Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ball Park figure for a clutch replacement?

• 27-08-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so feel free to move / delete as neccesary.

I have the following car:

Kia Rio 2005 FWD 1.3l 15,000 miles on it approx

and the clutch is on the point of going kaput. I don't want to get ripped off in replacing and fitting it, and have no idea how much these things should usually cost (I'm a car noob! :o). I understand that people won't be able to give me a 100% accurate and confirmed quote on how much the parts and labour for a clutch replacement should be. However, any ball park information that people could give me would be much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Lloyd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Are you sure the clutch is worn..15k is no milage ...:confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Your looking at around 200 for the clutch and then labour. Thsi depends on how easy the garage can get at clutch. I would ask how the clutch is gone after 15k miles? Someone being riding the clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My Mum is the only person driving it (I own it but have barely driven it). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Isn't the Rio a Front wheel drive?

I'll be back soon with a price - A friend is a mechanic for Kia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If you are in Dublin, try Walkinstown Clutch and Gearbox, found them to be very efficient and reasonable.

Don't leave it too long for it to be seen to or else you are going to have to add the cost of a tow truck as well to the bill.

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »
    Isn't the Rio a Front wheel drive?

I'll be back soon with a price - A friend is a mechanic for Kia

Yes it is, post edited. And thank you sir!!

trad wrote: »
    If you are in Dublin, try Walkinstown Clutch and Gearbox, found them to be very efficient and reasonable.

Don't leave it too long for it to be seen to or else you are going to have to add the cost of a tow truck as well to the bill.

Will they fit the clutch aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Will they fit the clutch aswell?

Yes, I arranged for a Caddy van to have the flywheel replaced, van left in at 11am ready for collection at 5pm
    http://www.walkinstownclutch.com/

I have no connection with the firm, just found them to be efficient and about €800 cheaper than a main VW dealer for the same job (flywheel and clutch replacement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Has it definitely been diagnosed as a clutch? A clutch should last a hell of a lot longer than 15k miles.

What are the symptoms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Onkle wrote: »
    A clutch should last a hell of a lot longer than 15k miles.

I highlighted the appropriate word... should is right...
    but I have seen people burn out clutches in under 50 miles... not a pleasant smell I can tell you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

robtri wrote: »
    I highlighted the appropriate word... should is right...
    but I have seen people burn out clutches in under 50 miles... not a pleasant smell I can tell you...

I know that but it's very uncommon. That's why I asked about the symptoms.

I'm not actually sure if there is a worse smell than burning clutch :p

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the clutch is most definitely the issue. My mother passed her test a couple of months ago at the fourth attempt. She will freely admit that she is not the most competent driver, and has been giving the unfortunate clutch a very tough time.

Though she has assured me that, upon replacement, the new clutch should last "30k miles at least". :rolleyes: Ah well, what can I do? :)

Thanks to everyone for their responses, very helpful. Good to have a mental marker for when I start ringing around to arrange the completion of the work.

Cheers,

Lloyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I can confirm that the clutch is most definitely the issue. My mother passed her test a couple of months ago at the fourth attempt. She will freely admit that she is not the most competent driver, and has been giving the unfortunate clutch a very tough time.

Though she has assured me that, upon replacement, the new clutch should last "30k miles at least". :rolleyes: Ah well, what can I do? :)

Thanks to everyone for their responses, very helpful. Good to have a mental marker for when I start ringing around to arrange the completion of the work.

Cheers,

Lloyd.

Jeez, I think a strong spring is required here....one end connected to your mum`s left knee and the other end connected to her left shoulder!!:)

Advertisement