Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade broadband

• 27-08-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just rang eircom there to see about getting upgraded to 3mb or higher broadband and was told that my line cannot handle it.Am very annoyed as line is fairly new and houses near me can get 3mb no problem.Just wondering is there anything i can do about it.What if i change to vodafone or perlico for phone and broadband will it make any difference?

Thanks
    Redridick

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just rang eircom there to see about getting upgraded to 3mb or higher broadband and was told that my line cannot handle it.Am very annoyed as line is fairly new and houses near me can get 3mb no problem.Just wondering is there anything i can do about it.What if i change to vodafone or perlico for phone and broadband will it make any difference?

Thanks
    Redridick

How new the line is doesn't matter if you're too far from the exchange. Other providers won't get you a shorter line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I recently moved house, the old house is 300-400 meters away and could get 7.6mbs and a ping of 28, the new house can only get 3mbs and the ping is 56 ;(

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Redridick

Where are you living? Maybe you're on a ADSL2+ (upgraded) exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Where are you living? Maybe you're on a ADSL2+ (upgraded) exchange?

Hi Rory,

im on the knockcroghery exchange in roscommon.I guess ill just have live in hope thatsome day i can get off this 1meg to something a bit faster.
    sorry guys here are the line stats.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 64
    SN Margin (dB) 7.40 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 12307 62

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi Rory,

im on the knockcroghery exchange in roscommon.I guess ill just have live in hope thatsome day i can get off this 1meg to something a bit faster.
    sorry guys here are the line stats.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 64
    SN Margin (dB) 7.40 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 12307 62

Not with that attenuation you won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

My god, the line cannot even sync at the 128 Kbps upload that's supposed to be with the 1Mb package. You're only syncing at half of it, your line is not sporting a great signal at all. You must be quite far from the exchange and/or on a bad quality piece of copper from the exchange to your home.

What you can do from within your house is to check that you're using the master socket for the router, and get rid of any excessively long cables between it and the router, if any. Just make sure that your internal wiring is as good as it can be.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    My god, the line cannot even sync at the 128 Kbps upload that's supposed to be with the 1Mb package. You're only syncing at half of it, your line is not sporting a great signal at all. You must be quite far from the exchange and/or on a bad quality piece of copper from the exchange to your home.

What you can do from within your house is to check that you're using the master socket for the router, and get rid of any excessively long cables between it and the router, if any. Just make sure that your internal wiring is as good as it can be.

i guess thats it so.here are the results from speedtest.
    553718051.png

i guess thats it so.here are the results from speedtest.

Unless you know that you're closer to the exchange than about 5.5km, then that probably is it. Your line is too long and noisy. I'm surprised Eircom provisioned the line at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

houses near me can get 3mb no problem.

How near are they? Are we talking right next door, or hundreds of meters away?

What you can do to check if everything in the house is OK, is disconnect everything from the phone sockets. Then connect the router to the master phone socket, on it's own. Log in to the router and check the line stats. Whatever you get there is going to be the best you can hope for.

jor el wrote: »
    How near are they? Are we talking right next door, or hundreds of meters away?

What you can do to check if everything in the house is OK, is disconnect everything from the phone sockets. Then connect the router to the master phone socket, on it's own. Log in to the router and check the line stats. Whatever you get there is going to be the best you can hope for.

Thanks Jor el will give it a shot and see what happens.Will post back here with the results.

thanks again everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's a first for me. I have never seen line stats in real life or on boards.ie in 5 years that couldn't manage 128 on the upload.

Also, the attenuation is undoubtedly higher than 63.5 dB as that's the max the modem can report with ADSL.

Upload attenuation is "only" 31.5 dB which is the same as my own. But I've got a signal margin of 18 dB. Either there's a lot of noise on your line or else the modem cannot report attenuation of 64 dB or more on downstream, and 32 dB or more on upstream too.

That's a first for me. I have never seen line stats in real life or on boards.ie in 5 years that couldn't manage 128 on the upload.

Also, the attenuation is undoubtedly higher than 63.5 dB as that's the max the modem can report with ADSL.

Upload attenuation is "only" 31.5 dB which is the same as my own. But I've got a signal margin of 18 dB. Either there's a lot of noise on your line or else the modem cannot report attenuation of 64 dB or more on downstream, and 32 dB or more on upstream too.

That does not sound too promising either.I did go through 2 modems about a month ago but i think that was due to lightining.I am going to connect my router directly to the eircom line in the small box in the wall outside my house and see what happens:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Even forgetting the attenuation, the SN Margin is far too low. They say 6dB is borderline between a stable connection and a consistently dropped connection. Either those stats improve or the line will not achieve any better with standard ADSL.

Hi Guys,

I did what was suggested and i am still ****ed with the stats.They are still the same so i will have to make do with what i have.i connected the modem directly to the wire from the pole and that was it.
    Thanks for the help everyone and if anyone has any bright ideas let me know.

Redriddick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Those stats look like a 6km-7km long line ! very suspicious about the upload bandwidth .

Any buzz crackle hum when you are on the phone ???

Hi spongebob,

There is no noise on the line when on the phone and when i was trying to get broadband the engineer even said that the line was not bad.The exchange is about 3 to 4 kmh away at the most either as the crow flies or by road infact house further from me can get up to 3mb.

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Could I upgrade to 3Meg with these stats,

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 54.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 116 6

Uncle Sam, are you not some utterly legendary distance from a rural exchange on an ex ISDN line ????

How many KM again ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Uncle Sam, are you not some utterly legendary distance from a rural exchange on an ex ISDN line ????

How many KM again ??
    Hi Sponge Bob,

I'm three miles when I drive in the car from the exchange. Weird about my line by the way. I had the eircom engineer out today because my connection kept dropping out. The line Attenuation was 61(db) Sn Margin was 5 and 10 ( from what I understand those stats were very bad.) This was happening ever since they upped me to 3meg with the price change last year. The line dropping out while gaming was becoming unbearable. Anyway, he came and had a look and said he would put me on a better cable back at the exchange. As you can see the better cable worked, but they put me back to 2meg. I just wonder if my line can now take 3 meg.

Doubt it , better a stable 2mbit than an unstable 3mbit , if those crc numbers are one days worth you are at the limit Sam . Reboot router and see what the crc count is in 24 hours .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Doubt it , better a stable 2mbit than an unstable 3mbit , if those crc numbers are one days worth you are at the limit Sam . Reboot router and see what the crc count is in 24 hours .
    Thank's Sponge Bob,

That crc count was about 3 hours worth. If only Eircom would install a Broadband repeater. There are still a lot of people around me that only have the wireless option or Dialup. Any word on if or when that might happen Sponge Bob.

No sign of repeaters or any form of range extenders at this moment in time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 miginty2009

Hi Guys,

I did what was suggested and i am still ****ed with the stats.They are still the same so i will have to make do with what i have.i connected the modem directly to the wire from the pole and that was it.
    Thanks for the help everyone and if anyone has any bright ideas let me know.

Redriddick

Have you tried Mobile Broad Band? Some of the service providers will give you a free trial & they offer up to 7.2 Mbps worth a look into even for the trial like. :)

Update Guys.
    Well things have gone from bad to worse.Broadband has been gone for over 2 weeks now.Eircom engineer out today and said that i will probably be put down to 160kbs what a joke.Have a ref number and have to call broadband support.I know my speeds were never great but thay were better than that s**t.Think i am going to pull the phone nad bb from them and go wireless.Surely comreg can do something to say that out of the blue my speed can just go like that.

Hi Guys,

Ramg eircon support last evening and was told that i would have to cancel my broadband.How can they just do that out of the blue what can i do now back to dial up.I have never been so mad in my life.Techie on the phone told me that the line had become bad over time what a load of boll**.Any ideas guys?

Advertisement