Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got a letter for the Donagh O'Malley scholarship?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

hi guys
    just wondering did anyone get a letter for the donagh o malley scholarship?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd be surprised if anyone would have heard about it this early.
    When I got it two years ago, I got a phone call about it first (from Mary Hanafin!) before I got the actual letter. It was around the middle of the first term, if I recall, so I didn't get it until around November.

That was the first year it was ever done, so maybe last year's recepients got theirs earlier, but if I were you I wouldn't be worried. There's still plenty of time.

At the same time, however, there's only a limited number of scholarships and they're only given out to students from certain schools, so there's no guarantee you'll get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i got it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mink_man wrote: »
    sure ive got over 400 points and im doin a level seven so suck on that! :pac:
    i failed english irish and matchs and geography!!
    i got it yesterday!

Failed English, Irish, Matchs (sic) and Geography, yet achieved over 400 points and got the letter about the Donagh O'Malley scholarship yesterday (from which most right-thinking people would imply you were offered a scholarship).

Care to explain the inconsistencies inherent in those posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I think the sarcasm was very evident. That type of question asked on Boards is like asking "Did anyone see that cloud today" Asking Boards is hardly a huge portion of the country.

Out of interest, what is the Donagh O'Malley scolarship?

It's a Government scholarship given to students from socio-economically disadvantaged areas who do well in the Leaving Cert.

Full description here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

whoa.... i only asked because i found out last week that i dont qualify for free fees and then someone told me about this scholarship and that how in some cases they even pay your fees.....i thought they contacted you staright away after your LC results come thats why i was just checking. it would be so helpful if i get it especially since aparantly i dont even qualify for the maintanace grant :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

I'd be surprised if anyone would have heard about it this early.
    When I got it two years ago, I got a phone call about it first (from Mary Hanafin!) before I got the actual letter. It was around the middle of the first term, if I recall, so I didn't get it until around November.

That was the first year it was ever done, so maybe last year's recepients got theirs earlier, but if I were you I wouldn't be worried. There's still plenty of time.

At the same time, however, there's only a limited number of scholarships and they're only given out to students from certain schools, so there's no guarantee you'll get it.

thanks. if you dont mind me asking how many points did you get in the LC? because at the moment this is my only hope:( and yes i do know the chances are very slim :(

I got it with 570 (which is probably on the lower end of the scale! :o) but there's no clear "minimum points" requirement defined anywhere. The eligibility requirements, along with everything else about the scheme, are explained here but I can put them up here for you:
    Eligibility Requirements
    Applications for inclusion in the scholarship competition are unnecessary as all first time candidates at the Leaving Certificate Examination 2009, who obtain at least Grade D3 or a higher grade in at least five subjects from the approved list of subjects, (as set out in the Rules and Programme for Post Primary Schools) will automatically be included as candidates for the award of the scholarships. In order to be eligible a candidate must have attended a DEIS school and participated in a Leaving Certificate programme at that school and must be recognised to be from a socio-economically disadvantaged background. As evidence of such, s/he must have been exempted from the payment of the Leaving Cert. examination fee.

Also, it's given out on a regional basis: there's a minimum of three scholarships for each region (Munster, Dublin, rest of Leinster and Connaught/Ulster) but there may be more depending on the need for them.
    UnDeNiAbLe wrote:
    i thought they contacted you staright away after your LC results come thats why i was just checking.

From the above link:
    Scholarship Offers
    Scholarship winners will be notified as soon as possible after the issue of the Leaving Certificate results 2009. In cases where candidates refuse the offer of a scholarship, additional offers will be made up to 30/11/09.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

bump!

bad news (i think)

no "official offers" have been made to anyone yet, only "expression of interest". if you'll recall, the original letter said "THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL OFFER"

however, i got such letters from both this and the all-ireland, sent acceptance forms to both, then got a phone call about a week later telling me that i couldn't have both. i said, obviously, i just wanted to spread my chances seeing as how neither were "offers"

i had to choose one, went with the donagh o'malley, and asked if that was it, if i got it. and they said yeah.

i've been ringing them up for ages asking when the cheques come through, citing my name every time, and they've always been telling me of some "delay". this started at the end of september. monday they told me they should come through by the end of the week.

TODAY, they tell me that no one has been accepted yet, and that what i thought were the cheques coming through were the acceptances. which have not, in fact, come through. and they don't know when they will

the true tragedy in all of this is i have a couple of mates who got/chose the all-ireland scholarship, and they're getting their money, and some ceremony thing, at the end of this month. another friend turned down the bank of ireland scholarship for this. what in the hell is going on?

Advertisement