Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C buys Tennents

Options
  • 27-08-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8223945.stm
    Cider maker buys Tennent's lager

The Dublin-based C&C Group has bought Tennent's lager in a deal worth £180m.

C&C, which makes Magners cider, has acquired the Irish, Northern Irish and Scottish businesses of Anheuser-Busch InBev, including the Tennent's brands.

The cost of the merger between Anheuser-Busch and InBev is thought to have forced the company to sell some of its assets.

Tennent's is Scotland's leading lager, accounting for 55% of pub sales. C&C said the deal made good business sense.

Stephen Glancey, C&C's chief operating officer, said: "We're buying it because it's a fantastic iconic Scottish brand and above everything else it will provide us with a platform for developing Magners in Scotland."

The firm makes the cider brands Bulmers and Magners, as well as a range of niche spirits and liqueurs.

Along with Tennent's lager, it has also acquired the Wellpark Brewery in Glasgow and distribution rights for brands including Becks and Stella Artois.

A spokesman for the company said that he expected that Tennent's sponsorship of the annual rock festival T in the Park would continue.

Good news maybe if you're into your Tennents. I don't mind it as a cheap fizzy beer. I think it's actually cheaper than Dutch Gold and possibly Tuborg as well. Not many pubs in Dublin have it on tap I don't think. They've a couple of other variations in their portfolio so I wonder will Ireland see these on the shelves ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8223945.stm

Good news maybe if you're into your Tennents. I don't mind it as a cheap fizzy beer. I think it's actually cheaper than Dutch Gold and possibly Tuborg as well. Not many pubs in Dublin have it on tap I don't think. They've a couple of other variations in their portfolio so I wonder will Ireland see these on the shelves ?
    You could draw a line from Dublin to Sligo, and only above that line, does Tennents sell in Ireland. We couldn't give the stuff away. We actually had cases that went out of date, they had been sitting there for so long. Its big business in the North and the border counties though. Not a nice beer though, IMO.

*On a slightly related note, could the merger of AB and InBev, and the costs involved, be the reason they are pulling Labatts from the Irish market??

Advertisement