited as there was so many looking to do it.

As far as I know there is a quota to restrict the number of PGDE students who do business, thereby the points are higher to do business with the PGDE. I applied for the PGDE on the general entry and got it.
    However, when I got my school the principal advised me to do business and gave me business classes. I spoke with my UCD tutor, told her I only had business classes and she said it's fine. Now I'm teaching business as one of my two PGDE methodology subjects.

In my view they should seriously restrict the number of students doing history and English, the two subjects which are the most popular on this year's PGDE in UCD. The points should be raised substantially or else PAC should refuse to take students doing those subjects for a couple of years. In contrast, there should be more people doing Irish and Maths, which are subjects that are, relatively, in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

spurious wrote: »
    The problem is there are too many qualified people and too few jobs - even less now since the cutbacks and increase in PTR.

This is not a new situation. Why so many people were allowed enter teacher training courses when there was already an over-supply in most subjects is the question that should be asked.

Very well said. It is all about money for the universities: UCD's PGDE course this year has 238 students, all of whom are paying at least €6,500 per annum; non-EU citizens are paying over €13,000 per annum. At least, therefore, UCD is making €1.5million from this single course. If the government orders a cap on that, UCD is going to want direct government funding to compensate.
    No prizes for guessing which option the government chooses. It makes a mockery of the latter's claims that it wants to make education courses more useful to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 geffc

we lost our excellent PE teacher of 3 yrs and 3 other young staff..place is dreary now. Anyone looking for easy part time job gimme a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Advertisement