Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance Question - UK Reg car

• 27-08-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hiya

I'm just about to start a third level course in Ireland for about ten months, then probably returning to N.I. once completed. I've an insurance quote from Quinn for my NI registered car, but it seems a bit high. I heard somewhere that at least one other insurance company in RoI offers to insure UK reg vehicles......anyone any idea which company? (My current NI insurer won't insure for the full length of my course unfortunately)

Cheers! :)

Comments

FBD will also insure UK regs and I was insured with Axa for a while also with a UK reg but only for about 2 months or a bit less so I dont know if they will cover you for 8 months. Axa also have a student policy which for me was over 100 euro cheaper than the next best and 300 cheaper than 3rd party with Quinn and I'm fully comp with axa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Be careful that your NI motor tax doesn't expire during this period. You may have to produce insurance details to renew it and the ROI insurance might not do (not sure about this). If you go back to NI or even on a visit then they can clamp you for having no motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Thanks Nox.....will follow up with those companies today.

Aye, yr right about not being able to renew NI car tax with RoI insurance
    but intend to declare SORN for the year :)

Thanks guys! Where would we be without boards.ie eh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

you could also try giving these guys a call(they dont have a website).Their a broker and would def be able to sort ya out.http://www.leitrim.ie/business/busdetails1.asp?id=296

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Max001 wrote: »
    Thanks Nox.....will follow up with those companies today.

Aye, yr right about not being able to renew NI car tax with RoI insurance
    but intend to declare SORN for the year :)

Thanks guys! Where would we be without boards.ie eh! :D
    Do you have to hand in your tax disc for the car to be properly SORN'd? If so, and you're driving around with a correctly registered and insured UK car but no valid UK tax disc, you may run into problems with customs. For the pittance that UK motor tax is, I'd advise you to pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Also do you not expect to be driving the car back to the North on visits, at Christmas etc?

Advertisement