Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does FETAC work?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

How does it work? Thinking about doing Tourism with Buisness for a advanced cert but what can I do with it? I get points and can add them onto my leaving Cert results is that right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

No you cant combine - it is either the Leaving Cert or the FETAC results which are used.

The best way to establish how you can use FETAC is to work out what degree you wish to progress to and establish the FETAC requirements for that degree and then see if the FETAC course you are thinking of doing would offer the necessary modules as some degree courses require specific FETAC modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

No you cant combine - it is either the Leaving Cert or the FETAC results which are used.

The best way to establish how you can use FETAC is to work out what degree you wish to progress to and establish the FETAC requirements for that degree and then see if the FETAC course you are thinking of doing would offer the necessary modules as some degree courses require specific FETAC modules.

Well I got 330 on my leaving so wasnt to bad but not enough for courses I was wanting to do event managment been one. So whats the highest amount of points I can get on FETAC level 6?
    oh and is the below statement true? thanks :D

"Another thing about your fetac level six award might mean that you can enter the second year of a degree course skipping the first year altogether because3 a level 6 fetac is equal to a higer cert in the nqi table"

The FETAC entry system is from FETAC Level 5 to Year 1 of a course in a university or IoT. Level 6 is different as it doesnt normally go through the CAO as it is advanced entry. When trying to see what you need to do FETAC wise it is always best to work backwards. So if you have a specific course in mind in a certain IoT or University then email them and ask them the FETAC entry requirements and the FETAC points required.

The points are calculated differently depending on which FETAC entry system is used either (1) the Higher Education Links Scheme (where the points are 3,2,1, and FETAC appicants only compete against each other) or (2) the Pilot Scheme (where the points are claculated up to a possible max of 400 and FETAC and LC students compete against each other - this is normally only in the IoTs).

Make sure and get the correct award codes and module codes from both the IoT and then compare them with the codes (not the names) of the modules you are doing (insist on getting the codes from your FE centre very early on in the year.)

In terms of using a FETAC Level 6 to get into Year 2 of a course there is no firm arrangement throughout the country - it depends on where you want to go and where you do your FETAC award. FETAC Level 6s were normally offered in the larger FE centres - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Cavan, etc and the FE centres there had arrangements with local IoTs for transfer. It is very common and becoming more common in all FE centres but check with the FE centre and the IoT as there is also arrangements in place for those completing the Higher National Diploma and CACHE awards. It is normally also direct application to the IoT and not via the CAO. Transfer only normally happens where there is a very similar course in place eg Business, Multimedia etc as your FETAC course needs to have covered a vast majority of the course content of the Year 1 of the degree. But once again check, double check and get it by email from both the IoT and the FE centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 predominanantly

In the Pilot scheme, do the 400 points (if you get them) count towards any course? As in, you're in the points race?

I persume by any course you mean that can you apply the 400 points for any course listed on the CAO. For a full list of courses that accept FETAC applicants, either through the Higher Education Links or Pilot Scheme look at the CAO website - www.cao and the section for FETAC and the Entry Requirements - that lists the courses that FETAC applicants can apply for. Some of the courses use the Higher Education Links Scheme and some use the Pilot Scheme - check with the University or IoT to see which system they use.

But the best way to work out the whole process is to work backwards, identify the course you want to do and find out the FETAC route and then aim for maximun results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Naigi7

I am looking into doing a course but most of them state that a FETAC Level Major Awards are neccessary. How do i get one of these so to apply for courses?

Advertisement