Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end is nigh for shooting?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I think the only way a petition would cause Mr Ahern any concern would be to get 1,000,000 signatures .. and drop it on his head:eek:... from a great height:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

"The end is nigh for shooting?" only if it's not "Olympic" type shooting :p

A new SI specifically for that type of shooting :confused: one would wonder how and why they got such special treatment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

A new SI specifically for that type of shooting :confused: one would wonder how and why they got such special treatment :)
    Aw bunny - the original SI had the same reference to Olympic competition so no conspiracy theories please:rolleyes:
    The "new" SI has removed the anomaly concerning centre-fire moderators. We are all awaiting the guidelines to see what's in and what's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

4gun wrote: »
    I think the only way a petition would cause Mr Ahern any concern would be to get 1,000,000 signatures .. and drop it on his head:eek:... from a great height:D:D

Quadruple spaced and heavyweight paper please :)

And none of that greeny writing on both sides nonsense either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i think it should be made difficult to get your first license so you only bother getting it if you really want/need it but once you have it you should be allowed buy new guns or change your gun easily and cheaply, what i think would be a good idea is have a seperate license for each shoothing discipline, have a game license that you can have a shotgun for, a rough shooting license that allows the owner to have a shotgun, air rifle, rimfire or centrefire smaller then say a .22-250, a big game license that allows the use of bigger rifles for deer or other big animals out foreign, and a target license that allows for .22's centrefire rifles, trap/sporter shotguns and handguns and airguns, and once he has any of these licenses let him buy as many guns as he needs for it aslong as his security is up to standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

johngalway wrote: »
    Quadruple spaced and heavyweight paper please :)

And none of that greeny writing on both sides nonsense either!

Deliverd to him while he is about his hobby of windsurfing.:)

[I thought hot air ballooning was a more appropriate hobby for our Dail denizens.]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Deliverd to him while he is about his hobby of windsurfing.:)

[I thought hot air ballooning was a more appropriate hobby for our Dail denizens.]

Self powered then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I picked this thread up a little late but..As I see it there is a couple of things that I think is clear over the last few years. The new Legislation and the new forms and the new security arrangements will see a net reduction in firearms in this country all be it from the law abiding members of the public. A hell of alot of people arent going to renew and it has been estimated that upto 20,000 firearms will be destroyed. Now Look at that headline "Minister suceeds in taking 20,000 guns off the streets" Chalk one up for the Minister. Do people really give a shlit were the figure or how the figure came about no.

The new forms has, as mentioned already, make(s) the applicant "work" to obtain a firearm from scratch.

1. Proficiency course
    2. Chat to Doctor
    3. Referees
    4. Member of club/range or Farmers permission
    5. Security arrangments (which you now sign that you have in palce so whoa be tide ye if your gun gets nicked and it wasnt secured. and I bet you a tenner minimum will be a gun safe, (if the Super has sense, because I cant see a gun stored seperately in constituent parts with a trigger lock in place.

Then we have a duck that I'll take up Golf.

Shooting wont be banned, and I'll throw this grenade in for good measure that maybe we moved too quickly on the pistol front from (with licencing of 22 rimfire to 9mm and .357 revolvers). (I know the argument that a gun is a gun etc) but maybe the public/the politicians and the gardai werent ready for that leap and we have actually shot ourselves in the foot.(sorry for the pun).

Politicians for thousands of years have played to the plaebs. We suffer from thinking that everyone in the country knows a little bit about shooting sports,(sure arent we all agricultural):D but as it has been said here on numerous occassions, the news and hollywood has educated the masses, and that there is the fundamental problem.

We need to Stop thinking like a sportsman who knows his sport and look at it from the outside in as someone who knows nothing about shooting and when you do it's all about numbers

.22 vs 9mm etc

Have a conversation withsomeone about target shooting, they wont bat an eyelid if you say I shoot with a .22 target pistol (cause everyone loves .22 we grew up around it Grand daddy had one etc etc etc) have the same conversation but this time use the term "9mm" and semi auto and watch the xpression change evr so slightly.
    By the way ditto for expressions like double barrell or over and under vs pump action and semi automatic.

I actually think target sports will be fine, it's hunting that is going to get the chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bunny, we brought the Minister out for dinner and got him sh*t faced in Coppers before bringing him on a wild tour of the ranges of Ireland pointing out how everyone else was bad and we were good.

Then we tucked him into bed and left a pre-printed SI on his locker to be signed the next morning.

We're actually surprised he did, because he got totally plastered and kept asking us to call him Brian because: "those other two f*ckers are called Brian" and he didn't want to be left out.....

So now you know :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    Bunny, we brought the Minister out for dinner and got him sh*t faced in Coppers before bringing him on a wild tour of the ranges of Ireland pointing out how everyone else was bad and we were good.

Then we tucked him into bed and left a pre-printed SI on his locker to be signed the next morning.

We're actually surprised he did, because he got totally plastered and kept asking us to call him Brian because: "those other two f*ckers are called Brian" and he didn't want to be left out.....

Brilliant....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's a part of me that really wants that to be true.

There's a part of me that really wants that to be true.
    I think it is.

I keep reading posts from Bananaman and bunny shooter and Sikamick and although it's all a bit of a blur to me; you know the kind of memory that you're not sure if it's a dream or not? Well that's the one I have, and I was sure it was a dream until I read their posts and they seem so sure that they must have been there to know so much, so it must be true and not a dream at all :o

And that phrase about "the other two f*ckers being called Brian" just keeps ringing in my ears like one of those annoying pop songs.......

:D:D if ye had stitched him up with a couple of strippers and got the photos you could have the sway over him to legalise cannons for home defence:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

4gun wrote: »
    :D:D if ye had stitched him up with a couple of strippers and got the photos you could have the sway over him to legalise cannons for home defence:D:D
    You tappin' our phones 4gun:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd pay really good money to see photos of some of our shooting reps ushering a magnificently covered, lipstick-smacked minister Ahern out of Coppers at three o'clock on a sunday morning. I really, really would.

I'd pay really good money to see photos of some of our shooting reps ushering a magnificently covered, lipstick-smacked minister Ahern out of Coppers at three o'clock on a sunday morning. I really, really would.
    PM me, but don't tell anyone else ;)

fat-tony wrote: »
    You tappin' our phones 4gun:p

I'm actually a member of the Secret Garda Special Branch Weapons and Tactics Drugs and Firearms Squad

So secret
    Infact the government doesn't even know we exist ....:D probably explains why I havent been paid...:mad:
    Don't tell any one will ya....we're secret...shh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Trained by Lord Shortarrse in his super secret Louth hotel ,that converts into a Fortress of Solititude and bodygaurd traing facility at the mention of money no doubt???:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I think it is.

I keep reading posts from Bananaman and bunny shooter and Sikamick and although it's all a bit of a blur to me; you know the kind of memory that you're not sure if it's a dream or not? Well that's the one I have, and I was sure it was a dream until I read their posts and they seem so sure that they must have been there to know so much, so it must be true and not a dream at all :o

And that phrase about "the other two f*ckers being called Brian" just keeps ringing in my ears like one of those annoying pop songs.......

"He who laughs last, laughs longest" :p

Seems the shooters of this country are not too happy with the outcome of this fiasco, hate to be some of those who were inolved :)

"He who laughs last, laughs longest" :p

Seems the shooters of this country are not too happy with the outcome of this fiasco, hate to be some of those who were inolved :)
    Now now bunny, the mask is slipping ;)

Not your usual affable self today, something you want to share with us?

• Advertisement

:eek:
    Not your usual affable self today,

I have to agree, loosing interest in the politics of it all TBH :(

I think the seeds of the demise of all non "olympic" shooting have been sown :eek:

I reckon in time I'll be shooting ISSF style or playing golf :o
    something you want to share with us?

By "us" do you mean those referred to as "some" in my post?

Or "us" as in the wider "Boards.ie" shooting community ?

:p

:eek:
    I have to agree, loosing interest in the politics of it all TBH :(

I think the seeds of the demise of all non "olympic" shooting have been sown :eek:

I reckon in time I'll be shooting ISSF style or playing golf :o
    Em, that's a very bleak view; not saying that ISSF shooting is bleak mind you ;), but there's lots of other stuff and always has been since before the dreaded pistols came back.

The root of all evil if you ask me. :rolleyes:
    By "us" do you mean those referred to as "some" in my post?

Or "us" as in the wider "Boards.ie" shooting community ?
    :p
    One being a subset of the other presumably, I probably mean both.

Em, that's a very bleak view;.

Ya, your right, as usual :pmaybe too bleak :( time will tell
    not saying that ISSF shooting is bleak mind you ;),.

Agreed, not withstanding the "watching paint dry" comment :pac:
    but there's lots of other stuff and always has been since before the dreaded pistols came back..

Ya like bunny shooting :)
    The root of all evil if you ask me. :rolleyes:.

Have to agree with ya there :eek: They have drawn attention to the shooting community :( As another poster here said maybe we'd have been better off stopping at .22lr's.
    One being a subset of the other presumably, I probably mean both.

Very good, I see your sharp this afternoon ;)

Ya, your right, as usual :pmaybe too bleak :( time will tell
    I'm an optomist :D
    Ya like bunny shooting :)
    It's where I started y'know, and it goes back generations in my family. But it's not just that but quite a few other sports including clay busting etc.
    Have to agree with ya there :eek: They have drawn attention to the shooting community :( As another poster here said maybe we'd have been better off stopping at .22lr's.
    It's no coincidence that all this legal stuff started in 2004.
    Very good, I see your sharp this afternoon ;)
    I'm always sharp and although I appreciate the compliment, are you going to share? :pac:

I'm an optomist :D

That's what has this country in the state it's in :pac:
    It's where I started y'know, and it goes back generations in my family. But it's not just that but quite a few other sports including clay busting etc.

Go on :eek:
    It's no coincidence that all this legal stuff started in 2004.

I know :( The NARGC challege to the "gun safe" Garda directive was never going to go unpunished either :(
    I'm always sharp and although I appreciate the compliment, are you going to share? :pac:

No :o

The metaphorical poker game we have been having is over as far as I'm concerned :P

You never paid to see my cards so now you will never know if I was bluffing or holding a royal flush :p

Just remember though

"The trouble with this country is that there are too many politicians who believe with a conviction based on experience that you can fool all of the people all of the time" Franklin Pierce Adams

I know :( The NARGC challege to the "gun safe" Garda directive was never going to go unpunished either :(
    Actually that's truer than you know, and in smaller as well as bigger things.
    Just remember though

"The trouble with this country is that there are too many politicians who believe with a conviction based on experience that you can fool all of the people all of the time" Franklin Pierce Adams
    That can never be proven true until time runs out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Has anybody actually filled out these renewal forms recently??
    8 feckin pages!!

I have to renew all mine it he next few weeks.
    How much will it cost 2 rifles 1 s/g 1 pistol

Has anybody actually filled out these renewal forms recently??
    8 feckin pages!!

I have to renew all mine it he next few weeks.
    How much will it cost 2 rifles 1 s/g 1 pistol
    It's only six feckin pages and only five feckin pages if you're licensed through a club. :D

€80 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bow chica wow wow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

greed, not withstanding the "watching paint dry" comment :pac:
    Ah, but that wasn't the interesting comment Bunny - it was what he said right after that that's the interesting bit.

Advertisement