Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Students' Union & Abortion

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

As far as anybody credible can say, it is as far as they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

Abortion is not legal in the iseland of Ireland thanks to Catholic church that does not respect either men, nor women. So SU has no say officially. Although it's not to say that abortion is not possible, plus it is legal in UK where irish women go to the deeds. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Apparently it's all the rage to go to Amsterdam to get one, cheaper flights or something.

Or maybe people just fancy a post abortion spliff, who knows.

Anyway, were I a girl, I doubt I would want to involve the SU in my unwanted pregnancy (the student health service, however, would probably do a very good job about advising a girl of their options).

No offense to the elected officials, but I'd be too paranoid that they'd giggle about the weird students they get to their yuppie friends, and it'd get around the college and possibly to my own friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

Jimdw wrote: »
    Abortion is not legal in the iseland of Ireland thanks to Catholic church

The Catholic church doesn't make government legislation.
    Catholic church does not respect either men, nor women.

This is a vague, ambiguous and totally wrong and incorrect statement. It's so ridiculous there is no point going into further detail.
    So SU has no say officially.

Thank you for pointing out that the SU is not above the law of the land nor can it make/change law.
    Although it's not to say that abortion is not possible,

Abortion as a procedure has been in existance for millenia.
    plus it is legal in UK where irish women go to the deeds. lol

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

oogyoop wrote: »
    Quite shocked that this is the case. It's waaaay beyond their remit. Referral to a crisis pregnancy service should be as far as they go.

Going above and beyond the call of duty is something rare that I don't think the SU can be faulted on, in those unusual circumstances where they take it upon themselves to actually do it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement