Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building collapse on castle street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnyvee

BArra wrote: »
    pity the cameraman didnt actually catch the collapse, too busy recording 2 cops... :rolleyes:

I wasn't expecting the building to come down at all - nobody was, but I was a littlle unlucky were I was standing when it did ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnyvee

johnnyvee wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting the building to come down at all - nobody was, but I was a littlle unlucky were I was standing when it did ..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhvoOg05Mlg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

D-Generate wrote: »
    Wow.... camera man missed the actual moment of impact and only got a cloud of dust.

(Conspiracy Theories forum
    >)
    - Castie

No need to edit this....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There was every need to edit the post. The post that was edited, was accusing the owner of the car of insurance fraud and the owners of certain shops in cork of fostering a monopoly. Which makes boards.ie ltd liable if there was going to be an issue of insurance companies reading boards jumping to conclusions, or of the said companies deciding to sue us.

I reported the post, and if I'd my time back, I'd infract the user too. People should know better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did nobody else think D-Generate was just joking?

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Did nobody else think D-Generate was just joking?

The very problem with a text only interface like boards is that it's hard to infer and interpret emotional content of mails so that you can know someone's joking. I might, you might, but the people in his post, and the companies might not.

We have a responsibility as Mods and users to ensure boards doesn't have any potential legal material on our hands. Deleting the post was the right thing to do, and for the record, I don't think he was joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

There was every need to edit the post. The post that was edited, was accusing the owner of the car of insurance fraud and the owners of certain shops in cork of fostering a monopoly. Which makes boards.ie ltd liable if there was going to be an issue of insurance companies reading boards jumping to conclusions, or of the said companies deciding to sue us.

I reported the post, and if I'd my time back, I'd infract the user too. People should know better.

u sure do know a thing or 2 about petty regulations. and don't worry about Boards.ie, LTD they will be grand i'm sure nobody except the people posting here give 2 ****s about the stuff posted here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

johnnyvee wrote: »

why r there so many people waiting around. Like the 2 guards and then theres about 5 or 6 other guys come into the frame wearing hi-vis vests. Was there something else going on there at the time?

Just had another look there and the street is already cornered off too. So there most have been something else going on there at the time too

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

suppafly wrote: »
    why r there so many people waiting around. Like the 2 guards and then theres about 5 or 6 other guys come into the frame wearing hi-vis vests. Was there something else going on there at the time?

Just had another look there and the street is already cornered off too. So there most have been something else going on there at the time too

I just watched that now, and had the same thoughts..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Dankoozy wrote: »
    u sure do know a thing or 2 about petty regulations. and don't worry about Boards.ie, LTD they will be grand i'm sure nobody except the people posting here give 2 ****s about the stuff posted here

Actually your 100% wrong.
    Comments like the one edited can indeed get boards.ie in trouble whether they were meant as jokes or not. Its been edited and if theres a problem take it to the helpdesk otherwise stay on topic.

• Advertisement

suppafly wrote: »

According to RTE.ie, the building was being renovated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Personal abuse wont be allowed here. 7 day bans await for people wont dont listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The building had been making sounds all day and the workers left the site and alerted Gardai who closed off the street and evacuated tenants & shops, it was then that the collapse occured. Does anyone know if the culvert under the building was found to be in a eroded state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Just in case anyone is as thick as me this is what culvert means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

cork45 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is as thick as me this is what culvert means.

To give you a better idea, here's a culvert that was uncovered on Daunt Square a few years back.

Figure_7_Culvert_Grand_Parade.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

after seeing that pic i will never again feel safe walking around in cork. the whole city is like that isn't it, water below every road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

after seeing that pic i will never again feel safe walking around in cork. the whole city is like that isn't it, water below every road

Yup.

Cork was pretty much the Venice of Ireland, if you walk along the south mall, you can see some of the buildings have their entrances on the first floor, and under the steps leading up to them, you'll see arched doorways - that was so boats could go inside those arches and moor.

Also, on the Grand Parade, where it meets Tuckey Street, there's one of the city's 4 defense cannons buried head down in concrete - again for the purpose of mooring boats. A second cannon is on display near Pairc Uí Caoimh.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

The building had been making sounds all day and the workers left the site and alerted Gardai who closed off the street and evacuated tenants & shops, it was then that the collapse occured. Does anyone know if the culvert under the building was found to be in a eroded state?

so why didn't they move the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Lucky nobody was killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

kierank01 wrote: »
    so why didn't they move the car?

according to the examiner, the owner of the car returned but was prevented from moving his car as the building was too unsafe.

Yeah, Oliver Plunkett Street is terrible for that. It constantly gets flooded when there's heavy rain because of the water beneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, Oliver Plunkett Street is terrible for that. It constantly gets flooded when there's heavy rain because of the water beneath it.

Sorry to have to correct you but the flooding on oli st was due to the city drains backing up in times of high tide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

correct,

a few years back it flooded from both north and south channels, so over as far as opera house was flooded,where usually the south mall side over to ol. pl. st. got the worst
    they've raised the road levels over there at opera house to patrick street at the moment by over a foot with the new development and put big huge drains in the new paths to take the water away quickly

Sorry to have to correct you but the flooding on oli st was due to the city drains backing up in times of high tide

Oh really? I didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

They obviously knew it was going to happen. There was probably some major structural problems appearing so they decided to close off the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

It is highly unlikely that the culvert had anything to do with what happened here. The river used to run up from Daunt Square up where these buildings are and then down the centre of what is now Liberty Street (beside the raven).
    So, while there is certainly a culvert there, I think the fact 80% of the buildings fabric had been ripped out had much more to do with its collapse than any underground issues.

Thats a great picture of Daunt Square above. The guy with the Waterstones bag looks gas!
    The crazy thing is they came upon this culvert by accident. They didn't even know it was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

deRanged wrote: »
    according to the examiner, the owner of the car returned but was prevented from moving his car as the building was too unsafe.

No self respecting guy would be seen driving a girls car like that. I bet he was too ashamed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

its mad, I have the Atlas of Cork City, its a great read. Theres great pictures of how Cork city looked through the ages, it actually did look like the Venice of Ireland, but I prefer Amsterdam of Ireland. Basically a lot of the main streets were canals, as previously mentioned.

Oh yeah, I walk past that biulding every morning with my gf, so that could have been us with the car! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement