Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Projects 2010

Options
  • 27-08-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi, wondering did anyone do any research for their history projects over the summer? Or what your thinking of doing your project on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Found out yesterday, I have to have the 1st draft written up for halloween...anyone a bit lost on the whole thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Think i did mine last year in about 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

I know this is wrong but I did leaving cert history two years ago.... My entire essay was taken from wikapedia and I got 96 out of 100. All in all about 3 hours work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

do you reckon you could get away using same one? how could they find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Once you guys pick a topic you'll fly through it, honestly.

I had mine done (properly mind, not like Calum who was very bold) in one day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    do you reckon you could get away using same one? how could they find out?

Coimisiún na Scrúduithe Stáit
    State Examinations Commission
    Cor na Madadh, Baile Átha Luain, Co. na hIarmhí
    Cornamaddy, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    Telephone: +353-90-644 2752. Fax:+353-90-647 3080. Web: www.examinations.ie. E-mail: info@examinations.ie
    S 82/08
    To: Authorities of Post-Primary Schools.
    LEAVING CERTIFICATE HISTORY
    EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS FOR REPEAT LEAVING CERTIFICATE HISTORY CANDIDATES.
    Candidates repeating the Leaving Certificate History examination in 2009 will be required to both sit the written examination and submit a Research Study Report (RSR). The RSR must explore new material and must not have been submitted for examination previously. In this regard candidates will be asked to declare that they have complied with this requirement. The State Examinations Commission (SEC) will be in further contact with schools in this respect, in due course.
    Source: http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_82_08_LC_Examination_Requirements_for_Repeat_LC_History_Candidates.pdf

My topic is Martin Luther King!
    Im thinking of doing it on why he chose non-violent method or on the march in birmingham and the letter he wrote in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

You basically just need to say all the things the examiner wants to hear.

Interest in the topic
    Engagement and evaluation of the sources (they should not all be good sources, find flaws)
    and quote from the sources in the essay.

Once I got my essay from Wikipedia I went an amazon and looked up various history books and was able to get the auther, publisher etc... No examiner is going to look up every little aspect of your project to find flaws - they want to get through them.

Im just wonderin whats the best way to study history? Cos when i even start to think about studyin it, it just feels so overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Im just wonderin whats the best way to study history? Cos when i even start to think about studyin it, it just feels so overwhelming.
    You can either learn off essays(which isn't advised) or make out notes on the various chapters. Then you learn off the points/information. Also do essays, without the book beside you! Unless you want to learn off the essay of course:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MaggieMags

hiya

Im just starting leaving cert year and couldnt be bothered to do any research for my special topic over the summer:mad:! Now I have to have chosen something by Monday AND written my outline plan thingy!

I was thinking something to do with Robert F Kennedy - his assassination, involvement in civil rights?? Is this a good idea and any suggestions??

MaggieMags wrote: »
    I was thinking something to do with Robert F Kennedy - his assassination, involvement in civil rights?? Is this a good idea and any suggestions??
    I wouldn't recommend that. The majority of students who are rushing to do their project tend to do Michael Collins or JFK, and therefore, the correcter gets bored of reading it after the title.

Really :eek:??!!

And i suppose doing Robert Kennedy its inevitable that I will have to mention JFK somewhere along the way....

Do you have any other suggestions by any chance?? I want to stay away from Hitler/WWII and stuff like that if I can though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do something local or in which you have an interest.
    If you're hoping to go to college, it's a good way of learning research skills and it will stand to you.

Really :eek:??!!

And i suppose doing Robert Kennedy its inevitable that I will have to mention JFK somewhere along the way....

Do you have any other suggestions by any chance?? I want to stay away from Hitler/WWII and stuff like that if I can though
    SORRY! I haven't seen my glasses in a few months, I thought you said John F Kennedy. I'd actually recommend Bobby Kennedy, I did mine on him last year and got 100%:)

spurious wrote: »
    Do something local or in which you have an interest.
    If you're hoping to go to college, it's a good way of learning research skills and it will stand to you.
    I don't have a clue about anthing local and tbh local history round these parts isn't that interesting, Spurious!! I'm kind of interested in conspiraciy theories and big scandals and stuff like that though

theowen wrote: »
    SORRY! I haven't seen my glasses in a few months, I thought you said John F Kennedy. I'd actually recommend Bobby Kennedy, I did mine on him last year and got 100%:)
    Oh that's brilliant! What angle did you take?? I can't decide whether to go with the assassination or to do something else in relation to him

Oh that's brilliant! What angle did you take?? I can't decide whether to go with the assassination or to do something else in relation to him
    Hmmm where abouts are you from?

