Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need broadband in college accomodation.

Options
  • 27-08-2009 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hi there
    im moving to letterkenny in donegal in a week, and want to get broadband for xbox360 gaming.

im moving into an apartment block that doesnt allow satellite's etc to be installed and no phone line's either.
    however, there is broadband there from the college but i doubt its going to be fast enough for gaming.

so, what options do i have?
    any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

College broadband normally block all games, p2p, etc, so that's going to be useless. Eve nif they didn't, the shared nature of it means that gaming would be next to impossible anyway.

No dishes, aerials, phone lines, pretty much means no broadband. You're out of options, I'd say, other than move to a different location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Usually the college accom,Campus apartments are wired into the school fibre and is quick enough,Very quick infact,But as said they block alot of things..

as Jor el said you're pretty much restricted,Irish broadband do those little boxes as do clearwire both a slightly better version of mobile broadband but not sure on pings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TurkeyBurger

Once you are registered and have your student card, you'll be eligible for this deal from HEAnet and O2.

You might want to check out the coverage in Letterkenny first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok thanks for the info. does anyone use heanet and o2? and do you use an xbox360 on it?

im not bothered about cost really, as long as i get something.

O2 will be no good for gaming, and useless for an Xbox as it won't connect to it without using more equipment. Ripwave and Clearwire (broadband in a box types) are fairly useless for gaming too, and may not be available in Letterkenny anyway.

• Advertisement

i was gonna connect o2 to my laptop and connect xbox to laptop and share internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Lol o2 and gaming is a no!Even if you get good speeds your ping will be crap

here's a question. could i convince digiweb engineer to install my aeriel on a balcony?
    my apartment will have a balcony and im sure we could rig sort of stand to hold the equipment.

here's a question. could i convince digiweb engineer to install my aeriel on a balcony?
    my apartment will have a balcony and im sure we could rig sort of stand to hold the equipment.

That's not really the question you should be asking, but yes, they can install on a balcony. The real question is will the management company allow it, and the answer is probably no. They will tell you to remove it.

jor el wrote: »
    That's not really the question you should be asking, but yes, they can install on a balcony. The real question is will the management company allow it, and the answer is probably no. They will tell you to remove it.

thanks. ill ask them about it. maybe i could do a deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The balcony thing is a good idea, I've seen it being done before. The window has to face the right way however. Also, if you get a cheap phone line and broadband bundle off Smart or BT, you would only have to put up with the 12 month contract aspect of it.

I thought a tenant was entitled to have a phone line installed if they so wished?

If you're going to a management company, you'd want to tell them that the antenna is quite small and discreet.

Advertisement