Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gainsborough electric shower problem

• 27-08-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭

Looking for help,

i have a gainsborough SV 800 electric shower, the temp control does not seem to work, it runs hot water all the time. Even when set at lowest cold the shower is still hot and never runs cold water. Can anyone tell me what the problem with it would be and how easy to fix one-self.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

finn28 wrote: »
    Looking for help,

i have a gainsborough SV 800 electric shower, the temp control does not seem to work, it runs hot water all the time. Even when set at lowest cold the shower is still hot and never runs cold water. Can anyone tell me what the problem with it would be and how easy to fix one-self.

Thanks

Yes if my memory serves me correct an sv800 is a mains fed shower which would most likely mean that your mains pressure is to low. Do you know if its a mains shower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

could be a faulty thermostat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

it is a mains shower i recently turned down the water pressure into the house because i had a water hammer coming through one of the toilets in the house when flushed. turning down the pressure solved the toilet problem for a while but has since come back !
    if i turn back up pressure u think it will help woth shower issue joey ?

finn28 wrote: »
    it is a mains shower i recently turned down the water pressure into the house because i had a water hammer coming through one of the toilets in the house when flushed. turning down the pressure solved the toilet problem for a while but has since come back !
    if i turn back up pressure u think it will help woth shower issue joey ?

Where is the valve for the water pressure you turned down? Curious? Guaranteed it should. Water hammering in the toilet would mean you have mains to the toilet as well.if you turned down the mains water pressure. I dont think this is the case is it? It is usually not. Turn the pressure up to where it was and start again.

The water hammering in the toilet can be reduced noramlly with a gate valve in the hot press. I am gessing the hammering was happpening down stairs this is ususllly due to the fall of the gravity and the weight of the water in the attic tank. This can be reduced by closing the gate valve to the cold water half way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

thanks very much can now finally again have a normal shower turning up the pressure fron the outside the hse solved the shower issue alright. it is a downstairs toilet with the hammer will do now next what u suggest wit the valve.
    thanks again for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

sorry to hijack this thread lads but i'm having the exact same problem with my sv800 shower. It was mentioned to me about the water pressure issue which sometimes can be low in the area but i have asked the neighbours that live each side of us who also have the same showers fitted and they are not having the problems that i am. Could it be that the filter may be blocked and is it a big job to check this, we do live in an area with very hard water with a lot of lime in it, we are constantly changing shower heads so it only stands to reason if theres a filter in there it might need to be cleaned

imola94 wrote: »
    sorry to hijack this thread lads but i'm having the exact same problem with my sv800 shower. It was mentioned to me about the water pressure issue which sometimes can be low in the area but i have asked the neighbours that live each side of us who also have the same showers fitted and they are not having the problems that i am. Could it be that the filter may be blocked and is it a big job to check this, we do live in an area with very hard water with a lot of lime in it, we are constantly changing shower heads so it only stands to reason if theres a filter in there it might need to be cleaned

As this is a mains shower it does not have a filter if my memory serves me correctly. When you say you change the heads do you change it for the same head or do you buy a copy in the shops. Sometimes copies have restricted openings which causes the shower to run hot and cold due to a back build up of water,

As your neighbours if they have changed heards. I never change a shower head. what i do is use a solution of clear vinegar and water to clear the limescale. Lemon juice also works.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

As this is a mains shower it does not have a filter if my memory serves me correctly. When you say you change the heads do you change it for the same head or do you buy a copy in the shops. Sometimes copies have restricted openings which causes the shower to run hot and cold due to a back build up of water,

As your neighbours if they have changed heards. I never change a shower head. what i do is use a solution of clear vinegar and water to clear the limescale. Lemon juice also works.

good man joey, i was thinking about this last night and i decided to take the shower head from the shower in the main bathroom and fit it to this one that was giving the problem. To my delight i now have a shower that works properly again. Should have thought of this ages ago, who'd know that the shower head could cause this eh? in fairness it was only an oul cheap one that i had bought somewhere.
    Many thanks for the reply

Advertisement