Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirt 2 Demo

• 27-08-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

I liked it.Great graphics,nice looking cars and the way the drivers talk during the race to each other is good..Cool feature you can have your avatar hang from your mirror.(Im easily entertained).Never played the first one though.Is it much of the same for those that have tried both?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Got it on the PS3 last week (demo, that is) and found it infinitely infuriating. The coms-radio natter between second rate yank "rally stars" (why aren't they sticking Loeb or real WRC manly men all over the ads, even just for the EU?) is more then annoying.

The controls are ok once you get used to them but a far cry from the precision driving experience we had in the old school PS1/PS2 McRae games. For some reason when you every-so-slightly mis judge the controls it hurtles you 4 miles away from the track, backwards. It's got an awfully unrealistic approach to "going off track". Driving at speed feels more like aquaplaning, meaning you don't feel in control at all.

It's got all of the problems of DiRT and now with extra annoyance. I'll just buy Forza/GT5 when they arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Got it on the PS3 last week (demo, that is) and found it infinitely infuriating. The coms-radio natter between second rate yank "rally stars" (why aren't they sticking Loeb or real WRC manly men all over the ads, even just for the EU?) is more then annoying.

The controls are ok once you get used to them but a far cry from the precision driving experience we had in the old school PS1/PS2 McRae games. For some reason when you every-so-slightly mis judge the controls it hurtles you 4 miles away from the track, backwards. It's got an awfully unrealistic approach to "going off track". Driving at speed feels more like aquaplaning, meaning you don't feel in control at all.

It's got all of the problems of DiRT and now with extra annoyance. I'll just buy Forza/GT5 when they arrive.

I can only seem to control it when i drive at 3/4 speed, flat out is asking for trouble, getting the hang of it but as you say nothing like the old PS1 version i loved that game. Maybe if the full version has a proper WRC event and not this annoying point to point ( WTF ) time trials with loads of loud music and guys shouting at you............Im getting old arent I ??

Playing supercar challenge beta at the moment enjoying it much more than i have ever like Forza or GT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I can only seem to control it when i drive at 3/4 speed, flat out is asking for trouble, getting the hang of it but as you say nothing like the old PS1 version i loved that game. Maybe if the full version has a proper WRC event and not this annoying point to point ( WTF ) time trials with loads of loud music and guys shouting at you............Im getting old arent I ??

Playing supercar challenge beta at the moment enjoying it much more than i have ever like Forza or GT

Well the "real" WRC stuff arrives with GT5. Apparently it has a lot of the stages (if not all, it is carrying the WRC branding) and all of the cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Well the "real" WRC stuff arrives with GT5. Apparently it has a lot of the stages (if not all, it is carrying the WRC branding) and all of the cars

Sweet i have been waiting for a decent rally game for ages now, i could never really get into the other games as track racing ...well ... it sucks balls really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i tried dirt2 out, think its bloody awful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

^^ this might be the thing to swing me into buying a ps3 and gt5 :/

I'm not a circuit driver, don't have the discipline for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I absolutely loved the original DiRT....

Played the DiRT 2 demo...the handling of the car on the second track seems way too sensitive. At top speed on a straight I end up weaving from side to side even when slightly touching the stick.

That voice-chat between the AI could get very annoying too.

Gone from a "must buy" to a "probably will buy" for me. I generally do like Rally games so I'll prob pick it up.

actually, I found RBR to be a bit bleh.

best all around rally game I've ever played was Rally Championship 2000 on pc.

epic when played with a ff steering wheel. 360 controller doesnt even come close to it right now, way too twitchy last time I played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

thought it was absolute muck (geddit? Dirt? muck?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

wasn't impressed by the demo especially the handling just wondering from people who've played the demo and dirt 1, is dirt 1 better or more or less the same. was gonna get dirt 2 but think ill pick up dirt instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rushdie

Is it just me or is the breaking in the game completely different than the first were if you hit the breaks it was like throwing an anchor out of the car as it would stop to quick were as here it does not seem to do any thing but make the car slide of the track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

I quite enjoyed the demo and prefer the car handling to dirt1, I wish it was just a proper rally game without all the bits tacked on but no one seems interested in making one :( Hopefully GT5 rallying wont be rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Rushdie wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the breaking in the game completely different than the first were if you hit the breaks it was like throwing an anchor out of the car as it would stop to quick were as here it does not seem to do any thing but make the car slide of the track

Yeah the car in the demo is very hard to control, you have to pretty much have to break miles in advance and drift around corners.

creggy wrote: »
    Yeah the car in the demo is very hard to control, you have to pretty much have to break miles in advance and drift around corners.
    hmm..I was wondering what I was doing wrong in a rally game... ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

I just downloaded it now and it seems like a great game to me. I'm likin' the in-car view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

mailrewop wrote: »
    just wondering from people who've played the demo and dirt 1, is dirt 1 better or more or less the same.

Better IMO. Its difficult to judge when you've only played the demo of DiRT2 though, but you'll probably be able to pick up DiRT for half nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i tried dirt2 out, think its bloody awful

+1 this game hasn't a patch on the older precision rally Mc Rae rally games on the PS2 etc.

though it looks great and slick it plays utter ****e and nothing like a rally car would handle in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

mailrewop wrote: »
    wasn't impressed by the demo especially the handling just wondering from people who've played the demo and dirt 1, is dirt 1 better or more or less the same. was gonna get dirt 2 but think ill pick up dirt instead.

I can't understand why it's getting the reviews it is. I think it's rubbish. It's gone SO arcade-y, more like V-Rally2 than Dirt. The rally stage is a piss-take. It's so ridiculously fast, and you can't even feel the difference between the road and the shrubbery (nih!).

Get Dirt 1. I'm afraid it looks like it could be the crown jewel in the series before it all goes to hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Played it on a mate's PS3 and it has no offline multiplayer. I mean like wtf?!
    Also the handling of the cars is completely ridiculous, they seem to have just not bothered with properly programming vibration into it has has the usual PS3 problem of looking like it's been passed through a vaseline-covered lens.
    The whole presentation puts me off as well, no chance I'll be buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

im not that mad about this tbh demo seemed boring imo!

andhandling seems to be crap:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I thought all those things when I played the demo, but the game itself is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Bought the game , its not bad entertaining to a point , the buggies are just plain SHIIIIIIITE . Forza 3 all the way !

Advertisement