Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF are you supposed to do if you have a 3hr gap in between lectures?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I dont live on campus, so what do you do?.......my timetable kinda sux, too many big gaps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Library if not, the gym. If not sit down and chat to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hang out with your friends

GO to the library and get some work done

Go to the library and get some sleep

Get a Gym membership and go get some exercise

If you have a laptop, play games

If you have no laptop, but a healthy disdain for your fellow man, play games in the computer labs

Find a quiet corner and read one of the free student papers

Find a quiet corner and read one of the not-free real papers

Find a quiet corner and read a book

Go to the Bar and get hammered

Play pool in the trap

...that's all I got for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

What ever you want...

Coffee, tea, chat with friends, surf the net or maybe, just maybe study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

pseudo_23 wrote: »
    I dont live on campus, so what do you do?.......my timetable kinda sux, too many big gaps.
    You're supposed to go to the library and study.
    However you'll probably spend your time in the student bar, in the trap, doing stuff with societies or just general dicking about :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

in the last semester i was free from 09.50 until 15.00

i had tea, did some study, some internet searches, a chat with a friend. the usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Drink the **** out of it! Show up hammered at next lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Mushy wrote: »
    Drink the **** out of it! Show up hammered at next lecture.
    Does that happen often? What do the lecturers say?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I like to potter around a bit: some time in the library, a slow amble up to Newstead with a cappuccino and a muffin, a bit of computer time - that sort of thing.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

K4t wrote: »

He jests. it happens rarely if ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Post on boards, of course. :D

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    He jests. it happens rarely if ever.
    I gathered that but any stories?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Study in the Library ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Are you trying to qualify as something other than vague? Study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Try 6 hour gaps! Lecture at 9 and another at 5!! But yeah I think your mean to study with your time off!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Geez, you're giving out about having a ridiculously long peroid of free time during your day? :confused:

Use your imagination. Go to the libary, chat with people, go for coffee etc.

Yeah sorry, forgot to put a siley after it. And Mardy Bum then answered it, its not too common an occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Write a book ;)

Ah no, basically do anything you have on a 'to do' list but never get round to doing because you're too busy. I started messing round with music production on my laptop last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Yeah sorry, forgot to put a siley after it. And Mardy Bum then answered it, its not too common an occurence.

tutors claim that it happens every now and then.
    tutorials generally being later in the day and probable after a gap of a few hours i think it would be expected.

What about get hammered, have a power nap, and then head in with a hangover. Plan.

What about get hammered, have a power nap, and then head in with a hangover. Plan.

Do what ya want:D But by god never expect to learn ANYTHING when hungover, so ya may power nap in the lecture(if its big), then catch the end of it.

I really don't condone showing up to lectures/tutorials drunk either, but am sure some people would try it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Remember a lecturer saying once that for every hour of lecture time a student should study for 3 hours to prepare/follow up on the material......this guy was actually serious!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MultiUmm wrote: »
    Geez, you're giving out about having a ridiculously long peroid of free time during your day? :confused:

This!

When you get out into the working world and realise you have the best part of 35+ years of work with only 5 weeks holidays (if you're lucky) a year, you'll look back at all those days with 3 hour gaps and think 'Why the fcuk, didn't I make better use of that time and really enjoy myself?'

Trust me, I did use that time to really enjoy myself and also study when necessary but even still I really miss that time kicking back with my mates not really having a care in the world other than a vague uneasiness about approaching exams :(

finisklin wrote: »
    Remember a lecturer saying once that for every hour of lecture time a student should study for 3 hours to prepare/follow up on the material......this guy was actually serious!!!!!:rolleyes:

If you were to do all the assigned background reading to a lecture, especially for my course anyway, cant speak of others obviously, you would be doing 3 hours work per lecture easily. Not that it has ever been done:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think two hours is the optimum time to have between lectures. Enough for some study and some pottering about. Three hours is grand. There is quite a bit to do on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have a 10am to 5pm gap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

errlloyd wrote: »
    I have a 10am to 5pm gap...

I had that in first year. I used to go into town for a bit. So, I'd recommend doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tommym037

Thats an easy one.... Pints. 3 hour gap = 5 Pints.

Advertisement