Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless internet working, main pc not connecting

• 27-08-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Help!:confused: This has been driving me mad for the last three days. I have my main pc with ethernet connection, connected to a Belkin N1 router. All other pc's in the house connect wirelessly to internet with NO PROBLEM apart from my computer which should be directly connected!

All the lights are working correctly on the router, and to all intents and purposes pc is connected. It appears to be connected, but isn't. No pages load, nothing. I have restarted the router a gazillion times, reset the router a gazillion times,all the lights that should be on are on, ethernet port is flashing as it should,computer shows that I am connected, but I'm not!!!

I can load a page for 15 seconds, then nothing. While everyone else is happily surfing.

I wiped the hard drive, and started again from scratch -same thing:mad:

ALL settings are correct, checked and checked and checked...... Please, any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

??? Anyone? pleaseeeee ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

go to START and go to Run...

Enter "cmd" and run

at the c:\> prompt enter "ipconfig /flushdns"

In vista you may have to do this differently. Go to start, type CMD and wait for the icon to appear. Right click on this cmd and run in Administrative mode before flushing the DNS cache.

If that doesnt work copy and paste the information you get from ipconfig /all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Clear your cache etc Go to Internet Connections, right click it and select 'Repair'

Any firewalls?

Thank you so much - flushing the dns did nothing - wired connection still will not connect.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Clear your cache etc Go to Internet Connections, right click it and select 'Repair'

Any firewalls?

only the Vista one it is set to allow, and the router has a firewall. I really dont understand what is going on - the little icon in my taskbar says I am connected, but I cannot access a thing:mad: All the wireless connections work fine. Last week it was working ok!

• Advertisement

dragona wrote: »
    only the Vista one it is set to allow, and the router has a firewall. I really dont understand what is going on - the little icon in my taskbar says I am connected, but I cannot access a thing:mad: All the wireless connections work fine. Last week it was working ok!

Turn it off, what router is it, who is your ISP?

ISP is UTV, and Router is a Belkin N1 wireless router. I have actually tried turning off both firewalls, with no effect:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

youve tried a factory reset on the router as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Try a different ethernet port on the router.
    Maybe try a different ethernet cable if possible.

Check device manager to make sure the network card isn't showing any errors
    (Right click on Computer in start menu - Manage - Device Manager, Open Network adaptors)

When you run ipconfig is your pc getting an ip address?

You should see something like this:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : 
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Copy and paste the output of your ipconfig here if you can't tell yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

What happens id you type 192.168.2.1 into the address bar of your browser?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

are the other pc's connecting wirelessly on the same address rang ie. 192.168.2.x ???

Overheal wrote: »
    youve tried a factory reset on the router as well?

Yep,at least 10 times!
    Try a different ethernet port on the router.
    Maybe try a different ethernet cable if possible.
    done......
    What happens id you type 192.168.2.1 into the address bar of your browser?
    I get nothing on the wired pc, but the router home page on my laptop upstairs.
    are the other pc's connecting wirelessly on the same address rang ie. 192.168.2.x ???
    yes...

I am totally flummoxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

Weird problem alright. Did you run a Spyware scan (Spybot S&D, Ad-Adware etc)?

I remember, a good while ago, I could not connect to the net a few times and after scanning with Spybot, it seemed to clear whatever was causing it.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Panda Bear

Hi Run the lan cable from your PC right back to the Modem first and check if you can browse the net ...
    If you
    can the we can safely assume the pc can connect. this is a direct to modem connection.
    If you cannot we can assume the issue to be at the pc and procedd to check the PC.

I am right to assume you can connect to the Router web page on the other laptop in you home with 192.168.2.1. and if so can you login to this?? let me know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You're gonna love me!

I actually used to use that same Belkin N1 router in a house-share i used to be in......

Exact same problem...
    Except it would work for me for 15seconds then not work then not work for someone else, then not work for them, then it would work for me... (and so forth for a fee weeks)

How did i fix it?
    Don't have a clue!!! I did a complete factory reset several times(email belkin how to do this) Put on new firmware onto it several times....

One day it just work and i never ever ever went near it again!

