Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help getting a wheelchair

Options
  • 27-08-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out here? I am trying to get replacement tyres for my wheelchair, and have been told, by the "wonderful" people in the Health Board that, because my chair was bought privately(I did this cos I needed a chair urgently last time, as the other one was falling to bits), they cannot provide funding, or that I cannot use my Long Term Illness book for the repairs......ie I have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

Has this happened to anyone else??? Also, what's the procedure for applying for a new wheelchair. My current one is 5 years old, and I feel I could do with a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

what sort of wheelchair is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

snorlax wrote: »
    what sort of wheelchair is it?

It's an RGK Maxima. A manual chair. I got it in 2004. Apologies for the original thread "title" too.............was a bit p****d off.

try the IWA http://www.iwa.ie/services/wheelchairServices.aspx

i know community generally only gives standard excel chairs out (s/p or transit) so you might want to try enable ireland or the crc ..you should be entitiled to a new one even if they won't fix the old one...other option is the iwa fixes chairs.

snorlax wrote: »
    try the IWA http://www.iwa.ie/services/wheelchairServices.aspx

i know community generally only gives standard excel chairs out (s/p or transit) so you might want to try enable ireland or the crc ..you should be entitiled to a new one even if they won't fix the old one...other option is the iwa fixes chairs.

Yes, but you have to organise that through the Health Board or whatever the **** they call themselves now.

Never mind, I got a guy who used to work with the IWA Wheelchair Sales & Repairs dept, to sort me out.

Such a load of ***** for such a vital thing as a wheelchair!!?? :rolleyes:

its to do with funding.Im an OT but can't get a job in ireland as they keep giving pay bonuses to themselves and consultants...hence i work in the uk now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ottobock

Hi
    I have pumped wheels and eventually found a bicycle shop in Rathmines who fixed a puncture i.e. fitted a new tube and they only charged me €10 :)
    They were really nice and came out to the car after I rang them on the mobile! I presume if u need tyres they would be equally helpful. They are in an awkard place though on Rathmines Rd on the city side of Rathmines

Paddy

ottobock wrote: »
    Hi
    I have pumped wheels and eventually found a bicycle shop in Rathmines who fixed a puncture i.e. fitted a new tube and they only charged me €10 :)
    They were really nice and came out to the car after I rang them on the mobile! I presume if u need tyres they would be equally helpful. They are in an awkard place though on Rathmines Rd on the city side of Rathmines

Paddy

I luckily have "solid" tyres on my chair. Thanks anyway.

Advertisement