Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Projects 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

MaggieMags wrote: »
    Really :eek:??!!

And i suppose doing Robert Kennedy its inevitable that I will have to mention JFK somewhere along the way....

Do you have any other suggestions by any chance?? I want to stay away from Hitler/WWII and stuff like that if I can though

If you want to do Robert Kennedy, just glance over JFK if you want to avoid him. Take a specific line towards Kennedy though to avoid the 'same old' topics.
    LovexxLife wrote: »
    Im just wondering do you have any tips on martin luther king project.
    Like what would you suggest i focus in on like...what would you think of his time in Birmingham or why he chose non-violence as his method the way forward??

What ever you're interested with, go with. Do the research overall on King and see which area you like or find interested in or is important to his overall contribution. If you're really into it, these areas should shine. Failing that just use something that you have solid sources for!

Been about three years but done mine on Operation Rolling Thunder. Wish I could go back and do a better job!

Apologies for the double post.
    laura93 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. Is the internet ok as one source (a specific site)? Or is it a bit risky to use?
    I'll just have to try and find another book or something, although I can't see the information being much different from whats in the one I have :P

About the internet, there are some excellent sites out there but there's an equal amount of rubbish ones. If you find a good one (at least if you think it's good) try collaborate the data/facts with some solid evidence that you already have to see if they match. Try to see if the website adopts a slanted or biased attitude, copying this may harm your score. Keep it balanced and true!
    theowen wrote: »
    ha...? Nobody has EVER been deducted marks for going over the word limit. As long as it fits in the booklet it's all good!

I'll disagree. Have you proof that nobody 'has EVER been deducted marks'? Going over the word limit intently means your essay writing-skill will deteriorate sharply as you're throwing down information and it gets long-winding and boring. The wordcount challenges you to keep the argument balanced, free-flowing, opinionated and factual. Essential in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Select and reject' is an important skill in history.

If the most recent Chief Examiner's report for History mentions

"The Extended Essay
    In the vast majority of cases the extended essay was well written, but sometimes they far exceeded the recommended range of length, 600-800 words, as set out in the SEC Circular S60/05 and in the “Guidelines for Candidates” on the RSR booklet."

then people went over the guidelines and would have lost marks.

**edit**
    It's actually the first thing mentioned in the 'Recommendations' which means it is viewed very seriously indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Apologies for the double post.

About the internet, there are some excellent sites out there but there's an equal amount of rubbish ones. If you find a good one (at least if you think it's good) try collaborate the data/facts with some solid evidence that you already have to see if they match. Try to see if the website adopts a slanted or biased attitude, copying this may harm your score. Keep it balanced and true!

I'll disagree. Have you proof that nobody 'has EVER been deducted marks'? Going over the word limit intently means your essay writing-skill will deteriorate sharply as you're throwing down information and it gets long-winding and boring. The wordcount challenges you to keep the argument balanced, free-flowing, opinionated and factual. Essential in my opinion.
    Yes:rolleyes: I know the advising corrector for the History exam, and as such she knows the the chief examiner.

spurious wrote: »
    'Select and reject' is an important skill in history.

If the most recent Chief Examiner's report for History mentions

"The Extended Essay
    In the vast majority of cases the extended essay was well written, but sometimes they far exceeded the recommended range of length, 600-800 words, as set out in the SEC Circular S60/05 and in the “Guidelines for Candidates” on the RSR booklet
    ."

then people went over the guidelines and would have lost marks.

**edit**
    It's actually the first thing mentioned in the 'Recommendations' which means it is viewed very seriously indeed.
    That's referring to the ordinary level project^. There may be a difference with the Higher level one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

That's referring to the ordinary level project^. There may be a difference with the Higher level one :confused:
    If they set a word limit for ordinary and complain if you don't keep within it, then they're not going to make the word limit for higher a "guideline" :p The other way, maybe!

UnionOfV wrote: »
    If they set a word limit for ordinary and complain if you don't keep within it, then they're not going to make the word limit for higher a "guideline" :p The other way, maybe!
    The higher does contain a lot more detail and whatnot though?

