Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Sports TV Subscription's

• 27-08-2009 1:43pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am curious as to how many people have ESPN and have held onto Setanta.I will stick up a poll.

What Subscription's do you have..? 109 votes

Sky
    0%
    Setanta
    56%
    NemesisSickBoyPHBDont be at yourselfBounty HunterMossy MonkrovingrovergimmicksharkmaneirebhoySuprSilordgoatIagoTom65Dub13cruiserweightUnearthlyHeadshotmayordenisChardee MacDennis 62 votes
    Espn
    15%
    SeanehDub13mayordenisChardee MacDennisMr MagnoliaMushyOPENROADSizzlerBrewsterMr AlansternnSK1979groomekshiibataHarpyDmanDmythDledgeEire-Dearg 17 votes
    Just the testerial stations (BBC/RTE)
    27%
    SickBoyMossy MonkeirebhoylordgoatIagocruiserweightUnearthlyHeadshotmayordenisA Dub in GlasgoKarmafaeriedor83Mr MagnoliaeZe^crosstownkOPENROADmirwillbebackCarroller16BrewsterMr Alan 30 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can't afford it in the current economic climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll never hand over cash to watch footie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Setanta
    Sky for now, mainly for the La Liga and Champions League coverage. I might get ESPN as well, seems to have some very good stuff there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Setanta
    Only have Sky. was thinking about getting ESPN, but will prob go for a Sky HD sub instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Have them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv sky sports and ESPN

probably going to get rid of ESPN

just look at this http://www.livesportontv.com/football/

fu'ck all on ESPN

I call it the Dave of the sports world,just bloody repeats after repeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Terrestrial stations only, I watch streams or pop into the local if theres a big game. Partly do this because I despise NTL and never want to give them a penny again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

flahavaj wrote: »
    Terrestrial stations only, I watch streams or pop into the local if theres a big game. Partly do this because I despise NTL and never want to give them a penny again.

Yep, I wouldn't give money to that fúcking cúntbag of a company.

Arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Setanta
    The Milan derby, Juve - Roma, Bayern - Wolfsburg and Chelsea - Burnley are all on ESPN. Not a bad week's football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i have sky and setanta and will be ordering espn in the next couple of days..expensive stuff having them all..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

None at the moment but after about two years of robbing them I may have to get them in soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Setanta
    Just sky for me... cancelled setanta a while back because twas waay too expensive. Not getting ESPN in though.

I cant believe setanta are still asking for €16.99

:rolleyes:

edit

also ESPN picture is crap too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Setanta
    also ESPN picture is crap too

Depends on the game, but they get all of their Premiership footage straight from the same cameras Sky use.

Depends on the game, but they get all of their Premiership footage straight from the same cameras Sky use.

idk about that mate

iirc i switched between an EPL match on ESPN and championship match on sky

sky was way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its about data-streams, not cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Have them all.

Ditto.

We've always had Sky, but got rid of most of the other packages (Movies, Music) to cut down on price.

Decided to keep Setanta for another three months as I got €6.99 off the monthly price for the next three months. Will probably get them out after that.

And ESPN, definately had to get them for all their football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Setanta
    We have Sky Sports but I usually go to the pub to watch the matches as I usually watch what's on Setanta too e.g Liverpool match on Setanta and then United match on Sky afterwards on Saturday.
    We use Sky at home to watch the golf...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

ESPN is worth the €12 a month. Their standard of EPL games are way better than Setanta ever had which is basically crap team after the other playing Liverpool/Utd..

http://www.espn.co.uk/sports-on-espn/barclays-premier-league-fixtures/

They have Serie A as well. This weekend its the Milan derby on Saturday and Roma-Juventus on Sunday.

They also have the German League and SPL. The other football is dodge like Portuguese, Russian, Dutch and MLS. Also UFC if youre into it.

That said you can basically forget about the channel during the week as its rubbish, repeat after repeat or some Tyson or Ali fight.

The picture quality isnt as good as Sky alright though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Used to have the full whack Sky+ HD sub at 80 odd quid a month with Sky Sports, no setanta.

Now have pared sky back, got rid of movies, sports, and HD, and have a 30 quid sub.

Football confined to houses of people I know with sports subs or around to the pub. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Warper wrote: »
    ESPN is worth the €12 a month. Their standard of EPL games are way better than Setanta ever had which is basically crap team after the other playing Liverpool/Utd..

They have Serie A as well. This weekend its the Milan derby on Saturday and Roma-Juventus on Sunday.

They also have the German League and SPL. The other football is dodge like Portuguese, Russian, Dutch and MLS. Also UFC if youre into it.

That said you can basically forget about the channel during the week as its rubbish, repeat after repeat or some Tyson or Ali fight.

Do they have football from other countries in HD as well then, or just Premier League?

Yeah, I think all their live coverage is on HD.

Never seen a Portuguese or Russian game live on it
    only 1 dutch game so far too

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Yeah, I think all their live coverage is on HD.

no

not proper HD

EPL matches will be HD alright but the other stuff arent

just upscaled picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Their standard of EPL games are way better than Setanta ever had which is basically crap team after the other playing Liverpool/Utd..

ESPN have the exact same packages that Setanta had last year (with the exception of 3pm games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Des wrote: »
    Yep, I wouldn't give money to that fúcking cúntbag of a company.

Arseholes.

Wll luckily for you there is no NTL and hasn't been for over 3 years now.;)

AS for the channels.
    I have Sky and ESPN.
    Got rid of Setanta when they lost the UFC.
    May get it back for the Magners League.

