Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Process Priority

Options
  • 27-08-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm running windows server 2003. and i have to install applications as part of my job, these applications use java processes for their install.

what i want to know is this (if anyone can help :p)

if i go to the windows task manager, and right click and set the process priority to "real-time" will it actually increase the performance of it, will it reduce the time it takes to do the install say from 3 hours to 2 hours.

and if i was to do the same thing with other java processes which are running on the machine on a daily basis, would they give a performance increase if i did this?

or am i just wasting my time?

thanks very much for any help and advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

You are wasting your time. All it does is prioritise some tasks over others, the total time to execute everything remains the same. Priority changing is only useful if you have an application which you want to run in the background long-term, yet want other realtime applications to have priority over.

e.g. SETI@home, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 boars.ie

I don't grasp it, why to post and wait for ages instead of
    just to conduct the experiment and know answer straight away?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

boars.ie wrote: »
    I don't grasp it, why to post and wait for ages instead of
    just to conduct the experiment and know answer straight away?

I was only 28 minutes, you must be quiet the impatient fellow. :)

If there is pretty much no other user processes running which is likely during a install, then priority won't have much effect.

Advertisement