Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surviving placements

• 27-08-2009 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey just wanted to post a thread in search of tips and advice from all of you who do clinical placements. Personally i hate them, long hours, no pay, missing out on college nites out, travelling and trying to find accomadation etc etc. :mad:
    so im looking for any tips or tricks to help survive placments, for example any of you ever go out on a thurs with placement the following day?? :eek:
    help would be much appreciated folks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Wait... you're doing Nursing course, and getting no pay for your work placement!? That doesn't make sense to me.

One person I know did "3 day week" placement in Drogheda hospital, but she worked 12 hour shifts for these days (7 a.m to 7 p.m). There will always be a chance to go out on the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vanillia face

im doin midwifery, and yes we dont get paid. we apperently get travel expences but we havent recieved a penny yet...:mad:
    true, we can go out at the weekend, but we miss out on so many college activities during placement, including rag week! we sometimes feel like were not getting the real college experience:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

I did a placement this year, grant it, it wasnt in nursing, but it was long hours and coz i communted to it by train, somtimes I had to get up at 5.30 am to be in for 8am. was not nice.
    I also hated what i was doing, the people i worked with where not the friendlest, they were nice in the sense that you could work with them, but they were no fun and they never let me do anything realy.
    As for my social life, i missed college terribley, i missed all my friend and i never went out, until i got to the point where i didnt care anymore, coz i wasnt doing anything at work.

what dose help is if there are other people on your course that are on placement with you or near you and you can meet up with them and have a bitch about work. somtimes, i used to think everyone in my class was having a great time on their placements, but turned out they werent and then i felt better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vanillia face

thanks for the great advice:)
    yea its true about how awkward it is, i had 2 get up at 5.30 and wouldnt be home till 10 that nite because of the stupid buses!!!:mad:
    those hours were extremly tough when we would work 3 days in a row!!:(

Advertisement