Truly am sorry i can't help only maybe you could try firmware from belkins site?
    I feel your pain

:DIt may not come as a surprise
    but you may need to buy yourself a Netgear or Linksys wireless router at the end of this but lets keep going for now....:rolleyes:

Har! I am totally wrecked. I have done everything you could possibly think of and more, run Spybot, Combofix,everything. Spent hours backing up everything. Wiped my hard drive TWICE, reinstalled Vista TWICE,reset router I don't know how many times, bought a new cable,thanked god I had the brains to buy a laptop,left the router unplugged all night (read that on net) haven't left it in the fridge yet :p

I am stumped. I can log in to router page from laptop no problem. I have done a factory reset, (no new firmware) but the effin pc will not connect.

Will try something else, don't know what, tomorrow :( Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep em coming :D

Is it DSL or ADSL?

Also....why not connect the PC to the router using wireless? You don't have to use cable for a PC.

Is it DSL or ADSL?

DSL!

Har! I am totally wrecked. I have done everything you could possibly think of and more, run Spybot, Combofix,everything. Spent hours backing up everything. Wiped my hard drive TWICE, reinstalled Vista TWICE,reset router I don't know how many times, bought a new cable,thanked god I had the brains to buy a laptop,left the router unplugged all night (read that on net) haven't left it in the fridge yet :p

I am stumped. I can log in to router page from laptop no problem. I have done a factory reset, (no new firmware) but the effin pc will not connect.

Will try something else, don't know what, tomorrow :( Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep em coming :D

At this stage you need to start a logical approach to the issue and find out what DOES work and great you have a working laptop and this will be key to finding the problem. Dont do anythoing to either your laptop or pc just yet.... We can and WILL help yuo.

• Advertisement

DSL!

Try to connect to PC using wireless.

Also go to the phone line and check the filter and make sure its DSL.

Firstly as I was saying you need to connect the pc to the modem first to establish the PC can in fact connect to the internet.

I see you are getting an IP address from the router when you did ipconfig
    so that is good.

Is the pc capable of connecting wirelessly, (Disregarding the fact its not connecting at the moment) does it have the actual means to make a wireless connection such as a wireless adapter/Card

do you know if your wireless network requires a password or Key to authenticate/allow you connect.

Have you got a spare lan/ethernet/network cble for testing

chat again later Panda:D

Try to connect to PC using wireless.

Also go to the phone line and check the filter and make sure its DSL.

I checked the phone line and filter. Toying with the idea of buying a wireless card or usb thing, but don't really want to spend €30 or more on something if it doesn't work, and can't offload it onto one of the kids....

Panda Bear wrote: »
    At this stage you need to start a logical approach to the issue and find out what DOES work and great you have a working laptop and this will be key to finding the problem. Dont do anythoing to either your laptop or pc just yet.... We can and WILL help yuo.

Awww thanks! Love my little laptop,but I need the mothership to WORK :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Awww thanks! Love my little laptop,but I need the mothership to WORK :D

what happens if you plug your laptop into the router using the ethernet cable you are using for the pc and disable wireless on the laptop?

Can you use the internet?

If this works the pc is the problem.

laugh wrote: »
    what happens if you plug your laptop into the router using the ethernet cable you are using for the pc and disable wireless on the laptop?

Can you use the internet?

If this works the pc is the problem.

Yep, I can connect - the pc is the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

In the firmware i remember there being ways to disable certain users connections.

Maybe you should "mess about" with them for a bit.
    It's more than likely something to do with the Belkin itself considering the problems i had with it.

Have you tried mailing them?
    See if they have anything to add to it

Well I have got the internet to WORK!!

Messing about again all day,with a v large glass of wine, I decided to flush the dns doo dah again, and probably thanks to the wine, spelt ipconfig wrong, probably ipcongig, and a whole load of other options came up, including..........ipconfig /renew, so I thought *why not?*and...........

BINGO I am stunned, and grateful to Chilean grape growers.

Why though? I can now connect, albeit more slowly than usual. Thanks to everyone for your help, I may still need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I may be down your way at the weekend, I know thats a whole week away, But I can have a look if you want.
    Have you tried a different router?

theres no point re-installing windows all the time, the issue is probably not an OS issue.

i have a few spare routers you can try if you want, if they work you can have them

Hope you get sorted :)

• Advertisement

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: spoke too soon :( Doesn't work. Tallon, thanks so much for your offer, but I think there is no need. I have tried a different router, and I still can't connect:( When I try the network repair, it resets the adapter, tells me there is no problem, and I still can't connect:mad:

I swear I am not making this up -it is now working again :confused: :eek: And I have done NOTHING.

Advertisement