Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Students' Union & Abortion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

So the welfare officers are receiving their "training" from the IFPA? That's a joke.

I'll be posting details on how to withdraw from the Students' Union and save €8 from your invoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Given the catholic ethos of CURA, some students obviously wouldn't feel comfortable going to them for advice. Given that it's name includes the word catholic and that it's policies are dictated by the church it's not a stretch to conclude that its a service geared towards Catholics. Given that Trinity SU is meant to represent all students and advice them equally, it makes sense that they wouldn't davertise one specifically targeting catholics. That said I would certainly hope a catholic student looking for a specifically catholic organistion was adviced of the CURA option.

My own opinion is that they're a dodgy shower of bastards and I wouldn't advise anyone to go to them. Their entire "stories" section is fiction and the blurred images are clearly the same models used through out the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

You're not wrong Boston; either 'Kevin' (http://www.cura.ie/stories_kevin.htm), whose tale is full of woe, has been betrayed by CURA by having his image posted elsewhere on the site (http://www.cura.ie/services_direct_pregnancy_fathers.htm), or he's a total figment of imagination.

Either way, I'd avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Juxta Dublin

You're not wrong Boston; either 'Kevin' (http://www.cura.ie/stories_kevin.htm), whose tale is full of woe, has been betrayed by CURA by having his image posted elsewhere on the site (http://www.cura.ie/services_direct_pregnancy_fathers.htm), or he's a total figment of imagination.

Either way, I'd avoid.

How Brilliant is that? :D

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cantab. wrote: »
    All the above equally apply to CURA. Why isn't their number listed?
    Because rampant, abhorrent and overt psychological abuse isn't something you should put anyone through, let alone someone with an unplanned pregnancy?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Because rampant, abhorrent and overt psychological abuse isn't something you should put anyone through, let alone someone with an unplanned pregnancy?

Do you have evidence for that assertion?

Yeah Cantab, personal experience.

Yeah Cantab, personal experience.

i.e. hearsay.

I take the welfare officer has no qualms about sending Catholic students down to the arse end of O'Connell Street then?

There's a wee gap between "personal experience" and "hearsay" cantab.

i.e. hearsay.

I take the welfare officer has no qualms about sending Catholic students down to the arse end of O'Connell Street then?

How catholic can they be if they're getting knocked up outside of marriage. I'm sorry but you're onto a looser if you're suggesting the welfare officers should take into account the girls catholic sensibilities.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    How catholic can they be if they're getting knocked up outside of marriage.
    Catholics are immune to rohypnol now?!

Women of virtue wouldn't be going to bars.

In all seriousness, Males or females who've been raped should go to the Dublin rape crisis center located at 70 Lower Leeson Street

The least the SU could do is to pass Catholic girls over to Fr Gleeson or Fr Dunne. Or post their phone numbers on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭jingx3

Boston wrote: »
    In all seriousness, Males or females who've been raped should go to the Dublin rape crisis center located at 70 Lower Leeson Street

Do you know where one should go if they were almost raped? Any help would be appreciated.

What exactly do you think the welfares officers position is? It's not for him to pass anyone over to anybody. If a catholic student asks to be put in contact with catholic resources, the welfare officer should facilitate that. It shouldn't be a case of "oh, you're catholic, off to the priest with yea".
    jingx3 wrote: »
    Do you know where one should go if they were almost raped? Any help would be appreciated.

Same place. The helpline is 1 800 778 888.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

jingx3 wrote: »

Dublin Rape Crisis Centre will also help here, and give good advice.

edit: huh, how did i not notice you already posted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

I'll be posting details on how to withdraw from the Students' Union and save €8 from your invoice.

Just to nip this little argument in the bud. There are several ways of not paying the €8 levy but there is no way of removing yourself from the Students' Union. This argument has been played out and found to be impossible. When the new SU constitution was being written it was investigated (so as to provide an out to those who don't want to be part of it) and it simply is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just to nip this little argument in the bud. There are several ways of not paying the €8 levy but there is no way of removing yourself from the Students' Union. This argument has been played out and found to be impossible. When the new SU constitution was being written it was investigated (so as to provide an out to those who don't want to be part of it) and it simply is not possible.

So in short the only way for him to withdraw from the union is for him to leave this college he never stops whining about?

Simple choice really.:)

A bit like being baptised then eh?

A bit like being baptised then eh?
    Nope. You can leave the catholic church whenever you wish - www.countmeout.ie even puts the forms together for you easily.

Alternatively, you can get excommunicated for a variety of fun things, such as this:
    71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

(violence against a prelate gets you interdicted - effective excommunication - for actual excommunication you need to kick the pope in the arse, but that's more difficult to arrange)

Alternatively, throw away the host (or take it home and spread marmite on it and use it as a cheese cracker); if you're a woman, pretend to be a priest.

Or, of course, you could be a nine year old girl who's raped by her stepfather and made pregnant and have the pregnancy terminated because trying to take it to term would be fatal - that gets you a mandatory excommunication as well.

(Point is, you can leave the Catholic Church a lot more easily than you can leave the Students Union)

• Advertisement

(Point is, you can leave the Catholic Church a lot more easily than you can leave the Students Union)

Signing your name to some website does not get you unbaptised.

Also, your commentary is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Juxta Dublin

It's not actually signing a name on a website. It is a letter sent to the bishop of the individual's Diocese. Nevertheless, I think you are correct, AFAIK the Church will remove you from their internal lists etc. but one can never be unbaptised.

No, signing your name on that website gives you a pdf file comprising a letter to the appropriate bishop telling him you want to be expunged from the catholic church's records.

As to being "unbaptised", true, there isn't such a ritual. But then, I could shoot the pope and defile his corpse and they couldn't un-baptise me either, so it really doesn't make much of a difference, does it? Your name taken off the church records (and a record made of your rejecting the church) is completely equivalent in results-oriented terms.
    But utterly true, as reported by Time magazine, and again when the Pope confirmed the Archbishop had acted correctly in excommunicating the nine-year-old in question.

Somehow I think we've drifted off-topic, by the way...

But utterly true, as reported by Time magazine, and again when the Pope confirmed the Archbishop had acted correctly in excommunicating the nine-year-old in question.

Somehow I think we've drifted off-topic, by the way...

Funny how pro-abortionists like yourself like to focus in on the extreme cases, when the reality is that most abortions are for "contraceptive" purposes.

Funny how folks like you think you know what other folks think when you haven't a blessed clue.

Or at least, it would be funny, if it didn't hurt so many people so badly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Funny how pro-abortionists like yourself like to focus in on the extreme cases, when the reality is that most abortions are for "contraceptive" purposes.

I don't think anyone is "pro-abortion".

Or at least, it would be funny, if it didn't hurt so many people so badly...

I take it you are referring to all the babies who find themselves at the bottom of vacuum cleaners?

Yes. Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Except on tuesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Why wouldn't the SU provide info on abortion? That doesn't make them pro-abortion, it makes them pretty neutral if they provide information on all possibilities. They're only be pro-abortion if they refused to provide info on adoption/keeping the baby and only pushed abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Mark200 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is "pro-abortion".

I think we can all make the exception in Cantab.'s case ;)

Seriously, what's your problem? You start this thread with a wild, unfounded claim that the SU will fund an abortion, give out that they shouldn't be 'peddling' abortions by giving out info that anyone could find online in 2 minutes, and finally, you're raging that they're talking to Catholics instead of chasing them off to Father for a wee confession session and a fine bit of judgement. I've deduced that you're either a hordcore conservative Catholic, a total idiot, or a troll. I suspect the latter, because I don't think that anybody could be that stupid.

Nowhere in this thread have you come close to puting forward a valid or well formed argument. I feel stupider just typing this response.

Advertisement