Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

diet feeders-tub or paddle

• 27-08-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

thinking of 2nd hand feeder for suckler herd and sheep flock. mixing silage straw and meals.any info. on different models ,hp needed,quality of mix etc. especially for in-lamb ewes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭rooney32

the paddle feeder give a more even mix and are a simpier feeder but you need to break up bales before adding. keenans have a refurb sale a few times a year machines are given a once over in the factory before selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mooverlive

dont know anything about feeding sheep but my tupence worth, i bought a tarup 612 horizontal auger feeder last year brillant machine to chop anything including beet . low horse power requirment 3 loads in about 70 minutes , paddle is very slow and takes a lot of time to chop main supplier in country will tell u different , tub is a good job but requires alot of hp at least 120 even at that tractor will growl when getting ful hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 collieo9

thanks rooney32 and mooverlive.are the auger feeders good to chop straw.are there any 2nd hand augers around.how does the taarup 612 compare with the tub.its mosly pit silage i use so i cant really rule out paddle.thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

collieo9 wrote: »
    thinking of 2nd hand feeder for suckler herd and sheep flock. mixing silage straw and meals.any info. on different models ,hp needed,quality of mix etc. especially for in-lamb ewes

Ive had a keenan 100 paddle mixer for 23 years, cant recommend it highly enough, its had 2 sets of liners and a new guillotine door, and2 bearings, and a new weighbox in that time its a simple, bullet proof system, its used almost all year round with buffer feeding to cows in the summer, and in the winter it mixes 30 tonnes a day, plus you have keenan nutrician, they can recommend feed plans etc, as a company they are excellent to deal with extremely helpful. power requirement isnt an issue either, we have had the same massey 698 running it all that time, it has no trouble engaging with a full load, i wouldnt dream of any other machine.

the tarup is very good at chopping straw beet bales nothing to beat outthere, as for keenan all u are getting is the nutricional package , friend manages a farm they bought a keenan takes all day to chop straw and if theres stones it breaks knifes at 36 plus vat a pop. they fill with straw in the morning go to breakfast and come back an hour later dump out straw and use accordingly takes all day to feed 180 cows so think carefully ,i know a guy who picked up a refurbished one in uk for 11k excellant condition . as for tub u need 120 horse power to drive them 80 or 90 hp will drive them but u wont b able to start pto when full

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cwlad

mooverlive wrote: »
    the tarup is very good at chopping straw beet bales nothing to beat outthere, as for keenan all u are getting is the nutricional package , friend manages a farm they bought a keenan takes all day to chop straw and if theres stones it breaks knifes at 36 plus vat a pop. they fill with straw in the morning go to breakfast and come back an hour later dump out straw and use accordingly takes all day to feed 180 cows so think carefully ,i know a guy who picked up a refurbished one in uk for 11k excellant condition . as for tub u need 120 horse power to drive them 80 or 90 hp will drive them but u wont b able to start pto when full
    thats rubbish iv a 10 cubic metre abbey tub feeder and 60 hp is driving it no problem. starts no problem even when full.. best machine on the market.. all most zero maintenace..grease the pto and door slides once a month.. chops beet too, 6 tons of beet we chop every second day.. very few if any wearing parts other than the knives which we have nt had to purchase yet after 2 seasons.. never even had to put a shearbolt in it yet even with the beet and there was stones through it.. go to your local abbey dealer and get a demo for yourself you wont be disappointed!!!

.should have said , 14 cubic had hi spec and stoll on trial hard machines to drive . mate has abbey had 188 on it could not overfill it and defo would not start when full its a 12 with greedy boards there the facts m8. not disputing how good or bad the machines are , as for beet u must chop it seperately which is ok if u using a good lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

cwlad wrote: »
    thats rubbish iv a 10 cubic metre abbey tub feeder and 60 hp is driving it no problem. starts no problem even when full.. best machine on the market.. all most zero maintenace..grease the pto and door slides once a month.. chops beet too, 6 tons of beet we chop every second day.. very few if any wearing parts other than the knives which we have nt had to purchase yet after 2 seasons.. never even had to put a shearbolt in it yet even with the beet and there was stones through it.. go to your local abbey dealer and get a demo for yourself you wont be disappointed!!!

