Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

therecklessone II

Options
  • 27-08-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

This aptly named mod has deleted a post and a new thread of mine, with no reference to me or to the forum generally, because his shockingly amateur running of the forum, and that of his colleagues, was called into question.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055639415

Kinda sneaky.

Is this policy on boards.ie?

BTW, I see in another thread that he is demanding permission to publish PMs by another objector. Last time I asked him to oblige in this manner, he didn't respond. .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Let's stick to your issue :)

You've neither linked to the thread or post in question, but I went and looked.

The post seems quite obvious: The mod requested an activity be stopped while they put their collective thinking hats on about how to enable posters to have a fair shot at promoting their activities. You posted another thread despite it. You then posted a post questioning that desicion on another thread - Deletion of that seems appropriate. It was a question you could have (and should have) asked via PM.

Really, when the mods have said "we're thinking this through", is it too much to ask that you wait until a desicion has been made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Let's stick to your issue :)

You've neither linked to the thread or post in question, but I went and looked.

Ahem. How can I link to the thread or post if they've been deleted?

Well had you PM'd the mod in question first to discuss this (as is the normal path), I'm sure they would have provided them on request for a Help Desk thread :)

Sorry, we seem to be going around in circles here. As I said, he didn't advertise the fact that he was deleting them. He just deleted them.
    I'm not asking why he deleted them. I already know that he did so because they offered a perspective that differed from his.
    My question to the Help Desk is as follows:

Is it ok for moderators or others in positions of authority on boards.ie surreptitiously to delete members' posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

First off, I was not aware of a previous request from you to publish my PMs, if it keeps you happy you may do so but I suggest you look for Admin approval for the introduction of other issues to this specific thread.

Now to today...
    SectionF wrote:
    Is it ok for moderators or others in positions of authority on boards.ie surreptitiously to delete members' posts?

This was my first contribution:
    I've checked your current bans, and you are not and have not previously been banned from Help Desk.

You have been given enough leeway on this thread to comment on moderation of the forum, please stop that now or I will start to apply the charter:
    RULE DISCUSSION: We do not tolerate discussion of moderation, moderation of posts or reportable posts in thread. If you have a problem with the forum rules, PM the mods or start a thread in Help Desk.

That's a direct quote, Help desk is open to you.

Anyone else who wants to discuss the rights or wrongs of this may do the same, please do not continue to do so on this thread as per that section from the charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61815791&postcount=180
    SectionF wrote: »
    I cannot post on the Help Desk. If I try, I get the PFO screen.
    Leave that with me and I'll see what the problem is, you have no ban from Help desk showing on your profile.
    Wreck wrote:
    I cannot post on the Help Desk. If I try, I get the PFO screen.

In helpdesk you can only post in threads that you create yourself, you have to be allowed by a moderator to post in other people's threads.
    OK. Thanks. (Another interesting boards.ie choke on discussion.)
    I'll post there after I've pimped my site on the football forum so.
    Read my post on the extratime.ie thread then rethink that please.

That quote on the extratime.ie thread was:
    Lads, will you all do me a favour?

Will you stop throwing your toys out of the pram for a short while, while myself and Xavi6 discuss a process that will allow everyone publicise the site they contribute to?

Like adults, yeah? Thanks.

Closed for a very short while

I then sent you a PM asking you to allow us time to deal with this, we had an exchange by PM (which I'll publish with your permission)

You posted the following a few minutes later (though I'll allow for the fact that you may have been composing the post while I was sending you the PM):
    SectionF wrote:
    Greeting football fans,

As a shameless abuse of forum 'privileges' I would like to take this opportunity to pimp a not very new project being undertaken by myself.

It's FootballPress, a blog dedicated to examining the absurdities and inconsistencies of Irish football culture, mostly, but not exclusively, focussing on the Irish sports media which is in thrall to Big Football.

The latest offering is 'Irish Hammer meets Milwall man', an encounter between an Irish West Ham fan (Des Cahill also has some LoI affiliations, but you wouldn't know it here) and dyed-in-the-wool, real football, real fan, Rod Liddle. Enjoy!

As further bizarre examples of Irish football media fandom emerge, I'll pimp them also in this thread.

That is a continuation of your on-thread comments on moderation, and a continuation of your argument from the BPF thread. As such I deleted it, and rightly so.

Now here's the thing: I don't take into account your opinions as a football fan when I'm acting as a soccer mod, I judge your behaviour.

You chose to comment on forum moderation on-thread, not only in breach of the charter but in breach of a general site-wide policy. I asked you not to do so, and to allow us time to develop a platform for you and all of the rest of the forum users to publicise their own work hosted off-site. You continued to push us, knowing the ultimate sanction will be a ban and you on here, wailing about freedom of speech, property rights and professionalism from mods.

I accept you don't consider me a fit moderator, and I accept that you do not respect the authority I have been given in this role. I am not vain enough to allow this affect me, but I have asked you to show some respect to other forum users, and the forum itself. You seem intent on ignoring that request, and it speaks volumes for your attitude.

• Advertisement

They can't "surreptitiously" do anything. We can see anything that is removed from public view.

As for your other issue, I think it's been adequately addressed above.

First off, I was not aware of a previous request from you to publish my PMs, if it keeps you happy you may do so but I suggest you look for Admin approval for the introduction of other issues to this specific thread.

Now to today...

This was my first contribution:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61815791&postcount=180

That quote on the extratime.ie thread was:

I then sent you a PM asking you to allow us time to deal with this, we had an exchange by PM (which I'll publish with your permission)

You posted the following a few minutes later (though I'll allow for the fact that you may have been composing the post while I was sending you the PM):

That is a continuation of your on-thread comments on moderation, and a continuation of your argument from the BPF thread. As such I deleted it, and rightly so.

Now here's the thing: I don't take into account your opinions as a football fan when I'm acting as a soccer mod, I judge your behaviour.

You chose to comment on forum moderation on-thread, not only in breach of the charter but in breach of a general site-wide policy. I asked you not to do so, and to allow us time to develop a platform for you and all of the rest of the forum users to publicise their own work hosted off-site. You continued to push us, knowing the ultimate sanction will be a ban and you on here, wailing about freedom of speech, property rights and professionalism from mods.

I accept you don't consider me a fit moderator, and I accept that you do not respect the authority I have been given in this role. I am not vain enough to allow this affect me, but I have asked you to show some respect to other forum users, and the forum itself. You seem intent on ignoring that request, and it speaks volumes for your attitude.

I think it is understood by now that I do not regard your modding, and much of that of your colleagues on the soccer forum, as legitimate, as it is demonstrably driven by caprice. So I suppose you're right: as I've said before, I'm not playing the peasant poster game any more. But hey, thanks for engaging on this one.

As for respecting other forum posters, I think you might look to their rights and 'privileges' in that department. It was an astonishing lack of respect for people's opinions and right to reply that was central to the last discussion on censorship, and in my opinion the blatant pimping of their website by a mod, which occasioned this discussion, also showed a lack of respect for users.

Anyway, it is now admitted that the threads and a post were surreptitiously (which plainly means with reference to the forum community) deleted. I'm still looking for a clear answer, for the record if you like, that that is considered ok by the gods around here. If it is, why not just say it?

And, since my PMs have been published without permission, is that considered kosher too?

All I'm seeing it posts quoted, not a PM.

You had a clear answer - the mods took the right desicion. We don't expect them to consult the forum users each time a desicion has to made. The mods in this case have done nothing outside of what we ask them to do.

Sorry, you're right. No PMs were posted. I retract that and apologise to you and to TRO for the error of fact.

But I still haven't got a clear statement. You just can't bring yourself to state explicitly that it is perfectly acceptable for people unilaterally to delete other people's posts. That, however, clearly is the policy.

Boards.ie gets creepier and creepier.

You've got the answer. I can't make you like it, however :)

• Advertisement

Never mind. Once we all keep smiling, eh? smiley_missing_icon.jpg

Advertisement