Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Modules & Electives did you pick???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i chose brain and behavior as one of my electives, it says provisional and contact school office, what does that mean?
    i also chose soc history irish healthcare which came up as status confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Cheers for advice, and just my luck to pick the hardcore one! I picked it because its interesting....tell me its interesting....

My two cents - it is interesting. The lectures are reasonably non-technical. You can sit down and just listen to the lecturers explain the topic. In 2009 the whole course was based off one book, "Reading Ethics". If you went to all the lectures and studied the book you'd probably get a B, without having to do extra reading. The essay was worth 55% of the final mark, so that was really important. Hence the key to a good mark was to get to know one section of the course very well, and do a good essay on it.

The lecturer warned us at the start of the course that it wasn't an easy module - and it is not - but he was very fair in terms of letting us know the format of the exam. Recommended for anyone interested in ethics, right and wrong, goodness, fairness, all that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

leesmom wrote: »
    i chose brain and behavior as one of my electives

I picked that too :)
    For the First semester?
    Probably be seeing you there so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

bythewoods wrote: »
    For the First semester?
    yep, fingers crossed we actually get it.
    its the only psychology(SP?) one that doesnt clash for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

bythewoods wrote: »
    For the First semester?

I was so tempted, so tempted. But I decided to go deeper.

Semester one =

Introduction to Common Law (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
    Criminal Procedure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 mops

getting worried they say provisional and not confirmed..?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mops wrote: »
    getting worried they say provisional and not confirmed..?:confused:

Same for all electives I think, and they wont be confirmed until next Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

BIOL10020: Cells, Genes & Microbes
    BIOL10050: Animal Diversity and Evolution
    BIOL10060: Plants, Fungi & Environ. Sci.
    CHEM00010: Introductory Chemistry
    CHEM10050: Org Chem & Chem Biol
    CHEM10060: Phys & Inorg Chem
    GEOL10010: How the Earth Works
    GEOL10020: Earth Materials
    GEOL10030: Field Geology, Level 1
    MATH00010: Introduction to Mathematics
    MATH10070: Introduction to Calculus
    MATH10090: Matrices & Vectors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Thanks Infernon and Zuffer for your advice, reaffirms what I thought the module to be about. I've no problem doing the work as long as I enjoy the subject. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

>_<

Swapped Physics for Genetics last night, dropped the stream so I could add a module temporarily (Algorithmic Problem Solving) to see the past exams, and then Biology filled up......

Back to Physics it is then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

IR10010: Cúlra na Nualitríochta
    IR10020: Scríbhneoireacht an lae inniu
    IR10040: Teanga na Gaeilge I
    IR10090: Forbairt na Gaeilge Acadúla

LING10010: Language Use and Communication
    LING10020: Lang Acquisition&Disruption
    LING10030: Sounds in Language
    LING10040: Words and Sentences

MUS10010: Irish Music & Gen Musicianship
    MUS10020: Theory&Analysis of Tonality I
    MUS10030: Theory&Analysis of TonalityII
    MUS10040: Introduction to Musicology I

I wanted to take fewer credits in music and do a couple of electives ... but I can't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

My course modules were pre-selected (commerce). For my electives I chose German for general purposes 1 and German for general purposes 2 :).

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Theres only ten places in sports marketin?! jasus.. i better get it!

also doin intro to applied psychology :D shud be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

MATH10070: Introduction to Calculus
    MATH10080: Calculus & Statistics
    MATH10090: Matrices & Vectors
    PHYC10050: Astronomy & Space Science
    PHYC10070: Foundations of Physics
    PHYC10080: Frontiers of Physics

Can't wait... <.<

Snap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I don't have any electives..

OK so I got physics with astronomy and space science but I want to know if there are any good electives that would suit physics? I put down some chemistry modules but I'm not sure about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sarahwalsh789

Quick question....Il be studying Radiography for 1st year and we got an email from our co-ordinator saying that they recommend us taking an elective in Computer Science....Ive been looking at Introduction to Programming 1...can anyone tell me if you need to be extremely computer literate for this? Its just that it mentions programming loops and arrays which I know nothing about...will I be out of my dept or does it cater for newbies like me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Quick question....Il be studying Radiography for 1st year and we got an email from our co-ordinator saying that they recommend us taking an elective in Computer Science....Ive been looking at Introduction to Programming 1...can anyone tell me if you need to be extremely computer literate for this? Its just that it mentions programming loops and arrays which I know nothing about...will I be out of my dept or does it cater for newbies like me??

Anyone can do it, its one of the easiest modules in UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Generally any module that is introductory in UCD is very manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It really does go from the very beginning. You'll be fine, and if you put the work in it's an easy module.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sarahwalsh789

Thanks for that guys....I guessed by "introduction" it shouldnt be too bad but I said Id best double check! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Energy Challenges (Looks as easy as 1,2,3)

and

Graphics in Design (It's basically DCG all over again!! Yahoo!!)

Both of them tie in pretty well with Mechanical Engineering too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    OK so I got physics with astronomy and space science but I want to know if there are any good electives that would suit physics? I put down some chemistry modules but I'm not sure about it!!

Do some computer science modules, it will make work later on in the course a good bit easier. Comp sci for engineers would be a good one to do.

Also if your able do the higher stream maths option, you'll be much better set for when you enter second year if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Michaelrsh wrote: »

1st year Mathematical Physics modules:

Mathematical Modelling I
    Mathematical Modelling II
    Mechanics & Special Relativity

all good courses that will come in handy in later years

Mathematical Modelling I
    Mathematical Modelling II

thank, i'll probable need to put down, the MAPH00010, as I didn't do applied maths for the LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Was thinking of doing this module but it says you need to have done applied maths and/or Maths modelling I. I did higher maths and physics for leaving cert. Anyone done this module before know what its like/if i need these subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I know its late now I picked Rome: Rise to Empire is that difficult, I have some interest in that kind of thing but I don't want something that is too heavy going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

nick23 wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing this module but it says you need to have done applied maths and/or Maths modelling I. I did higher maths and physics for leaving cert. Anyone done this module before know what its like/if i need these subjects?

it's pretty standard stuff. nothing particularly challenging in the mechanics part and you just have to get your head around the relativity stuff.

you wouldn't need maths modelling I but it's a nice course. it might come in handy at one point when you're doing the orbit equation (if it's still done).
    maths modelling I and II were my favourite first year courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Eamon27

Has anyone else stopped getting emails on the number of people registered for electives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Eamon27 wrote: »
    Has anyone else stopped getting emails on the number of people registered for electives?

only got 1!

Advertisement