Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good resonable External hard drive?????

• 27-08-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hi guys i am looking to but an (Portable) external hard drive really like the look of the western digital passport sized ones, ideally i would need a 500gig, portable , neat, fast reading device and reasonable cheap say 70 euros max, would you no where is a good site to buy, could you offer anything outside of dabs, komplett and elara have already checked them........

cheers

con:pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i got a 1TB HDD (iomega) in peats a few weeks back for €79, not sure if its still in stock though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

add €20 to your budget and you can get the 500gb WD Passport from Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I highly recommend the Neso drives. Got a 500gb one from Amazon myself. Really compact and doesn't feel cheap to hold. Looks class too. Have mine formatted with FAT32 so I can watch stuff I've downloaded via my PS3. Very nice indeed.

Half thinking about getting a 2nd one at some point and using it for my media in my car. My car stereo has a very handy USB connection so this would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Bear in mind if its true portability you want then you're excluding any model with external power source.
    BTW +1 for the Iomega 1TB from peats, has an external pwr supply tho.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Bear in mind if its true portability you want then you're excluding any model with external power source.
    BTW +1 for the Iomega 1TB from peats, has an external pwr supply tho.

The NESO drives do not require an external PSU and work off of the power from the USB cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

TinCool wrote: »
    Half thinking about getting a 2nd one at some point and using it for my media in my car. My car stereo has a very handy USB connection so this would be ideal.

I would not use a hard drive in a moving car. It can take some knocks, but it will almost certainly shorten its life.

JDxtra wrote: »
    I would not use a hard drive in a moving car. It can take some knocks, but it will almost certainly shorten its life.

Fair point. I'll stick with my Ipod connection then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

unless you mount it very securely in the car or make a dock/holding unit then the drive heads will be damaged by movement after a short time.HDS dont like movements when the drive heads acess the platters.THERES some nice 250gb drives in peats /maplins fairly cheap ,no power unit needed.Peats sell 1,5tb 1500gig iomega drives around 160euro.THEY require a power supply to operate.

Advertisement