Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dimension 4100 Help Please !

• 27-08-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I recently acquired a Dell Dimension 4100 which someone dumped at the side of my house (regular spot for bin collection), I took it in, so as to find out the owner and return same. It had a .net user password code, not knowing it I googled and found that if I removed the battery for 30 secs, I could get into the computer. I did this and found that it had XP Pro installed (legit) but all docs etc remove. Finally I found a link in Word to a deleted CV doc and found the owner's name. It transpires that owner was foreign guy who lost his job here two years ago. Hence the dumping of the computer as he has obviously gone home!

My problem is that the computer now asked for a floppy boot disc in the A:\ and I don't know how to change the boot in Safe Mode to run the computer itself. I intend to give the computer to elderly friend to save her having to buy one.

Can anybody help me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Revvy

It appears to be trying to boot from the floppy drive. The boot sequence can be altered in the BIOS

After switching on your computer, let the DELL logo appear,

Then press the F2 key (I Think) to access the bios set up

In here you can change the boot sequence to commence with the hard drive.

Advertisement