Headshot wrote: »

I havn't either - just replays though im not too bothered about them really.

I've seen a couple of Russian games on Live, didn't watch them though. And there's been a few Dutch games, one each week since the season kicked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is there any channel that does regular live Dutch games? Seeing as they're usually early morning kick-offs they don't usually clash with the other leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Meh, NTL,UPC, same shower, different name. I understand UPC's customer service is slightly improved but I'm not prepared to risk the heartbreak again after the absolute blaggardin I've gotten from NTL over the years.

8-10 wrote: »
    Is there any channel that does regular live Dutch games? Seeing as they're usually early morning kick-offs they don't usually clash with the other leagues.

Setanta used to show them regularly. I expect ESPN will also so slong as they are not showing a lunchtime Sunday game like this weekend.

Meh, NTL,UPC, same shower, different name. I understand UPC's customer service is slightly improved but I'm not prepared to risk the heartbreak again after the absolute blaggardin I've gotten from NTL over the years.

Trust me they havn't - worst customer service of all time. They are the reason I swapped to Sky.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of Russian games on Live, didn't watch them though. And there's been a few Dutch games, one each week since the season kicked off.

never seen a Russian game live and only 1 Dutch game

that dutch game was the psv v AJax

the ones youve must of seen were repeats I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

ESPN is only a weekend channel. If I hadn't got HD, I would have ditched the sub by now due to the quality of the picture. I had to laugh at the comment in relation to it being "Dave Sports":D....it's so true at the moment. Hopefully the coverage improves when all the leagues get into full swing....And they also need to broadcast on a proper channel with a sufficient bit-rate so a regular subscriber can make out the players in SD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Sky Sports and ESPN in HD:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Signed up for ESPN to go with my Sky package. Living in the UK so I do not have any option on Setanta, but I would have kept it over the summer to watch GAA given the option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Signed up for ESPN to go with my Sky package. Living in the UK so I do not have any option on Setanta, but I would have kept it over the summer to watch GAA given the option

The GAA has been on sky channel 167 from Setanta just lifting the RTE picture but making it bad somehow

I have Sky and ESPN found nothing wrong with ESPN's picture its 10 times better than anything Setanta offered and it has not gone off air during a match like Setanta used to do if there was rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

The GAA has been on sky channel 167 from Setanta just lifting the RTE picture but making it bad somehow

Yeah have seen that in the last few weeks, thanks.

I am finding having no half time discussion for a lot of the ESPN games a little weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

ive got sky and espn , think espn is great , ufc on it premier league , and you dont have to pay and extra 3 euro for each box its just 12 a month unlike crappy setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have Sky + ESPN.

MLS, Eiredivision, Bundesliga, Serie A games have all been pretty good so far on ESPN. Haven't seen anything of the Portuguese Liga or Russian League. Haven't had any problems with the quality of the ESPN picture bar one of the Dutch games. Pretty happy with it so far.

• Advertisement

never seen a Russian game live and only 1 Dutch game

that dutch game was the psv v AJax

the ones youve must of seen were repeats I think

They've played four GWs already, there was definately another game on one week at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

As a student in a student house we have sky but no one else wants to go in for the sports package with me so unless I can find a job in this recession ridden land then I'm stuck with the bog standard.

If I do find a job then it's sky sports all the way. Used to have setanta at home and got sick of the loss of signal just before a goal. Never experienced ESPN but with their varied sports I wouldn't mind getting that as well as sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sky Sports, Digi Sports, Nova Sport, STV Sports, Eurosport Hungary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Trust me they havn't - worst customer service of all time. They are the reason I swapped to Sky.

Funny, that's the exapct opposit of me.

I left Sky for UPC due to the appauling customer service I recieved off of them.

The idea of, after making a dozen calls, having to wait 2 weeks and pay €100 for a tech to call out and fix the service that they never installed properly and never worked didn't appeal to me.

I am finding having no half time discussion for a lot of the ESPN games a little weird

It's refreshing to not have someone try and tell you what to think of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

No option for BT broadband? That's who I pay to watch all my football!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Sky Sports and ESPN in HD:)

Yep - love it! The 5.1 digital audio gives me the whole "I'm at Anfield" buzz in my living room!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just subscribed to ESPN on Freesat for £10 per month. I got rid of my Sky TV subscription about 10 months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Don't need any of the pay stations, I actually go to football matches and get my fix that way.

Question for everyone really. Regarding the Setanta / ESPN thing. ESPN are showing Prem football this season, do Setanta still show it? I thought they lost it no?

I see some have all of them, which I have to be honest baffles me. Why in the fcuk would anyone want Sky, Setanta and ESPN. There is an outside world, there is football that gets played infront of you, in real life out there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

iregk wrote: »
    Don't need any of the pay stations, I actually go to football matches and get my fix that way.

Question for everyone really. Regarding the Setanta / ESPN thing. ESPN are showing Prem football this season, do Setanta still show it? I thought they lost it no?

I see some have all of them, which I have to be honest baffles me. Why in the fcuk would anyone want Sky, Setanta and ESPN. There is an outside world, there is football that gets played infront of you, in real life out there!!!

They have lost the rights to show the matches in England. In Ireland however they can show (i think it is the 3rd or 2nd choice match) on saturday at 3pm.

So in England they have Sky/ ESPN, over here we got Sky/ ESPN/ Setanta

• Advertisement
Advertisement