Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mails start going to spam

Options
  • 27-08-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me why e-mails that are being sent out by my website have suddenly started going into spam in gmail and now are not being received at all in hotmail? I have no prob with yahoo and most other e-mail addresses. We are a legit company and our e-mails have being going out since april of last year. any info would help or if someone out there knows how to sort it out i would be willing to pay.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Can you change the sent from address?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭oxygenman

AdMMM wrote: »
    Can you change the sent from address?

Hi,
    Thanks for replying. We currently have a company working on this problem but they are telling us that there is nothing that they can do. I presume they tried changing the sent from address but my confidence in them is waning so I can't be certain. We would send out mass e-mails at any one time (approx every second week ) to our members and members themselves would be contacting each other which would generate automatic e-mail notifications between the members.
    E-mail addresses vary from yahoomail to hotmail to gmail. Yahoomail is receiving our e-mails,gmail are sending them into spam and now hotmail have stopped receiving them altogether, we find this surprising as for the last year and a half we had no bother with the mails.

Any tips at all would be welcome.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What application are you using to send?

Do you have SPF records in DNS?

More than likely, people are marking your message as spam, and you're still hitting them with automated messages - which sounds a little spammy.

zAbbo wrote: »
    What application are you using to send?

Do you have SPF records in DNS?

More than likely, people are marking your message as spam, and you're still hitting them with automated messages - which sounds a little spammy.

Hi,

Thanks for replying again. Unfortunately I wouldn't be to great with computers and it's lingo so I'm gonna have to ask you to explain those questions in plain terms ( sorry ).

I could accept the spam part if it was only one e-mail adress that it happened too but both hotmail and gmail started acting up on the same night, Is this normal?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moving to Web Development & Design forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

If you're on a shared hosting solution, Gmail could be marking your emails as spam because another website that is using the same mail server as you, is spamming people (or sending excessive amounts of emails - definition comes into play here). Or it could be because you've been spamming people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You'd be surprised how many people subcribe to e-mail lists, then forget and report you later as spam.

One of the things that I have found lately is that HTML newsletters/e-mails often aren't rendered correctly in MS Outlook (which a lot of people use) because of inbuilt security measures. People don't like this and unsub or move to junk mail folder.

The other problem is the power of Google who can suddenly decide that they don't like your style of e-mail or how you send it. Take a read of this article on their blog:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/unsubscribing-made-easy.html

One has to laud them for this facility but why should an e-mail that somebody unsub's from be automatically reported as spam? Unsubing and not reporting as spam is not as easy for the recipient as you can see from the update at the bottom of the blog post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

you might want to check if you are on a common stop list for both providers - ie a list of spammers that gmail and hotmail subscribe to (or indeed provide).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

dont strong junk filters assing email to junk if the sent doesnt match the server? or am i wrong in thinking this ?

i.e

noreply@liptonstea.ie

being sent from a server like www.mediagroup.com / digiweb etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thelaundry

Did you solve your problem?

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Many thanks to all who replied to my question. We got the problem sorted out in the end. We got a dedicated server or something like that so no bother with e-mails now. Again thanks to all:)

Advertisement