Still, the same idea matters that you shouldn't go over the word-count. Just because you know certain people doesn't mean that every single person got away with going over the word count. I'm sure there have been some scripts that went over and were penalized, without some people knowing, like yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

The higher does contain a lot more detail and whatnot though?
    Hence the higher word limit, but a capable higher level student should adhere more rigidly to the guidelines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not much. Here's the whole report if you want to read it.

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2006/History_LC_Report_06.pdf

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

From that report:
    In the vast majority of cases the extended essay was well written, but sometimes they far exceeded the recommended range of length, 600-800 words, as set out in the SEC Circular S60/05 and in the "Guidelines for Candidates" on the RSR booklet.

It's labelled 2006 but it shows that examiners and markers see that the word count is sometimes breached.

I was at a history lecture given by one of the head examiners and she said no one's ever been penalised for going over the word limit. That being said, I'd say anything over 1800 is a bit far... (mines at 2100 atm >.<)

I was at a history lecture given by one of the head examiners and she said no one's ever been penalised for going over the word limit. That being said, I'd say anything over 1800 is a bit far... (mines at 2100 atm >.<)
    That's my teacher:rolleyes:. It seems to not matter as long as it fits in the book.

It's very dodgy ground to second guess what the Commission will do when the stated policy and guidelines are quite clear. If going over the word count was not an issue it would not have been mentioned in the CER.

I personally know candidates who lost marks because of exceeding the word count so whoever that person is (examiner, advising examiner, or chief examiner), they are mis-informed or speaking in general terms.

Meh, looking in from the outside, I'd rather it was enforced. :)

Well if there are penalties for exceeding the word limit, does anyone know how big the penalties are or how they work? Is it worth the risk? I don't see how it will be possible to cut my essay down below 1800 words without losing important reference to sources and historical critique.

Well if there are penalties for exceeding the word limit, does anyone know how big the penalties are or how they work? Is it worth the risk? I don't see how it will be possible to cut my essay down below 1800 words without losing important reference to sources and historical critique.
    Mine's 2000ish and it's not changing.

The odds of an examiner docking you marks are very slim. Read the last two pages, there was a good ol' discussion as to whether anyone's been deducted marks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

I haven't read through the last few pages. But what we were told when I did it, was that as long as yer essay isn't all squashed in at the end you'll be fine. I think mine was 800 words or something over the limit yet had a page and a half free at the end of the extended essay section so was fine. Got 100/100 for it too.

As long as it's neat, legible and not all crammed in I'd imagine you'd be alright.

I'm not sure of the penalites. Look at your work critically; is all your material good? Is it useful and relevant? Does the work stick to the question/title? Question your work and constanly check it for weak points that you can discard.

If there's any areas that you're unsure of, attack it and re-bolster your argument without going over the word count, easy for me to say of course.
    Mine's 2000ish and it's not changing.

The odds of an examiner docking you marks are very slim. Read the last two pages, there was a good ol' discussion as to whether anyone's been deducted marks at all.

I think you're missing the point. It's important to abide by the wordcount somewhat, 200 or so above and below is acceptable I take it but an important skill that must be learned is how to compact and compress information and still use it. By doing this, you're staying on course, you're staying interesting and staying relevant. By "it's not changing", that sounds very stubborn. Do you mind telling me what the project is?

I'm not sure of the penalites. Look at your work critically; is all your material good? Is it useful and relevant? Does the work stick to the question/title? Question your work and constanly check it for weak points that you can discard.

If there's any areas that you're unsure of, attack it and re-bolster your argument without going over the word count, easy for me to say of course.

I think you're missing the point. It's important to abide by the wordcount somewhat, 200 or so above and below is acceptable I take it but an important skill that must be learned is how to compact and compress information and still use it. By doing this, you're staying on course, you're staying interesting and staying relevant. By "it's not changing", that sounds very stubborn. Do you mind telling me what the project is?
    I didn't mean to come across as stubborn. It's just that I finished my project in December, for the second time (repeating) after a lot of work so I don't want to change it:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

I didn't mean to come across as stubborn. It's just that I finished my project in December, for the second time (repeating) after a lot of work so I don't want to change it:rolleyes:.

I wasn't insulting you btw! Ah okay, I can understand why you don't want to change it. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement