Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building collapse on castle street

Options
  • 27-08-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Just heard this! anyone got anymore info??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

News confirmed that nobody was hurt. It was thought that people were in there but the fire brigade checked and it was empty.

People could easily have been hurt though. It's on a busy street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I saw it this evening. Some poor sod needs a new car.

3862002931_b63923a521.jpg

3862782640_fdbffd1397.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What used it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Faith wrote: »
    What used it be?

A 2euro shop I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

When I saw the pictures on rte I presumed it was the next building further down, the old abandonded mens centre or something.

Very lucky nobody was hurt, anybody know what time it collapsed?

When I saw the pictures on rte I presumed it was the next building further down, the old abandonded mens centre or something.

Very lucky nobody was hurt, anybody know what time it collapsed?

You could be right about the mens centre. Think one person is been treated in hospital for minor injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

A culvert runs under there with water I think...the building had been slowly sinking I heard.

In fact if you look at the road outside O'Briens and the old Cork City FC shop on Daunt Square you'll see that that is sinking too...it's not very visible now but it was before the council levelled it over again, the weight on vehicle tracks on it had just pushed the paving stones way down into what must surely be fairly soft and marshy ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd say the shops on either side are a bit worried - you'd imagine they'd all be in a similar state.

JohnK wrote: »
    I'd say the shops on either side are a bit worried - you'd imagine they'd all be in a similar state.

Id say the area will be closed while they are made safe. Or else they might just knock them down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Jeez that's insane, one of my friends used to work in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

JimBob85 wrote: »
    Id say the area will be closed while they are made safe. Or else they might just knock them down
    Probably right there. Isn't that what they did when the building on Washington street collapsed a few years back?

I m not sure about Washington st but when it happened on Shandon st last year they took down the surrounding buildings

Probably right there. Isn't that what they did when the building on Washington street collapsed a few years back?

nope. they're all still there. you can still see where the section that fell was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I like the "business as usual" sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

looks like the 206 got the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

correct one girl killed and a guy paralysed, parapet wall fell a few doors down from the wash about 8yrs back, a few days before new years.

I've been on the roof of a few buildings around there upkeep is shocking they whole place vibrates when a truck passes,don't even mention south mall to oliver plunkett street.......waiting to happen......think of the old rickety staircases especially to the top levels in those buildings to get a picture of the state of the buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Anyone notice how slow RTE has 'Anglesea Street' as the caption of one of the photos on the news link? http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0827/cork.html :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

soundsham wrote: »
    correct one girl killed and a guy paralysed, parapet wall fell a few doors down from the wash about 8yrs back, a few days before new years.

I've been on the roof of a few buildings around there upkeep is shocking they whole place vibrates when a truck passes,don't even mention south mall to oliver plunkett street.......waiting to happen......think of the old rickety staircases especially to the top levels in those buildings to get a picture of the state of the buildings

Is it really that bad yeah?

Are they not checked on an annual basis or anything no?

they've started clearing the rubble.

3863778371_f3d7ef8ef2.jpg

3863778341_3e2447ca4f.jpg

the car is wrecked:
    3864561222_b1d2e5c49a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sunnyside wrote: »
    News confirmed that nobody was hurt. It was thought that people were in there but the fire brigade checked and it was empty.

People could easily have been hurt though. It's on a busy street.

Saw it come down at 17:36 (well that's the time on the photos on my phone). Castle St. was cordoned off as was sections of South Main St. and Cornmarket St. Very large Garda presence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Saw it come down at 17:36 (well that's the time on the photos on my phone). Castle St. was cordoned off as was sections of South Main St. and Cornmarket St. Very large Garda presence there.
    Possible subsidence in the area? Questions must be raised overall. It could have been a lot worse. That crushed looking fancy looking car could have easily been a pushchair with a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

fancy looking car

Puegot 206? Weird number plate though....

Puegot 206? Weird number plate though....

Number plate was just edited out. It had a standard Irish number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnyvee

johnnyvee wrote: »

Pity the building is totally out of frame during the collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

What a lucky break that nobody was hurt. Remember the tragic case on Washington Street some years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Wow. you tube is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

pity the cameraman didnt actually catch the collapse, too busy recording 2 cops... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

johnnyvee wrote: »

Wow.... camera man missed the actual moment of impact and only got a cloud of dust.

(Conspiracy Theories forum
    >)
    - Castie

Advertisement