Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO IS BEHIND THE LABEL (DISCOUNT BRANDS)

Options
  • 27-08-2009 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

WE ARE NOW BOMBARDED IN SHOPS WITH OWN LABEL PRODUCTS.
    your local lidl aldi tesco supervalu centra spar mace, have all got their own brands. these shops buy these mostly from local processors.

if you work for a company who supply food, consumables or any item, to a shop on their own label, tell it here. include any differences in quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can spot some yourself, e.g. tinned food- the tins will usually be identical looking, so look for that first, then compare the nutritional information and the ingredients. They list ingredients in order of greatest first, you should also be aware that they can use different names for the exact same item. The nutritional info is a good giveaway, since there are so many listed, kcal, fat, sugar, protein etc, and down to the 0.1g it would be very rare to get 2 the same which are from different places (bar the likes of sugar of course!)

I worked helping a truck company once and used to pick up from depots, and we would have shamrock food & own brand on the same pallets, I remember getting dunnes own brand from 3 different places.

I think many are from the EU now though. As for quality they can bake stuff faster or use lower grade beans, veg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I fail to see where the rip off is?!?

Most own brand stuff is produced be the brand manufacturers but to the customers spec (different ingredients etc). It is cheaper due to less packaging costs, marketing costs and basically cos some will buy branded stuff regardless.

I know for a fact that Dairygold, Glanbia and Kerry Foods do a lot of O/B stuff for Super Valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Many stores will change their suppliers from time to time also. Generally you can tell from looking at the product. i.e. Johnston Mooney used to do Roches bread, they also do catering pans for many cafe's including O'Briens as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

I agree this is the opposite of a rip off. Tesco for example, now do a DISCOUNT brands Italian range (widening all the time), and i have to say, the quality is superb, and the prices are about half of the "well-known brands". Credit where its due.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think there was a long thread on this before on forums.moneysavingexpert.com
    I know the chocolate biscuits in Aldi, Lidl and Tesco (not value) are made by McVities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

MScSarah wrote: »
    Really interesting debate!! This is actually the topic of a research dissertation I am currently conducting....any responses would be GREATLY appreciated...just follow the link below........

<a href="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=T10ssjOKZvjhXjhMa7f9ow_3d_3d">Click Here to take survey</a>

Thanks,

Sarah :D

Just completed that for you Sarah - good luck with this tricky subject !!

One thing I will say is that since being hit by taxes etc., I am much more careful with what I choose now, and will almost certainly look for the price per measure comparisons, and will NEVER buy anything which has no price (all you Supermarket bosses take note !). Since own-brands are normally cheaper by comparison, I have been consuming a much greater quantity of these. Despite this, there are some things for which I will always buy branded - buscuits, salad cream, cornflakes come into this category. Hope this is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

MScSarah wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to fill in survey.........the more the better!!
    Just done it there now too. Sent ya an email also for results when you have them if it's not too much trouble for ya.

Thanks

looder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I remember a salmonella outbreak from some factory last year. It recalled a chicken & bacon mix. The recall affected

Dunnes Stores O/B
    Supervalu O/B
    and O'Briens

So the O'Briens stuff which retailed at twice the price was the exact same as the Dunnes stuff.

Advertisement