Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total security infection

Options
  • 27-08-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody could help me.2 days ago my home pc showed an icon down the bottom right hand corner in the icon tray and subsequently my computer started doing scans telling me i was infected with all sorts and should buy Total Security which i knew was fake.My pc got so slow it is unbearable-Im sure you guys have seen this a million times before.
    I searched the internet and found mine was a common problam so i searched lots of forums and took all the advice that was handed out.I downloaded malwarebytes,ccleaner,and spybot,i updated them all and ran them and scanned with AVG also.Between them they found a lot of things,so i deleted them and i then saw the icon for total security was gone so i restarted my computer thinking that was the end of it but my computer is still really,really slow,i dont understand this as all the programs cant find anything else.Please can anyone help point me in the right direction?Ive heard of Combofix but i dont think im experianced enough to use it.I use Mozzila.Thank you

Here is my Hijackthis log(i havent a clue what any of it means) or i could do you a diferent one if you want:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 13:04:25, on 26/08/2009
    Platform: Windowsmag-glass_10x10.gif XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgam.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\StkASv2K.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

I see you have posted here as well

http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/855643-total-security-infection.html

It is a waste of helpers time when you post at multiple forums

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dannyo666

Didnt think it was a crime to try to get help elsewhere and as you can see I got no reply from when i posted 3 days ago.I didnt even know boards.ie had a virus and malware removal section until i typed "total security infection" into google ireland yesterday.If I had known i would have come here first.I have no intention of "wasting anybodys time"

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

Download the free version of MalwareBytes here. Install it, update it and then run a quick scan.

Thanks Waynewex,

Thanks for the reply,ive downloaded malwarebytes and done a scan already and it did find a few things which i deleted but my computer is still painfully slow even though all the cleaners/anti-virus are not picking up anything but there has to be something,just cant figure it out.

Thanks again for the reply

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Download the free version of MalwareBytes here. Install it, update it and then run a quick scan
    Hi, have just had the same problem with this bloody thing, and I installed the above software but I cant open it after installation, so how do I know if its working or not. I also tried to restore my computer but can't do that either. Could someone give more advice on this please, James

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that jimmy-toatal security is a nightmare but i think my pc is back to %95,all i did was download malwarebytes,ccleaner and ad-aware,updated them all and ran them,they are all free.Some pick up things that others didnt so i think these 3 programs are a goo combo.I also have tuneup utilities 2009 which i think helped.As for not being able to open malwaerbyted,try downloading it again,i would think this is a problem on your part and not the program

Just ask if you need more help-i was in your situation a few weeks ago and its not nice

Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

jimmyw wrote: »
    Hi, have just had the same problem with this bloody thing, and I installed the above software but I cant open it after installation, so how do I know if its working or not. I also tried to restore my computer but can't do that either. Could someone give more advice on this please, James

What happens once you try to open it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Nothing I am afraid, well at times it does actually say that its still running but cant be sure. Anyway remember I said that I could not restore my computer, well I put it into safe mode and then was able to do it and the bloody rogue sofware is gone I hope :eek:;) James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sinead999

Hi I'm new to this site, so please bear with me if I've posted wrong.

Our laptop has the same Total Security problem. I've ran AVG, Anti-malware, Spybot numerous times throughout the day. I've also carried this out in safe mode. I am at my wits end and ready to throw the laptop out the window. Everytime I've done the above it looks like it's gone. Then when we go to re-start either later in the day or the next, it pops back up. Sometimes it has a blue background on the desktop with white text stating that the computer is infected. Has anyone completely gotten rid of this and if so can you point me in the right direction, as I don't know what else to do.

Thanks

Sinead,

Download malwarebytes,ccleaner and adaware(all free),update and run,good to do in safe mode.This is what sorted my machine out.I ran a scan also with nod32.Im back to 95% now

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sinead999

Thanks! Time will only tell if I can eventually get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xprepairs

Is your problem resolved yet? If not, post back and I'll help you clean up the PC, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 greentoymonkey

Everytime I boot my Pc i get the following error msg:

Error loading C:\Program Files\Common Files\ParetoLogic\UUS2\UUs.dll

"The specified module could not be found."

I dont know if this is part of the same problem but since I have been getting this or around the same time, I have not been able to access my "My Computer" File. I cant even use the run fuction to access its subfolders.

When I do click "My Computer" the Pc freezes and I have to do a forced restart.

Have you got any ideas on what might be happening to my Pc? :(

Any help is good help, I will try anything!

Thanks Lads,

GTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Everytime I boot my Pc i get the following error msg:

Error loading C:\Program Files\Common Files\ParetoLogic\UUS2\UUs.dll

"The specified module could not be found."

I dont know if this is part of the same problem but since I have been getting this or around the same time, I have not been able to access my "My Computer" File. I cant even use the run fuction to access its subfolders.

When I do click "My Computer" the Pc freezes and I have to do a forced restart.

Have you got any ideas on what might be happening to my Pc? :(

Any help is good help, I will try anything!

Thanks Lads,

GTM

try this first
    http://www.utilitysoftwarereviews.com/how-to-remove-paretologic-uusdll-error-message/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 greentoymonkey

Although it has solved my problem of getting that error message when i start my pc up, it has not changed the fact that i cannot view files in "My Computer".

Every time i click the "My COmputer" icon it slows down, then diplays the torch swaying from side to side then i get a microsoft error msg and i must close it!

It is so frustrating because i cant upload photos from my digi cam or anything!

Please help again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xprepairs

Although it has solved my problem of getting that error message when i start my pc up, it has not changed the fact that i cannot view files in "My Computer".

Every time i click the "My COmputer" icon it slows down, then diplays the torch swaying from side to side then i get a microsoft error msg and i must close it!

It is so frustrating because i cant upload photos from my digi cam or anything!

Please help again! :)

Hi greentoymonkey, try this, I replied in a different forum and this seemed to work for the poster.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer
    2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Internet Options.
    4. Click the Advanced tab.
    5. Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check box.
    6. Restart Internet Explorer

Or, type Inetcpl.cpl in RUN box and follow steps 4-6. Applies to My Computer, Win Explorer, IE

Advertisement