Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me reading the 84x timetable ?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before
    I'm trying to figure out the 84x timetables / routes - Arrrggghhhhh

Also, is the service ok / reliable etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Can you be more specific?

What exactly is it you need to know?

As for reliability, barring accident or incident, the service is extremely reliable. I use it myself most days and am very happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

good service, very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

What times in the morning, where does it pick up from.
    I live in Eden Gate so I dont know whether to get it from Kilcoole or Charlesland.
    Where in town is the drop offs and at what times

I cant make head nor tail of the timetable on Dublin Bus website.

An before ye ask - of course I'm blonde ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it departs Kilcoole at the following times:
    06:30 06:55 07:00 07:10 07:20 07:25 07:30 07:45
    and afaik it stops at the bus stop on the Eden Gate roundabout so you should get it from there.
    It drops off on Leeson St, Stephen's Green, Dawson St and Fleet St.

Coming back in the evening it picks up on Eden Quay, Nassau St, Kildare St and Leeson St, departing Eden Quay @ 16:45 17:00 17:15 17:30 17:45 18:30

OMG - Thats fab, thanks so much.
    Does it take long, or is that akin to asking how long is a peice of string ?
    € 5 per day ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maria gstones

It takes just less that an hour to get to leeson street. it'll start to take a little longer when UCD and schools are back but once you get it figured out its really handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Merrilady wrote: »
    OMG - Thats fab, thanks so much.
    Does it take long, or is that akin to asking how long is a peice of string ?
    € 5 per day ?
    Buy a travel 90 ticket in Eugenes. They cost €18 and you get 10 journeys for this. You can take on a second jorney in town if needed if it's within the 90 minutes of boarding the first one. By the way, I think the second bus from Kilcoole is actually at 6.45 not 6.55. I got it the other morning.

Thanks so much folk, I'll be trying that from Mid Sept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Joliegood wrote: »
    Buy a travel 90 ticket in Eugenes. They cost €18 and you get 10 journeys for this. You can take on a second jorney in town if needed if it's within the 90 minutes of boarding the first one. By the way, I think the second bus from Kilcoole is actually at 6.45 not 6.55. I got it the other morning.
    There's also the slightly cheaper alternative of the 30-day Rambler for €100. Works out at €3.33 per day as opposed to €3.60 for the Travel 90. A small saving, but every little helps. It also has the advantage that you can use it as many times during the day as you like.

if your company does the Taxsaver scheme then you can save a lot by getting a monthly or annual ticket through them.
    joliegood wrote:
    By the way, I think the second bus from Kilcoole is actually at 6.45 not 6.55.

according to the timetable that service departs Newcastle at 0645, hitting Kilcoole at 0655 (the latter time is just an estimate though). http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84x1/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

loyatemu wrote: »
    it departs Kilcoole at the following times:
    06:30 06:55 07:00 07:10 07:20 07:25 07:30 07:45
    and afaik it stops at the bus stop on the Eden Gate roundabout so you should get it from there.
    It drops off on Leeson St, Stephen's Green, Dawson St and Fleet St.

Coming back in the evening it picks up on Eden Quay, Nassau St, Kildare St and Leeson St, departing Eden Quay @ 16:45 17:00 17:15 17:30 17:45 18:30

The stop before the roundabout (southside), not after.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Joliegood wrote: »
    Buy a travel 90 ticket in Eugenes. They cost €18 and you get 10 journeys for this.

I'm trying to determine alternatives to the DART, which is an oxymoron and should be the DAST...

According to the web page for the 84X:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84x1/

it says (bottom of the page): "Travel 90 prepaid tickets are not valid on this service. "

Can someone clarify please.

Scholar 10 Journey Travel 90 prepaid tickets are not valid on this service.

just them pesky kiddies! (Scholar)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

SickCert wrote: »
    just them pesky kiddies! (Scholar)

Thanks SickCert - I read that too fast on the web site. Heck of a saving using the pre-paid tickets - €1.80 instead of €3.50!

darter wrote: »
    Thanks SickCert - I read that too fast on the web site. Heck of a saving using the pre-paid tickets - €1.80 instead of €3.50!

The scary part being after all these years you hear regulars asking for the 3.50 fare. The UCD youngsters will cop on before October!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm a 5 year veteran of the 84x and I couldn't recommend it more. It's never let me down...except on some days when the 13.00 bus from town doesn't show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm a 5 year veteran of the 84x and I couldn't recommend it more. It's never let me down...except on some days when the 13.00 bus from town doesn't show up.
    The 13.00 has been cancelled for some time as far as I know.

Can confirm the 1300cc is a gonna

Wow, am seriously impressed !!
    2nd day today and I cant belive how quickly I was in town.

Mind you I ended up in Newtown on the way home :eek:
    Wont make that mistake again.
    Eugenes out of Travel 90 tickets, will be stalking them all weeknd till I have one in the back pocket.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Dublin Bus do a 30 day ticket for €100. It doesn't have to be used consecutivly so, using it 5 days a week, you should get 6 weeks out of it. And you can use it as much as you want throughout the day and it still only counts as one journey. AND they will post it out to you free of charge.

Buy it here.

Also, anybody wondering what stops the buses stop at there is a handy map function on the website now with each stop marked. Here is the map for the 84X (it says it's the Newtown bus, but it's the normal route...)

• Advertisement

d31b0y wrote: »
    Also, anybody wondering what stops the buses stop at there is a handy map function on the website now with each stop marked. Here is the map for the 84X (it says it's the Newtown bus, but it's the normal route...)

wow - useful stuff from the DB website for once, but its missing some stops (notably the Charlesland stop, and the Eden Gate stop that Merrilady was asking about in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yeah, I emailed them about the Newtown route etc and this is what they sent me back.
    Thank you for your email and for bringing this to our attention, I have logged your comment on the customer feedback database and I have sent a copy of this to the relevant department.

I have been advised that we are currently redoing the stops for the 84x (Newtownmountkennedy) and they should be updated on the site by the ends of the week. However we are having some problems trying to separate the 84x* in the system and this will require more time to fix.

Im one of the long suffering drivers on the route - since 2003!

Any questions just ask or PM me.

As for Newtown, they never allocated stops! Most drivers with matching brain cells will stop at all from Newcastle hospital to Willow grove.

You should be OK as a top dog with Bus Eireann lives out that way and sometimes uses the service.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

SickCert wrote: »
    Im one of the long suffering drivers on the route - since 2003!

Any questions just ask or PM me.

As for Newtown, they never allocated stops! Most drivers with matching brain cells will stop at all from Newcastle hospital to Willow grove.

You should be OK as a top dog with Bus Eireann lives out that way and sometimes uses the service.:eek:
    Still on it? I thought you'd been demoted to the 145. (Wednesday at least)

Wednesday was my day off (in theory)..............shhhhh

We X-men do the comman service off peak.

Where did you see me, Dragon?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Dumb question: can you get off the 84x anywhere along the route?

e.g., Waterloo Road, just before Donnybrook

if you look up the timetable on DB's website there's a map of the route showing all the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Thanks. I did check their site previously, of course, but I find their website and timetables to be less than intuitive.

Dumb question: can you get off the 84x anywhere along the route?

e.g., Waterloo Road, just before Donnybrook

It doesnt stop at all stops along the route, but it does stop at the one you are talking about ( i belive)
    Surprisingly, on the way home it is not supposed to stop outside Xtravsion .. Another bizzare thing from DB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maria gstones

Its been a while since I got it so I'm not completely sure but it definitley stops at the Appian way bus stop on the way into town and at the Burlington on the way out. I'm just not sure if it stops at the stop after the Burlington, I don't think it does.

Advertisement