Hmmm where abouts are you from?
    the whest im afraid haha ;)

the whest im afraid haha ;)
    haha no that's good, just making sure you won't be in the same school as me:p Ok, so I'd say do it on the conspiracies, maybe a bit on his legacy/what he could have achieved.

• Advertisement

haha no that's good, just making sure you won't be in the same school as me:p Ok, so I'd say do it on the conspiracies, maybe a bit on his legacy/what he could have achieved.
    Oh rite I was hoping that me being from the west wouldn't influence your decision on whether or not to help me out lol ;)!

So you think I should go for all the different theories there are on where the shooter was standing/the number of bullets they found etc. etc. and then say what a shame it was because he was involved in civil rights and so on?

Oh rite I was hoping that me being from the west wouldn't influence your decision on whether or not to help me out lol ;)!

So you think I should go for all the different theories there are on where the shooter was standing/the number of bullets they found etc. etc. and then say what a shame it was because he was involved in civil rights and so on?
    Haha I'd never be prejudiced/racist towards a clulchy(is that racist?):) Hmm yeah, you know your stuff already! I've a few sources for you too, a documentary and 2 or 3 books. The books are all on the conspriacies so it'll be handy four you, with like a chapter on his legacy etc.

Haha I'd never be prejudiced/racist towards a clulchy(is that racist?):) Hmm yeah, you know your stuff already! I've a few sources for you too, a documentary and 2 or 3 books. The books are all on the conspriacies so it'll be handy four you, with like a chapter on his legacy etc.
    Racist....or just plain offensive haha :P!!

Well that's all I know from doing some surfing this evening and from a book my teacher lent me last year :s! And thanks a mill for recommending some sources aswell

Racist....or just plain offensive haha :P!!

Well that's all I know from doing some surfing this evening and from a book my teacher lent me last year :s! And thanks a mill for recommending some sources aswell
    When do you need the sources by? I could get them now but would be an effort I'd like to avoid:p

When do you need the sources by? I could get them now but would be an effort I'd like to avoid:p
    Errrm, tomorrow maybe? I don't have access to the internet during the week and I don't want to put you out seeing as you've been such a massive help already :)

Errrm, tomorrow maybe? I don't have access to the internet during the week and I don't want to put you out seeing as you've been such a massive help already :)
    I'll get them now, busy tomorrow. There on a laptop downstairs, all teh way downstairs!:mad::)

I'll get them now, busy tomorrow. There on a laptop downstairs, all teh way downstairs!:mad::)
    Ahhh thnx sooo muc :D:) you've helped me out so much and I feel loads better about it now! I thought I was going to be despertely searching the web for something all weekend :(!

Ahhh thnx sooo muc :D:) you've helped me out so much and I feel loads better about it now! I thought I was going to be despertely searching the web for something all weekend :(!
    I like to help when I'm bored:rolleyes: Yah, my bro just scowled at me when I asked for the laptop so I'll PM them to you a bit later k? The outline plans really easy btw, you know how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Between picking the topic and getting mine written it took me 4 months. Between actually starting the research and finishing it, it took 3 days. My essay was fully written in 4 hours.
    I got 99/100 for it, lost a mark on evaluation of sources.

Did Hitler's Last Days, which I found fascinating tbh.

We were advised not to do "social" history, stick to war/Irish/statistic based stuff.

• Advertisement

I like to help when I'm bored:rolleyes: Yah, my bro just scowled at me when I asked for the laptop so I'll PM them to you a bit later k? The outline plans really easy btw, you know how to do it?
    Oops sorry for getting you into trouble with your bro then lol!

Laters great, will I be able to see them tomorrow morning then?

Outline plan - you just have to justify your reason for chosing it and stuff like that, I have a sheet telling me how to do it somewhere!

Advertisement