Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong @ MET eireann ?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭

Today (Thursday august 27) 12:00

Their forecast for wind today on their website is 16 km/h

I can tell you here in Ventry there is a storm with @ least force 7/8

When i see their forecasts lately ... It almost looks that they make it up as it happens.. Numerous occasions that they predicted rain and wind when actualy the sun was splitting rocks ... I know it’s a bit tricky with the Atlantic next door but c'mon. ....

Anyone else having the same issues? Or am I getting cookoo cause of this beautiful summer :eek::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

They haven't discovered M.T. yet!

They have this gale warning on their website but they didn't updated the change in weather - cutbacks?

Southwest to westerly gales will develop this afternoon and evening on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish Sea.
    Issued at 05:00 on 27-Aug-2009

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Joe Public wrote: »
    They haven't discovered M.T. yet!

you got that right :D;)

Yeah now i see they changed the wind from 16 km/h to 43 km/h @ noon ... We had gales all morning ...

Lucky we don't have any serious tornadoes here ... The only thing on their radar would be debris :P:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Met Eireann like many other meteorological organisations base their predictions on the weather models at the time (Hirlan, GFS, ECM, UKMO). These models are usually accurate and update regularly .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Try living in the northwest.

Most of the time you just get a generic mentioning (if at all) and if the northwest gets mentioned specifically in almost half the cases the opposite of what was predicted happens.

Plus there usually is quite a difference in weather between Galway and Letterkenny (for example) ...yet it all comes under "northwest"

I find the forecast very Dublin/east coast orientated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Their rainfall radar isn't updated. I checked the weather, it was supposed to be dry with the odd light shower. Then looked out the window and it started to lash heavy rain for about 15 minutes! Checked the animated radar, and it hasn't updated from yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

peasant wrote: »
    Try living in the northwest.

Most of the time you just get a generic mentioning (if at all) and if the northwest gets mentioned specifically in almost half the cases the opposite of what was predicted happens.

Plus there usually is quite a difference in weather between Galway and Letterkenny (for example) ...yet it all comes under "northwest"

I find the forecast very Dublin/east coast orientated

agree 100%

I live in Letterkenny and work outdoors. I would say that they give the northwest accurate forecasting about 30% of the time. Brutal.

Advertisement