will that abbey machine chop bales of silage and what kind of money can they be picked up for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have a taarup 853 chopper wagon, get 2 bales of silage into her and she will chop and blow out as you drive thru passage, will do straw also if you wanted to bed a big shed, very good machine now, drawback is of course if wont mix, that abbey tub feeder sounds like a good job now

have a taarup 853 chopper wagon, get 2 bales of silage into her and she will chop and blow out as you drive thru passage, will do straw also if you wanted to bed a big shed, very good machine now, drawback is of course if wont mix, that abbey tub feeder sounds like a good job now

how much is that taarupe machine , looking for something that will stop cows from pulling in baled silage , thought about a teagel tommoahawk but im told thier no use

• Advertisement

irish_bob wrote: »
    how much is that taarupe machine , looking for something that will stop cows from pulling in baled silage , thought about a teagel tommoahawk but im told thier no use

i bought it about 3 winters ago, it was a kverneland demo machine, spotless, they brought it to my place and ran it for me, was impressed anyway so had to cough up 14k for it, at the time I was more interested in a smaller one that would take 1 bale and fitted to tractor linkage..glad i went with this model though

is the 853 a chopper more than a feeder , my 612 is 14 cubic carries about 4to 5 ton will mix and chop anything was a demo cost 25k

well I reckon the 853 and similar type machines would have been for chopping straw originally but must have modified for silage, here is link to page, when I got it I priced a french product Lucas i think it was, fancier machine than the taarup and you could turn the spoout back into chamber so sales guy reckoned you could mix silage and straw that way..it was crazy money though as i recall
    http://www.kverneland.com/irj/portal/anonymous?NavigationTarget=ROLES://portal_content/KVG/com.kverneland.www/www.group.roles/KVG.com.kverneland.www.www.group.roles.guest/www.ien_kve_enduser_bpfwe&navChange=/Intranet/Internet/ien_kve/Home/Feeding%20Equipment/Bale%20Choppers%20_%20Feeders/Bale%20Choppers.doc

easy know its pissing out there today we all on here, what kinda of money is the 853

not sure what they are new but I paid 14 for my demo one about 3 years ago

theyre gonna b working early this year will have to house cows this evening total wash out

yep, its depressing to be feeding bales already, what price will fodder be in a few months time if it stays like this, id say lads will be doing some serious cutting back on cattle numbers

heard vets are very busy doing full herd tests back west guys getting ready to off load cows and cattle, these dont have enough fodder bales making 25 euro freely collected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cwlad

yeah dats true about the beet you chop it seperately and you would need around 3 tones so dat the weight of beet on top keeps the beet on the bottom down on the knives.. we do aload of beet every second day.. but im not tryin to cod any one about the horsepower unless someone has screwed up my 584 international hahaha.. depending on spec dat time you were looking around 20 k.. but specing the machine can make the machine cheaper by thousands E.G second door cub be a few thousand!!
    irish bob the abbey will chop bales to mush if left in too long.. we know roughly with ours dat it takes 10 to 12 mins to chop an mix to a nice lenght

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi
    I have a Hi Spec v12 for the last 3 years. Mostly bales and am very happy with it.

• Advertisement

thetangler wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a Hi Spec v12 for the last 3 years. Mostly bales and am very happy with it.

do you mnd me asking how much it cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

Abbey VF 1250 21,000 inc beet knives, wide angle pto and top ring
    Abbey VF 1450 22,000 exc beet knives, wide angle pto and top ring

abbey feeders can start if you stop them on a 7610 only if you dont go for a spin for a few miles with them- - load packs, also depends what your feeding...fluffy dry mix = easy to drive. abbey 1250 takes 80hp and 1450 takes 15 horse power more we were told

strautmann are a good make but geared different than abbey, mix faster but cant start if you cut it off unless u have a strong taracóir.

i believe your only buying a nutritional package with keenan and they are over rated, most co ops and feed milling companies will now make out a mix for you anyway. tub feeders got a bad name when they came out first as they could mix wet feeds as they were mosty used in europe and keenan then came in with paddle. abbey does give a good mix, but keenan reps will tell you the ration will come out at the start of the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Keenan reps will tell you anything to get you to buy a keenan

* feeder X will let out all the ration start of the mix
    * feeder Y will "over process" the mix
    * feeder Z needs more hp than keenan
    * only keenan can provide a nutritional service

I bought a Feed-all tub feeder 7 years ago , would have bought a keenan except I needed to feed to both sides at once in a narrow dead end passage way . Keenan would hardly fit in and knocking out end wall was not an option .

* Keenan rep suggested I empty load at door & push it in with loader :confused:

Glad I went with the tub , 2 loads a day for 7 winters and never took a spanner to it until now ( broke first blade last week , dont know how )
    Was running on Fiat 80-90 for first 5 years ,no problem chopping anything , Could start full , just ! Might have to open doors to take pressure off for first few seconds

Everything the Keenan reps told me I found to be the opposite in fact .
    Not a fan of their sales tactics

europlant or something in monaghan are making tub diet feeders ( handle bales ) and selling them aswell , i called in one day a few months ago , impressed with what i saw , 16 to 18 k depending on size , they looked very robust and well built and compared to the competition , well priced

forgot to mention conor cv12000 (which is actually 10.5 cubic meter on the book) is around 17,000, doors on them dont seal right and if feeding grain it comes out, what youd save youd be loosing in ration i thought

i saw them eurofeeders at the ploughing, not a bad price but like to know how the materials compare with abbey or strautmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bog_savage wrote: »
    * Keenan rep suggested I empty load at door & push it in with loader :confused:

FFS

a wonder he did not try to sell you a wheel barrow as well!

John_F wrote: »
    forgot to mention conor cv12000 (which is actually 10.5 cubic meter on the book) is around 17,000, doors on them dont seal right and if feeding grain it comes out, what youd save youd be loosing in ration i thought

i saw them eurofeeders at the ploughing, not a bad price but like to know how the materials compare with abbey or strautmann

extremley robust and strongly built , i know strautman are good but abbey always made stuff on the light side

as for connor , i wouldnt rate anything they make that high , would rate cross even lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

irish_bob wrote: »
    as for connor , i wouldnt rate anything they make that high , would rate cross even lower

Have you had bad experiences with their stuff before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Tail painter

Anyone know about horizontal auger feeders. Kverneland 612 for sale near me. Heard that stones can jam them up. Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 planning

We also had Keenans out. We didn't buy from them they were too expensive and we didn't like the fact they can only feed from one side also I was told they take to long to mix. We bought a 2005 1450 strautmann after. Very fast to mix and can hold allot of feed.

planning wrote: »
    We also had Keenans out. We didn't buy from them they were too expensive and we didn't like the fact they can only feed from one side also I was told they take to long to mix. We bought a 2005 1450 strautmann after. Very fast to mix and can hold allot of feed.

ohhh a 1450 would be big alright, strautmann measure different to everyone else we were told they measure without the augar in it, they said 10.5cu m strautmann is the same as a 12.5cu m abbey or any other make

planning wrote: »

We have a Keenan 100 for 20 years. Mixes very quickly and is reliable so long as you dont use very dry silage or bales. Only feeding on one side is also a problem. I am planning on using a lot of baled silage so need a feeder to handle them. Is the strautmann a tub or a horizontal auger? any issue with stones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Charles747

Hi i just built a slatted shed this year and need advice on what would be the best diet feeder to buy.

Depends on what type of feed you are using. If using bales you need to chop them or cattle will pull silage in on slats. You then end up with silage in the tanks which clogs up agitators and tankers. I bought a 15 cubic metre agriplant europe tub feeder last winter. Strong machine and chops well but needs at least 120hp if using bales. Can take 6 bales of silage. Feedout is slower and more uneven than a paddle but feeds both sides which suits my sheds.

Advertisement