Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 garand not restricted?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Now that the amended SI is out, I want to confirm that I have read it all correctly as I am hoping to apply for an M1 licence.
    Am I right in thinking its not restriced?
    Calibre less then 308,
    Barrell length more then 60cm,
    Semi-Auto,
    Mag capacity 8,
    Doesnt look like an "assult rifle"

All good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Semi-Auto centre-fire rifles are restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nope dbar, the semi-auto bit puts it on the restricted list. Don't forget, there's a definition of "assault rifle" in the Restricted SI, and the Garand falls under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The Garand was never an"assault rifle".It could NEVER fire full auto.
    ANOTHER stupid bit in this legislation.A true "assault rifle" would be illegal anyway due to it's full auto capability.What we have here are semi automatic rifles with military features.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly, don't go confusing reality with Irish Law!
    There's the legal definition of "Assault rifle" in Ireland (and the seperate and different definitions in other jurisdictions) and then there's the actual military definition, and the twain don't meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Thats really annoying. I have always wanted an M1, but Im not willing to go the restricted route. On the up side, there is a possibility I might have to go to Switzerland for a long term contract for work, now theres a country with their firearms approach in order :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Grizzly, don't go confusing reality with Irish Law!

Very true Sparks...Must stop doing this ....;)..Ireland can be like an episode of Star Trek betimes.Exploring a strange new World.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

dbar wrote: »
    I have always wanted an M1, but Im not willing to go the restricted route.
    If you're just getting an M1, all the restricted status means is probably a safe you'd have bought anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If you're just getting an M1, all the restricted status means is probably a safe you'd have bought anyway.
    Except the added burden of persuading a Chief Superintendent that it's the only type of 'weapon' suitable for the purpose you require it for.

Well, there's that; but it's hard to think of another rifle you could enter an M1 Garand competition with, y'know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Well, there's that; but it's hard to think of another rifle you could enter an M1 Garand competition with, y'know?

Aha! Damn you're good, occasionally. :D

• Advertisement

/bites back "yore ma" jokes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I think the first part of definition of "assault rifles" in the SI is actually pretty close to what people who know what they're talking about mean when they use the term:
    “assault rifles” means—
    (a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic
    firearms,
    Note the presence of the word "and" in there.

Part (b) is bollix, in my opinion, and is a doctrinal 'EBR = bad, m'kay?' inclusion to make the handwringers and bedwetters feel better:
    (b) firearms that resemble such rifles;

What the M1 Garand does fall foul of, is clause (c)(i):
    (c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):
    (i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not
    exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length
    is greater than 90 centimetres,
    ...while clause (c)(ii) states:
    (ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms
    designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine
    having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,
    Note the presence of the term "semi-automatic" in the rim-fire clause and its absence in the centre-fire clause.

Rovi wrote: »
    I think the first part of definition of "assault rifles" in the SI is actually pretty close to what people who know what they're talking about mean when they use the term
    It's half-way there, but it's missing the "intermediate cartridge" bit.

It's half-way there, but it's missing the "intermediate cartridge" bit.
    Oh yeah!

Which the .30-06 most certainly isn't! :D

Damn skippy!
    How anyone ever fired the M1 on full auto I'll never know. (There were some experimental ones that were modified for full auto by Remington towards the end of the M1's life).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Clint uses one Does that make it bad?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Clint uses one Does that make it bad?
    Almost certainly, as 'Hollywood Ballistics' appears to be a major contributory factor to much of the policy and political posturing behind all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hmm the old Idonlikedelookofdat again, :rolleyes: along with pistol grip stocks and black furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

The M1 Garand is also available in .308 well the NATO 7.62 x 51. These where usually made by Breda or Beretta in Italy in the 50's.

You can have them as a straight pull varient with the addition of a McCann Industries Gas "Nut" regulator which will prevent the rifle operating in a semiautomatic function.

It's then just a .308 (7.62 x 51) or a 30-06 (7.62 x 63) straight pull rifle.
    I would then wonder if the law makers would class this as restricted due to its looks? All that wood and metal on a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have been reading some good books lately on WW 2, mainly on the men and how they managed to get through it etc, it wasnt unusual for GIs to "fiddle" with the Garand and make them auto. (Same way as they sometimes used captured German weapons)

BTW It was frowned on by the brass.

I fired an M1
    a. its heavy
    b. It kicks

Hate to fire it as a modified auto.

• Advertisement

Try an M14 then..:pac:
    The sucessor to the Garand in 308.It corrected the Garands most basic fault ,no box mag.It is heavy,kicks like a mule in FA,thussly making it wildy inaccruate,and the most unpouplar FA "battle rifle." [possibly next to the German G3] out there.
    CS is right about the fiddling by GIs .Mostly it amounted to "bump firing" rather than actual FA rework.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

rrpc wrote: »
    Except the added burden of persuading a Chief Superintendent that it's the only type of 'weapon' suitable for the purpose you require it for.

Well given the fact, that in a time limited competition, it allows you to maintain your point of aim and removes the need to manually rotate a bolt thus losing valuable time...I don't see how it would not be suitable for a specific purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I do have a safe already, as I have a swede Mauser and an air rifle. I Also have an alarm on the house, so I might get away with one restricted?

I know of at least one M1 in the country, I've shot it at the range. I love it.

The M1 has a big advantage over other semi-autos, from an accuracy point of view. The gas port is located right at the muzzle, so the bullet is gone before the mechanism starts to move, in effect all other things being equal, it should in theory be as accurate as a bolt action.

It sounds like you'd be fine dbar.

Advertisement